PDA

View Full Version : coffee39

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

coffee39
Sat, Aug-27-05, 15:22
:q: :q: I started atkins diet 5 days ago. I have ketones in my urine and seem to have more energy. The problem I have is that I really feel sick to my stomach most of the time. Is this normal or has anyone else experienced this?

Maru1952
Sat, Aug-27-05, 16:01
Welcome Coffee,
I'm guessing your body is reacting to the switch from burning carbs and converting the excess glucose to fat to burning your body's fat for energy. DANDR refers to this as the low carb flu. It shouldn't last too much longer. If I'm off base here, experts, please correct me.

Debbyd
Sat, Aug-27-05, 16:18
Welcome coffee. It's great to have you here.

Debby

Laydebleu
Sat, Aug-27-05, 17:36
It sounds like the the low carb flu to me... I went through it. I had to force myself to eat my carbs and nothing sounded good to eat... it all made me sick to my stomach feeling... Anyway it does pass in a few day and you will even find you are hungry. So hang in there and it will pass.

Good luck on your low carb journey.

ICanDoThis
Sun, Aug-28-05, 23:14
Congrats to you for making the right decision to jump in with both feet again and go for lo-carb. I'm so sorry, it is making you not feel well. I found that this feeling goes away in 7-10 days, so take heart. It will be over soon... If you're needing some motivation, you are welcome to join our Christmas Challenge where you get to post 3 goals for the week and we're working our way down to 50 lbs lost by Christmas. We're there to encourage each other when needed. Come join us, and good luck on your journey! (link in my signature!)

Kikib1028
Mon, Aug-29-05, 00:45
Hello coffee39 and welcome to the forum. When I started atkins, I had the same feeling but it passed within a few day. Stick with it and within a few days it will pass. Good luck and happy LCing!

Usul001
Mon, Aug-29-05, 02:31
I also found that I had days where I felt rather sick in the stomach, but this was well into the diet and I had been in moderate to large ketosis for 3-4 weeks by then.

I found a reference somewhere to feeling nauseous due to very high levels of ketones, and I was always testing as 'large" when I was feeling a bit sick in the tummy.

Anyone else heard something similar?

Jiggerz
Mon, Aug-29-05, 07:04
Welcome to the forum, coffee :)