PDA

View Full Version : Westchester/Rockland NY Area

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KASSY
Tue, Nov-27-01, 10:59
Anyone from the Westchester/Rockland County areas? Looking for a buddy close to home.

bridetobe
Sat, Dec-01-01, 15:37
Is that close enough? I did the Atkins diet for several months before my wedding. The first week, I lost 4.5 lbs. Thereafter, I did not have much success and did not anticipate doing the diet again (thus the very dated user name). I did lose 12 lbs. for my wedding -- mostly nerves and walking around Italy for several days before the ceremony (we eloped). Unfortunately, I picked up a taste for seasoned olive oil soaked up with big hunks of Italian bread while I was there and have been indulging for the 5 weeks since we have been home. I suspect that the 12 are back and brought a few friends with them!!! Since Atkins is the only diet I have ever been able to stick to for more than a couple of weeks, I am giving it another try.

Look forward to hearing from you.

KASSY
Mon, Dec-03-01, 15:00
Congratulations on the wedding. I was just in Italy for 3 weeks this past summer, and boy did I gain. The food is so rich and delicious, I loved it. The helado on the hot summer days was wonderful as well.
Well, the olive oil is great for you, we just have to figure out something better to dip it into. Have you tried any of the low carb bread recipes in the recipe section? I am almost afraid to, because it just won't be the same. But, I guess out tastes also change the longer we low carb.
Also- the real green olive oil in Italy had such flavor to it. But I am sure there are some brands you can get here that are just as good.
Well, let me know if you find something to use that Olive Oil on- I would love to try it.
( I used to live in Orange County a few years ago- Washingtonville)
Kassy

bridetobe
Tue, Dec-04-01, 14:40
I will definately let you know if I find a good olive oil sponge. :) I tried bread made from the Atkins bake mix. It actually wasn't bad but I am very suspicious of these low carb products. I suspect that they have alot more carb content than they claim. I am wondering how long you have been doing the diet and how it is going. This is my 4th day back on Induction. So far, so good. No cheats. I am trying very hard not to weigh myself more than once a week so I don't know if I have lost anything yet. I am still an inexperienced low carber. I think I did Atkins for about 3 months before the wedding. Do you have any helpful hints or tips? I would appreciate the benefit of any experiences that you care to share.

KASSY
Tue, Dec-04-01, 15:37
Well, I have been doing this since November 6th and have lost 13 lbs.
I could have lost more, but had some setbacks after Thanksgiving and some holiday parties. I am sticking to the Induction Phase for another week. After this, I am going to start planning my meals better. I think I am off guard alot when I want a snack, and I don't monitor the cheese and nuts I have been snacking on.
I do enjoy this way of eating because I usually feel satisfied. Tips that I can offer you are to really drink the water. Everyone has been saying it helps flush out the toxins in your body, and it makes you feel good.
Vitamin supplements help, and keeping lots of protein snacks around. Not the prepackaged Atkins bars, etc... They do have hidden carbs in them (I just found this out the other day)
I have a hard time figuring all of that out- so I am just staying away from it.
I am going to try to bake the Peanut butter cookies in the low carb recipe section tonight. I will let you know how it goes.

hannahsmom
Tue, Jun-04-02, 17:11
Hi Kassy and bridetobe!

I live in Nyack and would love to join your buddy group. I work full time for IBM White Plains and have a little daughter (yippee) and an awesome husband ( the best cheerleader in the world except that he's a cycling nut and is always eating and never gaining an ounce).
I am starting week 2 of induction tomorrow and am in C1W1D3 of Body For Life.

Let me know how you guys are doing!

By the way, I picked up some amazing olive oil at Balducci's and make a tomato, garlic and onion salad that I just let sit in the olive oil and eat it as a side with steak or pork. Yum!

KASSY
Tue, Jun-25-02, 12:53
hello Nyack !!

I had left the site for quite some time, and have just rejoined. That salad sounds good. I think I will try it.
What is Body for Life ?

Meg_S
Fri, Aug-23-02, 12:27
Hi there, I am in Cold Spring - Putnam county, right across the river from West Point.
It is great to see some posts from this area!
Wondering.. would anyone like to get together on occasion to hike? There are wonderful trails just down the road. I used to hike all of the time (alone), and stopped for the summer (too hot)
Now I'm not feeling motivated, and also think it would be fun to meet new people in the area.

Btw, I'm 20, female, married, and friendly :)

Meg

Cheryl34
Sun, Jan-12-03, 23:32
Hi Folks,

I live in Westchester N.Y. and I know I need HELP! I am doing well, and not craving sweets and I have lost 5lbs in 1wk. but I have a long way to go. I could also encourage someone else. We got to stick together in this, this is not an easy trip!!

I love to hike, especially in Bear Mountain.

Anyway guys, I am new to this site, but let's keep in touch. Let's even get together and exercise. :wave:

SportGuy
Mon, Jan-13-03, 16:05
There appears not be many New Yorkers here and you guys were the closest, in terms of location, I could find. I just started on the Atkins plan and I am currently tipping in at 229 lbs and stand at 5'11''. At one time I weighed 170 lbs and was a high school athlete who had a lot of attention payed to me but now, after college I still play sports but I doubt anybody is paying attention. Anyway, lets get this thing started, I hope to loose 65 lbs by June. So that I can finally go to the beach and not be mistaken for a walrus.

Pobo
Mon, Feb-24-03, 14:32
I live in Manhattan but spend weekends in Mamaroneck. I'm not much for F2F, especially because I keep pretty busy on weekends with my bf (who does not follow Atkins, but has modified his diet because he is borderline Type 2 Diabetic).

Has anyone noticed how hard it is to find good meat, fish and vegetables in Southern Westchester? Even if I wanted to take the time and spend the money, Hay Day has really declined once they were sold. The local supermarkets and specialty stores do not carry fresh, organic products (or carry a very limited selection)and they are pricey just the same. Why don't we all demand better products?

Pobo

Pobo