PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near Milwaukee? North of the city?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

spatzei
Mon, Nov-26-01, 07:24
Hi there!

Looking for an email buddy near Milwaukee. I live in West Bend and would love to find someone in the area that is doing this too!

Cheers! :roll:
Deb

KarenB
Sun, Dec-02-01, 19:42
Wow! I used to live in WB back in the mid-80s!

I'm in Lake Geneva--hardly north of the city, but it's a nice drive from here to there! I'd be all for email contact, and perhaps a meeting in Milwaukee somewhere--NOT a restaurant! LOL

Looking forward to hearing from you, Deb!

spatzei
Thu, Dec-06-01, 07:49
Glad to hear that there is another Wisconsinite on this site!! Roxygirl is also here in WI...

Great to see that you have lost so much on this WOL! What an inspiration you are to me! I would love the email contact too...and a meeting somewhere would also be fun - maybe a hike or something?? I am sure Roxygirl would probably like to join us!
My email is in my public profile...drop me one when you have a chance! :D

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

deb

jverhale
Mon, Dec-10-01, 14:04
Hi - I'm located in Muskego. It's nice to know some others who are from our area. Wisconsin has been inundated for so long with Weight Watchers that its great to find others who have found a better way as I have. I've run into many people who think I'm nuts and give me all the same rhetoric about going high fiber low fat. That has never worked for me long term. But this has. 23 lbs lost since August 6th. I look forward to hearing from you both. Pegm is also from Wisconsin - Eau Clare.

KarenB
Mon, Dec-10-01, 17:17
Muskego!!! That's literally just up the road from here--on Hwy 36, if memory serves. I used to live in Oak Creek and commute to LG daily. I knew that road *very* well. :D

We *do* need to find a way to meet somewhere!

spatzei
Mon, Dec-10-01, 18:34
Hey there jverhale! Glad to see another "one of us"!!

KarenB, have you lived all over??? LOL :lol:

We do need to find a way to all get together sometime after the holidays! I know KarenB, that you said after Val-day, that would work too as the winters are very busy for me....teaching downhill skiing! :)

Let's do keep "up to date" on one another so we can keep the motivation going in WI!!

KarenB
Mon, Dec-10-01, 18:45
Originally posted by spatzei

KarenB, have you lived all over??? LOL :lol:

Well, let's see.... I moved to West Bend in 1984 from Schaumburg IL. ( I was born in Freeport, went to school in German Valley and Forreston, college in Rockford, had my first apartment in Rockford, moved to Schaumburg after I got married.)

Then I moved to--bear with me, it's been a while since I've enumerated the cities--Greenfield, Williams Bay, Lake Geneva, Delavan (two apts within the same complex), Oak Creek (two different addresses), and back to LG.

Does that count as "all over"? :D

spatzei
Mon, Dec-10-01, 18:54
Kind of sounds like me! Born and raised in Milwaukee, moved to Austria, then New York, Vail Colorado, and now West Bend.

LOL

KarenB
Mon, Dec-10-01, 18:59
Aaah, but you see, you went international on us. :D

I just schlepped around Walworth and Milwaukee counties. LOL

spatzei
Mon, Dec-10-01, 19:05
:lol: :lol:

jverhale
Mon, Dec-10-01, 19:44
You've both been more places than me. I've lived a very sheltered life!
Born in West Allis, grew up in Hales Corners and Franklin. Got married moved to Mequon then Muskego.

Spatzei - I go skiing once a year with my friends at Whitecap in the UP. I've never been to Colorado. Do you teach at Little Switz? I'm not very good, but I can get down the black diamonds knowing that the wine hut is at the bottom... It's the most exercise I get all year. But it's the best.

KarenB - do you ski? You're near some hills aren't you?

KarenB
Mon, Dec-10-01, 19:53
I've cross-country-skiied once, a few years back. Would LOVE to do that again.

As for downhill, my knees aren't the best, I'm rather leery of even trying that sport.

Hills? Well, there's Alpine Valley just up 120 from me, and Wilmot Mountain (so-called), and a few others I think.... but I never pay much attention to them. :)

Cross-country.... aaah yes, now there's something I would be happy to join in. I wanted to go last year with my honey, but time got away from us and we never went.

jverhale
Tue, Dec-11-01, 07:48
I've gone x-country skiing but not in many years. I have skis but I don't know if they're any good any more. I enjoyed going out to the southern kettle moraine area. I almost got lost out there once but we eventually found our way back to the car. That would be something fun to try again.

Bevb
Sat, Feb-02-02, 22:19
Hi,
I've been on Atkins a week now, starting second week of induction. I live in Cascade WI, not all that far from West Bend. I would love to share e-mails. Husband and I are both on, he is disabled with COPD and low carb and high protien is suppose to be good for copders.
Would love to here from other Wisconsinites. :wave:

jverhale
Mon, Feb-04-02, 07:46
It looks like you've had some great success after just one week. I've been on for 6 months now and have only lost 25 lbs. I wish this would come off faster. But it certainly hasn't been difficult like being on a low-fat diet was in the past. I'd be happy to correspond via email about your successes or frustrations.

JulieV

spatzei
Sat, Feb-09-02, 06:27
Hey Julie!!

Great job on the 25lbs...

I am starting over on Induction on Monday...been very sick, travelling alot doing interviews all over Wisconsin and Michigan and just not sticking to this WOL.

My 30th is next week so I decided that is going to be my turning point...here's to New Beginnings!!

Deb :wave:

Bevb
Sat, Feb-09-02, 07:05
Hi all Wisconsinites, Well just ended week and scale did not budge although I didn't cheat. I do know my clothes got looser though. Put on a blouse yesterday that all the buttons closed lol.
At Christmas I could not shut the lower buttons, so something is happening.
I think the slower loss with me is I had already lost 14 lbs on Weight Watchers, so water loss was gone. But it took me over three months to lose that.
Oh well, induction for another week I guess. :(

KarenB
Sat, Feb-09-02, 09:25
SPATZEI!!!!! I wondered where you'd gone, woman!! Glad to hear you're back. Goodness, you've been globetrotting. :)

Bev, welcome! Where in WI are you? I'm down here in beautiful Lake Geneva. Some of us had talked a few months back about trying to arrange a get-together later in spring when the weather improves--like maybe July! :lol: Are you up for it?

Bevb
Sat, Feb-09-02, 10:13
:wave:
Good Morning Karen,
I am from Cascade which is about 20 miles north of West Bend. This is my second time around on Atkins. Lost almost 50lbs about 10 yrs ago and gradually gained back too much over the last 4-5 yrs. Have to learn to live this way the rest of my life.
A get together sounds good in spring.

KarenB
Sat, Feb-09-02, 11:53
Okey doke, Bev, I got a bead on ya now. I used to live in WB myself, from 1984-1986 or thereabouts (I moved a lot in the 80's, it's hard to remember just where I was in what year).

Let's be thinking about when and where to meet, and we can all pat one another on the back for how great we've done! :D

jverhale
Mon, Feb-11-02, 07:43
Good morning fellow Wisconsinites. I'm a little blue today. I just don't seem to be losing any poundage. I keep hovering week after week between 201-198 pounds. My daughter and I joined Curves hoping that some exercise would help take off the pounds. It's been a month now and there's been no change on the scale. The only thing I can think of now is to give up my Coffee and I've tried that in the past and it didn't seem to make a difference. That was tough! No caffine! I've been on the WOL since August 6th - 7 months - and only 25 lbs. The weight just seems to slide off some people! I'm sure the stress here at work isn't helping any. They keep laying off more people and giving those left more work to do... I just want to quit, but having no money would simply increase my level of stress!! I'm sorry I'm posting a bummer post, but I'm looking for some words of encouragement.... Help! :(

Bevb
Mon, Feb-11-02, 08:01
:bhug:
Hi Jverhale
I get discouraged too when the scale does not move, but the inches are going. Have your clothes felt looser. That's always a good sign. I think sometimes you have to stabalize a little and it shows in inches, at least to me it does.
Have you been entering your menu in a journal, maybe you need a little help there.
I started on Weight Watchers back in early Nov. and only lost about 14 lbs in 3 mths., decided it was too slow and came back to Atkins. Lost 3 lbs the first week and nothing the second, but I think the scale is moving again.
Hang in there. All of a sudden things will happen again.
Karen, would love to meet in summer. By then we should both be looking very good, I hope.
Bev

KarenB
Mon, Feb-11-02, 17:50
Jverhale, hon, don't give up the ship!

I played around with the same blasted 5lbs for *months*. 190, 185, 190, 185, 190... I thought I was going to go mad.

That's when it was suggested to me that I cut back on the AS, as I was drinking quite a few sodas during the day and *gasp* cheating with a chocolate now and then. I *also* found out I wasn't eating enough. (That was the first time. Turns out I *still* wasn't eating enough, but I've fixed that for real now. :) ) Are you sure you're taking in your weight times 10-12? My *minimum* caloric intake has to be from 1750 to 2100. *Minimum.* I upped that to anywhere from 2300 to nearly 3000 last week--and I LOST A POUND! Good heavens--eating that much and losing weight??? Hey, that's how this WOL works. Ain't it great?

Those are the suggestions I can give you off the top of my head. I'm going to go hunt for your journal--you *do* have one, don't you? *hint hint* :)

Bev, you bet we'll be looking hot by summer. I already have the black halter top and the hot pink off-the-shoulder tee folded and waiting on the shelf.... :lol:

Bevb
Mon, Feb-11-02, 19:52
:daze: Jverhale, that's a great incentive, but I think I'm a little old for that, but sure would like to get new jeans that fit. Can't wait for that. then I can get my western boots out again. lol

jverhale
Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:15
Thanks for the kind words. It is possible that I'm not getting enough calories. Sometimes I feel it's such a hassle to cook that I just don't eat much at all. I do have a journal, but haven't been writing my menu's. I'll try and fill that in. I finally got my computer working again. We had AOL and they couldn't do anything more to help me, so I got a new on-line service tonight (Core.com) was execpc. I can finally go on-line again. The kids will be so happy. Well at least I accomplished something today.

Thanks all.

juliev

Bevb
Tue, Feb-12-02, 19:11
:yay: scale finally moved, 2 more lbs off, I have really been working on drinking more water. Also eating more, I think I was not eating enough. I still have a problem with lunches, get sick of salads every lunch and can't get out go get anything. :spin:

jverhale
Wed, Feb-13-02, 11:34
Good for you BevB :thup:

Soinwi
Tue, Mar-26-02, 09:35
Hey

I wanna join you guys I'm in greenfield and would love some support from the locals as well. My email is in my profile. Hope to talk to some of you soon

Sonja :p

jverhale
Tue, Mar-26-02, 12:30
Welcome Sonja. I hope you'll find success with this plan. I've been low-carbing for 8 months now and find that I feel much better than ever before. I still have a way to go, but it's better than not doing anything!

One of the things I've found helpful is the low carb bread I've found at Pick N Save. The one I enjoy is made by Village Hearth and is 14 carbs per 2 slices. - 4 grams of fiber = 10 grams for 2 sl.

They also make a hamberger bun with the same stats.

Pass along any tips you have. I'll be happy to correspond...

Good Luck in your WOE.

Julie

LAH
Sun, Mar-31-02, 21:00
Another Wisconsinite here--just posted for the first time today!!
Would love to chat on line for ideas and support!

KarenB
Sun, Mar-31-02, 21:08
I'm only about an hour from you, in Lake Geneva! It'd be great to get together sometime--several of us had talked briefly about it, and then of course we all got busy and any planning fell by the wayside.

Care to try again, ladies? Meet for lunch somewhere, or for a walk once spring *really* arrives? :D

jverhale
Mon, Apr-01-02, 08:26
You know, I think that would be fun to meet and share experiences and chat. Where do you think would be a central area?

KarenB
Mon, Apr-01-02, 16:59
I'm thinking somewhere in the metro Milw area. I'm here in LG, we've got Spatzei up in West Bend, and now Racine.... and you're in Greenfield, right? I know there were others who said they'd be up for it.... maybe one of them will have a better idea?

Somewhere kid-friendly gets my vote. I'll more than likely have the little one along with me and heavens know she gets bored right quick when the "grownups" are chatting. :D

Bevb
Mon, Apr-01-02, 18:18
:wave: Hi I am in Cascade, don't forget about me. I am about 50 miles north of Milwaukee. I would enjoy meeting. What age groups are all of you in? I'm 63
Bev

KarenB
Mon, Apr-01-02, 19:51
I knew there was someone else who'd said "Aye" to a meeting!

Still sounds like the metro area's the best bet, as the farthest of us are about equidistant from there.

Age? Oh, that pesky number.... with a 5-year-old daughter, I try not to think about that too often. :D Class of '75 for h.s., got the BA in '79, born in a blizzard in January 1958. That'd be.... um.... 44. Yeah. 44.

LAH
Mon, Apr-01-02, 21:19
Hi Karen-
Thanks for the reply! It's great to know that there are so many of you out there..and fairly close to home. I would love to meet and chat with you all, too. I am a 36 yr old stay at home mom. I have a 5 and 2 yr old that usually go where ever I go. I suppose I could convince my hubbie to miss golf one Saturday! LAH

Soinwi
Wed, Apr-03-02, 21:12
Greenfield here!! I'd love to get together and some place kid friendly would be great!!

HOPE TO GET TOGETHER SOON!!!
Sonja :D

Soinwi
Wed, Apr-03-02, 21:16
Julie

Thanks for the bread tip!! I will check it out next time I go to Pick N' Save. May have to say that for special treats. I really used to love bread and may eat the whole loaf!!!LOL

Sonja :D

jverhale
Thu, Apr-04-02, 09:14
I'm in Muskego. I'm 40, with two kids Angie-13 and Joey-11. I'm up for a meeting, but I won't bother to bring the kids. Angie is on the diet with me as is my husband (supposedly) however he cheats A LOT.

Julie

KarenB
Thu, Apr-04-02, 19:38
Sorry, I spaced that one. I remember it now that you say it, though.

How does the second or third weekend in May sound? I have a commitment on May 4, and I'm leaving for a week's vacation over Memorial Day. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :D

Bevb
Thu, Apr-04-02, 20:48
:Party: Sounds good to me, just let me know where. Another month should get me into some neat spring clothes

jverhale
Fri, Apr-05-02, 07:44
The weekend of May 11-12 is good for me. I was thinking maybe there'd be a nice park somewhere central where the kids could pay and we could pack some lunches... or whatever. (if it's warm enough)

LAH
Fri, Apr-05-02, 15:45
I'm also open the weekend of the 11 and 12th of May. A park would be great --as I would have the little ones joining me. Let me know! Lisa

KarenB
Fri, Apr-05-02, 18:37
CALLING SONJA..... :)

What about somewhere in Root River Parkway? Is there a better park you know of? I haven't lived around there for quite a while, the only ones I'm familiar with any more are down Kenosha way....

There's always the Domes, we could sit outside there by the reflecting pool--but there are no playgrounds there.... ::sigh::

sln88
Fri, Jul-19-02, 14:54
Hi
I see that there are a couple of you that are close to me- I am from Franklin, and saw that there was someone from Greenfield and someone from Racine on here. Anyone interested in getting together to exercise? I need a kick in the butt to get me moving!

How do you send private emails to people? I tried to do that but was not allowed.

Sandy :wave:

jverhale
Mon, Jul-22-02, 08:11
Hi SLN88

I see you're starting your new way of eating today. Good luck to you! I've been low carb since last August. Certain times were more challenging than others but this WOL has changed my life. I've lost my weight very slowly (only 30 lbs in 1 year) but it was certainly better than putting more weight on.

I live in Muskego, grew up in Hales Corners and Franklin. My daughter and I go to Curves. Well we actually haven't gone since April - we've gotten really busy over the sumemr, but we'll probably start up again in the fall. I know what you mean about needing a kick somes times.

If you want to write me my email is jverhale~yahoo.com

Jeanner
Mon, Aug-05-02, 15:01
I am a fellow wisconsinite. We should arrange a LC Luncheon! :roll:

sln88
Tue, Aug-20-02, 16:54
Hi
I finally got serious(well, pretty serious- LOL) about LC'ing 3 weeks ago. I have lost 7 pounds so far, but have a way long way to go. I am a junk food addict, so this is hard for me. I finally have some motivation- we are going on a cruise next Feb, and I can't go looking like this! Where in Muskego do you live? I am around 35th and Ryan.
Nice to meet you!

jverhale
Wed, Aug-21-02, 06:28
hello sln88,
Best of luck to you on this WOE. Last year when I started I was a junk food / carb addict too. When I began eating this way, my cravings all but disappeared. However, if I did have too many carbs (cheated) it would take me a week to get back into the groove of no cravings. But now that I've been eating this way for a year, I can have a cheat food every once in a while and it doesn't affect my cravings the way it used to. I've been under a lot of stress and I know that this has been limiting my weight loss this summer.
I live by Lake Denoon (Kelsey and Racine Ave). I go by 35th and Ryan every week day morning. I work at P&H in Oak Creek. My chiropractors office is on 31st and Ryan (Krimpelbein). Small world. My sister used to live in the neighborhood behind his office on 29th and Hawthorne. He also owns the Oak Creek Gym on Ryan and Howell and is building a new building on Ryan and the freeway near you. If you're looking for a place to exercise you could check it out. It should be open in Oct or Nov.

Talk to you soon.
Julie

sln88
Wed, Aug-21-02, 14:50
Hi again
I am not sure where P&H is? I work at PPG industries in Oak Creek. That is on 13th near Ryan. I am familiar with the Chiropractic office and the gym. I would love to join there, but it is probably out of my price range. I joined Vic Tanney a few months ago. I only have to pay $9 a month and it includes child care. Would be well worth the money of I would go!!
Are you a gym member?
I am kind of disappointed in my results. 7# in 3 weeks is getting me no where fast. I seemed to lose more when I was cheating. My sister lost 13# the 1st 2 weeks, but then nothing last week.
I do seem to be doing better with the cravings. Last time I was on this diet I could not seem to get over them.
Nice talking to you!

jverhale
Thu, Aug-22-02, 11:47
My company is on Howell and ForestHill next to the Delphi (AC Delco) building. I know where the PPG building is. It must be nice to be so close to your work. The gym is not cheap thats for sure. My daughter and I belong to Curves for Women. They have little gyms all over. Haven't been there since April though.

I know how frustrating it can be not to lose. I haven't lost a pound since April. Hmmm... must coincide with the fact that I'm not exercising. My uncle lost 23 lbs in 2 months. Every body is different.

see ya!

sln88
Thu, Aug-22-02, 13:16
Hi
Duh- I forgot in your last post that you said you were at Curves. Must be the old age setting in!
Not lost since April? That must be frustrating. Are you losing inches? Do you have any idea why?
I saw the people on this thread talking about getting together- did you guys ever do that?
:wave:
I am back up a pound. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I think I need to eat more MEAT!

tcastro
Fri, Apr-02-04, 10:40
Doh, was searching for 'Wisconsin' in the forums and it apears I've bumped a 2 year old post :o

Ah well, maybe some of you still post here?

Hello Wisconsinites.

I'm from Milwaukee, WI. I'm on the Southside.

I've been LC since Feb 9th or so. Would be glad to meet other local LC's.

Someone also mentioned a workout buddy. I've been doing 60-90min/day of exercising and it would be more fun with a friend.

Any planned meetings yet?

sln88
Sat, Apr-03-04, 10:33
Hi
I am from the Franklin area. I have to say that I have not been too active on the active low carber forum! Need to get back into the diet and exercise.

Where on the southside are you?

tcastro
Sat, Apr-03-04, 12:54
Central South Side, near 8th & Mitchell.

sln88
Sat, Apr-03-04, 13:12
Central South Side, near 8th & Mitchell.

My daughter is in the play at the Modjeska. She has had rehearsals down there for the past 8 weeks. This is the last weekend of the play.

where do you work out?

tcastro
Sun, Apr-04-04, 10:00
At the moment, just at home.

I've got the Weider Crossbow Platinum 800, a heavy bag and speed bag setup and an exercycle.

momof4boys
Thu, Jun-10-04, 11:20
Hello everyone, I'm really close to west Allis, 60th and Oklahoma to be exact. I see a few of you on here are really close to me.
Tammy

twin2
Tue, Jun-22-04, 21:11
Hi I live in eldorado wisconsin, which is 7 miles west of fond du lac.

qnszdLinda
Fri, Jun-25-04, 05:55
I'd almost given up on this 2 year old thread, but I'm down here in beautiful Lake Geneva, and I can say that on a Friday, knowing that when I go out today, half of Chicago is going to be out there too!! :D But I like it here. Anybody in my neck of the woods??

db81971
Mon, Jul-12-04, 10:51
Spatzei.....

I'm sure you have already found a "buddy", but I am from West Bend too, and I am looking for a "buddy". If you know anyone, please let me know.

( I tried to email you a personal message, but I can't.... I'm new here, and I can't figure out how....)

Thanks
Beverly

db81971
Mon, Jul-12-04, 11:01
OMG.... I didn't even notice the post was 3 1/2 years old...... Ummm
anyone in the west bend area now?????? :lol: :lol:

Beverly

Karen___L
Mon, Jul-12-04, 20:43
I am from Kenosha and I wuold be willing to drive an hour for a meet up if a few other people would commit.

iasi
Tue, Jun-27-06, 09:32
Hi there!

Looking for an email buddy near Milwaukee. I live in West Bend and would love to find someone in the area that is doing this too!

Cheers! :roll:
Deb

hey...i live in neosho, which is an itty bitty place just an hour NW of milwaukee. i'm 7 miles west of hartford, if that helps...and i used to work in west bend. i work in hartford and juneau now and go to school at UWM.

it would be cool to have a meet-up sometime, maybe pot-luck...(salivate a the thought of a LC pot-luck...) :D

iasi
Tue, Jun-27-06, 09:34
oh hey...sometimes on a friday i'll go to pillllars coffee shop (on 5th st in WB, next to a bank) for the open mic...so maybe we could hang out...

:P