PDA

View Full Version : UGH...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SAMTigress
Tue, Nov-27-01, 22:30
Hello. My name is Susan. I've been on a weight-loss roller coaster for years, and quite frankly, I'm ready to get off. My health has not only been effected by, but has effected my weight, due to past medications/illnesses. I've been really depressed and discourage about the ups and downs, etc...no more :roll: Its time to do something about it.

My mom started the Atkins diet eight days ago and has lost 7#'s already. We discussed the diet when I was down visiting with her a week ago. She bought Atkins' book for me and even highlighted some key points for easy access...she's great. Anyway, I've been reading the book, and will be starting the diet on Friday...I've been rearranging my kitchen, figuring out meals (I have a husband and teenage son to work around), and I go shopping Thursday so it seemed easiest this way.

I've got a wonderful support group on the homefront, but I need outside support too...people who've been there, done that, etc. That's you. Any input you have will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

itsjoyful
Tue, Nov-27-01, 22:44
happy you joined us. (everytime i say this i feel like i'm at an aa meeting) ;)
there is so much information here. everyone is quite helpful, and lucky for you, you'll be getting support from people close to you.
post often, and let us know how you are doing! :)
regards,
brenda

Ruth
Tue, Nov-27-01, 22:51
Hi SAMTigress,

and welcome to our LC support group. The best thing you can do for yourself right now? Drop everything and read Dr A's book cover to cover b4 you start to low carb. None of the help we can give you here replaces reading the good Dr's book. I'd also recommend Protein Power as another 'must-read' book.

Start drinking lots of water (til you float) and take a good multi-vitamin. Calcium/magnesium and potassium are other essential supplements you need when you start.

Be aware that the first 3 - 5 days you may feel yucky and this is just carb withdrawal. Be strong & you'll get through it and be feeling better soon.

Happy reading and good luck.

SAMTigress
Tue, Nov-27-01, 23:14
Thank you Brenda and Ruth for your input and encouragement. I know I'm lucky to have homefront support. It makes the battle much easier to win.

I'll put your suggestions to good use.

One question I forgot to ask, to any one who can offer advice/input:

I don't eat pork, so pork rinds and the like (for snaking) are out of the question. I like beef jerky and have a recipe for my dehydrator. I also like peach yogurt, but from what I've read, I can't have it. What other substitutions are there for a good/yummy snack?

Thank you.

itsjoyful
Wed, Nov-28-01, 11:13
hi-
homemade beef jerky is a great idea. it will give you alot of lean protein.
the first 2 weeks of atkins are pretty strict. "yummy" snacks are frowned upon by him.
the point of induction is to get your body into ketosis, and yummy snacks can sometimes prevent this.
it's only 2 weeks, and from then on you may not even want that. your taste will change.
i hope this helps, and whatever you choose to do, is up to you. there are other plans that allow different things. check out the links on the orange bar on top, or the quick links to your right. good luck to you,
brenda

Natrushka
Wed, Nov-28-01, 11:29
Originally posted by SAMTigress
What other substitutions are there for a good/yummy snack?

Hi Susan :)

You're going to find your tastes will change dramatically with LC; what is yummy today wont be in a few weeks. For now you're limited, as Brenda advised you. However there are things you can eat: Celery with cream cheese; pepperoni nuked until its crunchy with cream cheese smeared on top, SF Jello (just watch out you don't go overboard on this as it's got artificial sweeteners in it). The initial two weeks are meant as a detox; foods should be whole and unprocessed whenever possible. After Induction you can add things like high fiber fruits (strawberries, raspberries etc) and nuts and seeds (Macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds). It would be a good idea to get yourself a carb counter so you can keep track of your daily intake. There is also one on this website (at the top of ever page in orange highlight under "Low Carb Tools") you can use as well.

LCing is a lot of planning at first, but it will become second nature in next to no time.

All the best,
Nat

gwilson38
Wed, Nov-28-01, 11:59
You have come to the right place for support. There is a lot of info on this site and at the top where the orange bar is..there is a recipe section. Good luck with your new WOL. I know you are going to love it!!!