PDA

View Full Version : ketosis and pregnacy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sadia
Wed, Aug-10-05, 04:38
hi i have been reading the posts on these forums and i think i found my answer but to be on the
safe side i want to know one thing

i am on iductions and in ketosis started on 30 july
before that i had no plan to do it but me and my frend motivated each other so i staarted and lost about 6 pounds in 12 days

we were TTC last month before the diet ,and now my periods are overdue
i went to the doc and got my pregnacy test done but it was negative,but the doc said come after one week if u still don't have your periods
i am worried sick that if i am pregnant which i still don't know ,will being in ketosis harm the babay or should i wait till next week and finish my induction

please please i need some advice from all of you
i am so much worrried , i am having all the symptoms of PMS but no periods
what is going on
:help: :help: :help: :help:

dane
Wed, Aug-10-05, 04:58
Hi there!
I'd say don't worry........I know EXACTLY what you're going through! I was heavily in ketosis back in October '03, and in it for a month before I realized I was pregnant! My doc said not to worry about it........since I was having morning sickness and puking every day for the first 3 months, I was likely to be in ketosis every now and then anyway!

However, I still worried.......needlessly.......I had a healthy 9lb boy, who just turned a year, and has never been sick other than the occasional cold.

If you are TTC, it's not a problem to low carb, but make sure you are getting enough folic acid.......start taking a pre-natal vitamin now for extra insurance.

Good luck!

tigersue
Wed, Aug-10-05, 15:40
As a nurse you should be okay, think of all the women in other countries that are in ketosis because that is the way they live and eat and have healthy babies. You will be fine. Ketosis in of it's self is not a problem to the baby, Ketoacidosis is a problem for anyone, there is a difference between the two. Health care workers dont' like ketosis because it can mask other problems later in pregnancy, but don't worry about it otherwise. Taking care of you, is the best thing for a pregnancy, and being sure you have lots of green leafy veggies, and good meats, and taking vits is up there. You can have a healthy baby lc, I'm proof of that, and you will feel better too, by doing it.
Tanya