PDA

View Full Version : Hi, My name is Diane & I'm a carb. addict

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DianeP
Sat, Nov-24-01, 19:23
Sorry, just wanted a different topic ;). But really, I've just started a LC "diet". I read carb addicts, protein power, atkins & the zone last year. I tried LC then but didn't have a great deal of luck. I started again on 11/5 and lost 6 lbs. in 15 days (more would've been nice but hey I'm happy). I was always "blessed" as my freinds would say because I could eat literally anything and never gain a pound. I was all of 98 lbs at my heaviest. Well about 7 years ago I was put on anti-depressants and gradually started gaining weight. I bet you all know the feeling, you put on a few pounds and blame it on pms, water gain etc. And next thing you know you've gained a whole bunch of weight. I was up to 155 when I decided I had enough. I've done pretty well so far and this board has been a great place for ideas and inspiration. Because it was so long ago I really don't have the "plan" memorized and to be honest I just don't have the time to re-read the book again (Atkins). My goal isn't necessarily to be in ketosis but gradually change my eating habits (which will be tough because I despise cooking).What I have been doing is keeping my carbs right around 20 gr a day. I know if I start to count every single carb I'll get frustrated. At some point maybe I will as I learn even more but for now I'm experiencing loss so I must be doing something half right. LOL.
I have a couple questions though.
1) Do most of these plans have that 20 grams a day to start and then add more? I am going to read Atkins again.
2) I remember reading about leg cramps. I haven't had those but my back has been killing me for the past few days and I haven't done anything physically different. Just wondering, if it can affect your leg muscles why not your back?
Lastly, let me say you all have my utmost respect. It is NOT easy, I've tried diets and quitting smoking - not sure which has been harder. And watching my oldest boy who is overweight with his struggles physically, socially and emotionally has opened my eyes.
Good luck to all of you - I hope I can participate often but my life is pretty hectic!
Thanks - Diane

kezza
Sat, Nov-24-01, 20:29
DianeP,
I can really relate to your weight gain because of the medication.
I had slowly put on about 40 pounds over 10 years and then I needed 14 steriod injections over 7 weeks to protect my unborn baby's lungs.
After he was born I just blew up like a balloon. Even lots of exercise did not help. My metabolism was really stuffed- it basically just ground down to a crawl and I put on another 70 pounds in two years!!
I'm just glad I now know I have to eat LC or I will put weight on. It's taken me a long time to understand that fact. Now I just need to get on with life and learn to live without lots of carbs.
Unfair? maybe but that is the way my body is now.
Thanks for your story. :thup:
See ya ,
kezza :wave:

LC Sponge
Sun, Nov-25-01, 08:18
I can relate to never having to *diet* before.

I quit smoking and did the proverbial weight gain that all smokers are so afraid of. Before that, I was always slim. Sure is hard to teach an old dog new tricks! :) Couple that with the slowing of the metabolism thing - and weight loss can be QUITE the challenge.

Anyways welcome Diane - nice to have you around. Cooking is no biggie on this WOE, I find that just keeping the fridge full of fresh veggies, eggs, cheese, and meats is a sure fire way to keep things simple.

Hardboiled eggs, precooked meats, and ready made salads are hardly what I call cooking :)

RamonaK
Sun, Nov-25-01, 19:10
Hi Diane... welcome aboard....

I have been on a weight roller coaster most all of my life... My reason to lose has most often been to look better... until last year when I got sick and then all of a sudden.. NOW it is to feel better.. it has taken me a whole year to pull myself together... the last step was my weight.. and I had a strange thing happen on 2-3 occasions in a very short time span... the topic of diabetes kept coming up.... so being ever so faith in my God speaking to me through others and my life... I took it serious.. and sought out Atkins.. and so far.. it feels awesome.. I weigh in on Tuesday... for my 3 weeks.. I know I have lost at least 1 clothing size.. which feels incredible...

I turned 40 in August.. and decided the second half of my life.. was not going to be spent like the first.. in a desperation!!!!

Let's all stick together and melt the pounds off

Ramona