PDA

View Full Version : jumpy calf muscles

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

_wilow
Wed, Nov-28-01, 19:11
Hi all,
I've been on and off the adkins diet for a while and lately my calf muscles have been twiching like crazy. I'm on a multivitamin and take extra potassium. Does anyone else have this? I took a week off of the diet during Thanksgiving and the symptoms went away. Now after a few days back on the diet they've returned. Help?

doreen T
Wed, Nov-28-01, 20:16
If the problem is worsening ... I'd suggest a visit to the dr. to rule out a pinched nerve problem. Otherwise, the problem is likely nutritonal. Muscle cramping, twiching, Restless Legs Syndrome, Charley-horse ... all are symptoms of lack of magnesium. Most adults need 400-500mg per day .. and multivite pills never have enough in them.

Magnesium works in tandem with calcium. In truth .. it's calcium that's causing the nerves to misfire to the muscles, making them twitch or spasm. But the problem isn't with the calcium (transmitting nerve impulses is its job) .. the problem is that magnesium is required to CONTROL the calcium functions.

It's best to take magnesium together with calcium, in a ratio of 2Cal:1Mag. Fortunately they are readily available together in supplements ... either 333mg Cal:167mg Mag (take 3 per day) .. OR .. 500mg Cal:250mg Mag (take 2 per day)

Another thing worth noting is that going on and off a low-carb diet isn't the same as going on and off a low-calorie diet. Low-carb will create a certain metabolic state in your body, where insulin is controlled and your liver is converting burned fat into ketones. Repeatedly going low carb, then eating sugars and starch, then back to low carb, then more sugars and starch ... is really hard on the metabolic system. Yo-yo'ing insulin levels especially can and will disrupt the balance of important minerals, in particular potassium .. and magnesium.

Doreen

_wilow
Sat, Dec-01-01, 06:21
Thank you for the reply. I went and got some mag/cal supplements so hopefully that will help. About this yo yo thing, if I feel like I need to cheat is it better to just cheat for one day and then get back on it? I've been cheating for a week or two at the time and then getting back on it. In other words, will a day of eating sugar/carbs upset the insulin levels where it'll be dangerous? When I used to do this diet I'd cheat every other Sunday and just eat whatever I wanted. I never gained any weight and it helped me stay on the program.
Thanks again for your help. Lisa :)