PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Crust: almost no carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

zajack
Sat, Sep-03-05, 14:42
I didnt come up with this recipe and have no idea where I got it...but didnt see it in here so I thought I'd post it.

(kinda gotta wing the amounts...I go based on how it looks)

4 cooked chicken breasts (cut up for easier processing)
3 eggs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
garlic, basil, etc (italian seasonings) that appeal to you
(i use alot of garlic & basil) :D

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until you've got a fairly goopy thick liquid.
(I use the blender because I dont own a processer)

Rub a cookie sheet (stoneware is the best) with olive oil (or spray pam on it) and pour mixture into pan spreading so that it's an even thickness.

Bake until light brown & firm ~ 350

Now...two options:
1) add your toppings and bake until cheese looks done for a whole pizza
or
2) slice into squares and top as you need them ~ I usually do this because then you also have the option of using the squares as bread for sandwiches.

Wish I knew where I got this so I could give credit...suffice to say it's not mine but I use it all the time.

Samantha22
Sat, Sep-03-05, 16:51
wow thats an interesting idea..and sounds good..i'll have to try it!~

IslandGirl
Mon, Sep-05-05, 14:46
Oh cool. A chicken version of the Meatza Pizza...!

karrier
Mon, Sep-05-05, 16:39
It is up for dinner tonight. Will let you know how the family likes it.

Nancy LC
Mon, Sep-05-05, 16:40
Interesting... so you puree the chicken and make a meat crust? That might be a good one for my diet, which is pretty low calorie but very high protein. Chicken breasts is a staple on this diet. :)

surrealme
Sun, Sep-18-05, 19:51
I wonder, can you use canned chicken for this dish?
me.

erinleigh
Mon, Sep-19-05, 11:18
Wow, what a great idea! Hmmm.... I am going to have to try this!

IslandGirl
Mon, Sep-19-05, 19:09
I wonder, can you use canned chicken for this dish?
me.

Seems to me, cooked chicken is cooked chicken is cooked chicken....;)

Whyever not?

kevinpa
Sun, Dec-04-05, 16:47
Wish I knew where I got this so I could give credit...suffice to say it's not mine but I use it all the time.

OMG! Where ever you got it, you have a winner here.

I made this for dinner tonight and followed your directions and used 2 teaspoons of Good Seasons italian dressing mix as the spice.....Yum

with the pizza sause I used at 21 carbs and a scant few more for toppings.....it worked out to 3 carbs a sliceand oh so good.

thank you for posting this....its a keeper:thup:

zajack
Sun, Dec-04-05, 21:58
:D s'all I gotta say... :lol:
glad you liked it...hope others do too...it can be a bit pricey if your chicken wasnt on sale...but still worth it for a pizza night treat. (specially now that football season is here :lol: ) Safeway has boneless skinless breast on sale this week here (4 pounds for 5.49...I've already bought 5 bags and am going back for 3 more tomorrow for use with this and the chicken brocolli bake (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178168) (I make braids of it on christmas eve for family and then bring a small casserole for me. :D ) Anyway...that price makes this crust pretty reasonable!!!

kevinpa
Sun, Dec-04-05, 22:13
i used a 1 1/2 lb package of skinless breast finger for $4.30.....was just the right amount.

at least now i know how long bake till its golden and firm is.....lol

kevinpa
Sun, Dec-11-05, 19:37
One of the things I missed the most living a LC lifestyle was pizza. Although the LC variations have been great, there still alway seems to be something missing.

Anyway, I was so impressed with this recipe that I made it again hoping to improve it.
Here are a few changes that I have made the permanent part of my version of it.

I cook the chicken in semi boiling water with 3 bouillon cubes for 20 minutes.
When cool, I put in a food processor and grind to very fine and put to a large mixing bowl.

I then finely grated 3/8 cup of asigo cheese.(a softer cheese than parmesan)
And then add it to the chicken.
then I took 3 tablespoons of wheat protein isolate (unflavored whey or soy would work also if you have a problem with wheat) and added it to bowl along with the eggs and mixed it till sticky.

I then spread to the pan and after baked to firm and golden and what I had was a more of a crust-like texture.
There was enough flour to make a nice crust without adding more than 1 additional carb for the entire pizza.

I and my family loved it.

Thank you again for the original recipe!:yum:

kevinpa
Sat, Dec-17-05, 11:17
You guys have to try this recipe. I found a recipe using bisquik and tweaked it and made 2 versions of it last night for dinner. It is a Oh so simple Pizza Crust and so easy to work with.

version1 :
2 cups carbquik
1/4 cup very hot water
1/4 cup cheez whiz

version2 :
1 cups carbquik
1 cup wheat protein isolate
1/4 cup very hot water
1/4 cup cheez whiz

Stir flour, cheese whiz and hot water until soft dough forms. Place dough on surface sprinkled with carbquik; roll in carbquik to coat. Shape into a ball; knead about 5 times or until smooth. Roll or pat dough into 12-inch circle pizza sheet. Spread pizza sauce over dough. Top with veggies or favorite topping. Sprinkle with cheese

Bake ~ 375 degrees about 20 min

Yum!!

IslandGirl
Tue, Dec-20-05, 18:38
version1 :
2 cups carbquik
1/4 cup very hot water
1/4 cup cheez whiz

version2 :
1 cups carbquik
1 cup wheat protein isolate
1/4 cup very hot water
1/4 cup cheez whiz

Stir flour, cheese whiz and hot water until soft dough forms. Place dough on surface sprinkled with carbquik; roll in carbquik to coat. Shape into a ball; knead about 5 times or until smooth. Roll or pat dough into 12-inch circle pizza sheet. Spread pizza sauce over dough. Top with veggies or favorite topping. Sprinkle with cheese

Bake ~ 375 degrees about 20 min

Greetings, Kevin. I'm always interested in "Wheat Pro Isolate vs. Carbquik" experiments (I've got pots and pots of both ;) ).

Can you clarify a bit any pros and cons of the two versions?

Thanks!

kevinpa
Tue, Dec-20-05, 20:32
To be perfectly honest in this particular case, I didnt see a big difference in the 2 versions of the pizza, taste or texture. I tried both because I'm always striving for the lowest carbs with the best taste. They both were very easy to work with.....most low carb doughs I have found to be stiff and hard to work with. The cheese whiz made that a non issue and at the same time did not overpower the taste of the crust. It was a pleasent change from the LC pizza dough type crust I have tried in the past.

IslandGirl
Wed, Dec-21-05, 03:03
To be perfectly honest in this particular case, I didnt see a big difference in the 2 versions of the pizza, taste or texture. I tried both because I'm always striving for the lowest carbs with the best taste. They both were very easy to work with.....most low carb doughs I have found to be stiff and hard to work with. The cheese whiz made that a non issue and at the same time did not overpower the taste of the crust. It was a pleasent change from the LC pizza dough type crust I have tried in the past.

Hmmmm, interesting. I wonder what the qualities are of the Cheez Whiz that made this so much easier. Dang, I just tossed an old jar that would have made good experimental fodder... :lol: didn't think I'd ever find a use for it again. Silly me, suffering from a lack of imagination...;)

kevinpa
Wed, Dec-21-05, 04:54
I'm not sure but I have been working my mind overtime trying to think of other uses for it BTW that was the 5000 WPI that I used.

WyoDiva
Mon, May-01-06, 19:42
You guys have to try this recipe. I found a recipe using bisquik and tweaked it and made 2 versions of it last night for dinner. It is a Oh so simple Pizza Crust and so easy to work with.
version1 :
2 cups carbquik
1/4 cup very hot water
1/4 cup cheez whiz
Yum!!
Tried this one tonight...not too bad...gave me a 'mouth' and 'tummy' feel like a 'real' pizza crust. Only complaint - crust is a tad salty, but it is made with CarbQuik and CheezWhiz, for gosh sake!!!!!!!!!!!!

kevinpa
Tue, May-02-06, 00:05
Tried this one tonight...not too bad...gave me a 'mouth' and 'tummy' feel like a 'real' pizza crust. Only complaint - crust is a tad salty, but it is made with CarbQuik and CheezWhiz, for gosh sake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susanne, just pretend its an anchovy pizza :lol: sorry, just teasing.

I will have to revisit this. I bet I could now keep the real pizza crust feel and loose the salty taste.

WyoDiva
Wed, May-03-06, 15:58
I'm looking foward to it, Kevin. Your recipes are great!

And, this is the first time I made something with CarbQuik and could taste the salt...never have before, even though I've heard folks complain about it. :)

Mithlondwe
Mon, May-22-06, 13:44
THANK YOU for this original recipe!!! I made it over the weekend for my family. They LOVED it!!! Now, my husband knew what it was, and he and I were going into this recipe not expecting it to be exactly like pizza. It was great in it's own way. Now, my child, on the otherhand had no idea it wasn't the usual pizze dough, 4.5 years old LOVED it!!! I'm going to add this recipe into our meal rotation as a means to get protein into my son!!! Thanks again for posting it!

missymagoo
Sun, Aug-27-06, 17:33
this is great recipe. i have made it over and over again. i use it about once a week right now. sue

LadyBelle
Mon, Aug-28-06, 06:50
So is it the green can grated parmasan used, or the shredded? I want to try this for family, and maybe even use it to put in my son's lunch box as I am looking for healthier alternatives to his beloved PB&J

HalfPass
Sat, Dec-19-09, 11:09
I am bumping this because I made it years agoand then forgot it till recently..then it took awhile to find it again..so thought that others might enjoy :-)