PDA

View Full Version : New from Berkshire - Diet Coke a problem?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kitten
Sun, Nov-25-01, 05:39
Hi All

After having followed the site for a couple of weeks now I am ready to come clean :)
I started this two weeks ago after coming back from holidays and the effect is really quite amazing - I have no bloating, much more engergy, inches are fast disapparing and most importantly no cravings or that dreaded 3 o'clock "will fall asleep right now if I don't get chocolate" feeling.

I got married in May and both hubby and I put on a stone since! So it is back down in time for Christmas and hopefully much further afterwards, but one step at a time...

However, the pounds are not shedding as fast as I would like and I think it might be due to Diet Coke, my last vice. Since I don't drink alcohol during Induction I had Diet coke over both weekends as frankly sparkling mineral water becomes really boring after a while! The weight went up and I have struggled to get it back down again

With December being the social month I really need to find something to drink whilst out...and saying "only water please" just convinces all my friends that I am pregnant, which is not the case!

I have been on other programs before and am normally never shy about explaining the finer details to everybody within earshot, but this one I would like to keep to myself at least for a while. Mainly because of "oh here she goes again" and also because this diet is still quite controversial.

So my introduction became a bit long- but the question still stands: Any problems with Diet Coke?

Louise

Elihnig
Sun, Nov-25-01, 05:55
Well Kitten, only you can answer that question. Some people have an intolerence to caffiene, and or the citric acid that comes with diet drinks and others do not. Maybe after induction you added too many extras and that is the culprit. If you want hands on analysis you could always start a journal here and then everyone could offer advice and coaching.

As for me, I only drink diet soda occasionally, maybe once a month if I happen to eat out, and even then sometimes I have unsweetened iced tea.

You could try ditching the soda and see if weight loss resumes, you could also try going back to induction at the same time, that would surely speed things up.

Elihnig

scotlass
Sun, Nov-25-01, 05:56
Hiya Louise

Diet coke, does seem to be a problem for some people as it has caffeine, you can get caffeine free coke (in the gold tin) but remember that for every glass of coke you drink you have to drink an extra glass of water. You could be stalling as sometimes it is only inches that you loose for a few weeks, but as long as it is a loss then who's bothered. This is the way you should be eating for the rest of your life. It is not a race and you will notice yourself shrinking, clothes getting bigger. On low fat diets , you maybe lost weight but most of it was muscle etc so you wouldn't have noticed as much difference in your clothes. Another reason people stop losing weight t is they are not eating enough, so there body is grabbing onto every bit of fat its got , thinking it is a famine that's going on. Hope this helps anymore questions just ask

bye scotlass

sabrina
Sun, Nov-25-01, 08:01
Hello, I have to agree with the others in that some people can stall with the diet coke because of the caffeine and the aspartimine. Aspartamine can be a staller for some. There is a good article on sweetners and aspartamine in the tips section at the orange bar on the top. I love diet coke as well but I only drink it when I go out to eat as well as my water, I try to have a glass of water also with my pop. At home though besides my water I drink diet rite cola. I t contains no caffeine,aspartimine,(sweetned with splenda instead of nutrasweet), sodium, and of course no calories. It wasnt that hard to get used to from diet coke because they are close in taste. So if you like your pop you might want to try this kind to see if it works for ya. Take care and good luck. sabrina