PDA

View Full Version : plateaus : Copout/excuse

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 07:34
plateau-
2 a : a region of little or no change in a graphic representation b : a relatively stable level, period, or condition

A platue occurs when the body gets used to a change. Alot of people use this as en excuse to go off low carb diets, or quit all together. That is just not how to handle this type of situation. Stop crying about it, stop complaing that you aren't loosing any more weight. And kick up your physical activity. Instead of going on the computer take a walk. Don't drive around the parking lot 10 times looking for a spot close to the entrance, just park further away and walk. Get more random physical activity in your daily routine. Take stares instead of an escalator. Don't be afraid to sweat. A plateau is a good thing. It means you have done something right, but now you have to kick it into high gear. I've seen and read to much whining and complaining about plateaus, they are more of a mental road block then a physical one.

kwikdriver
Mon, Aug-08-05, 07:36
Somewhere a bridge is wondering where its troll went. Won't you go back and keep it company? It misses you.

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 07:39
why am I a troll? because I don't pussy foot around an issue and speak my opinion? To me you are the troll.

KimNWI
Mon, Aug-08-05, 07:52
My god you are sooo offensive aren't you. I don't get how someone can be so cocky 3 or 4 weeks into a plan that you haven't even read the book on. As for whining (your choice for wording) this is a SUPPORT forum. People are suppose to come here and be able to express their fears. We do have a tips and stalls section BTW maybe you should READ it before you go and make generalizations. I agree in a sense because yes you can kick up your physcial activity in order to get your weight loss going again. Its the way you present your opinions that makes it hard to repond to you in a positive way. You seem so know it all that it just pisses me off to be honest. I don't know if its the way you intend to come off but cut us some slack here. We aren't as stupid as you act like we are, or as lazy.

KimNWI

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 08:01
I dont act like anyone is stupid. Don't be so sensitive, I have learned alot from this site. And have lived with people who did this diet when I thought it was BS and lost a ton of fat. The point of it is. A plateau is more mental and easily defeated. I'm just tired of people giving up or saying low carb doesn't work because they hit a speed bump.

ItsTheWooo
Mon, Aug-08-05, 08:13
plateau-
2 a : a region of little or no change in a graphic representation b : a relatively stable level, period, or condition

A platue occurs when the body gets used to a change. Alot of people use this as en excuse to go off low carb diets, or quit all together. That is just not how to handle this type of situation. Stop crying about it, stop complaing that you aren't loosing any more weight. And kick up your physical activity. Instead of going on the computer take a walk. Don't drive around the parking lot 10 times looking for a spot close to the entrance, just park further away and walk. Get more random physical activity in your daily routine. Take stares instead of an escalator. Don't be afraid to sweat. A plateau is a good thing. It means you have done something right, but now you have to kick it into high gear. I've seen and read to much whining and complaining about plateaus, they are more of a mental road block then a physical one.

Vince:
You're an extremely obese male. You've been dieting for 3 weeks. These factors (being extremely obese, male, and not on a diet long) all mean your metabolism is still very high and weight will fall off.
You are in the honeymoon stages and eventually it will slow down. While you are correct it's possible to overcome any stall with exercise, you are very much incorrect when you assert it is easy or simple to do because it's not. It's hard. Very hard. Many people are adverse to exercise. Many people are adverse to eating less.

You know it's one thing to suggest people eat less and exercise more to break stalls. I do that all the time, and totally agree with you there. It's another to be so berating and insensitive (i.e. "stop whining" or "just get your fat butt to the gym" type talk). It's not easy and you as someone with a weight problem should realize that. I guess you will start to appreciate how hard it is once you're no longer massively obese and therefore no longer experiencing a "free ride" metabolically ;). If it was so easy or simple to do these things, how did you end up staring down 400 pounds to begin with?

becky25
Mon, Aug-08-05, 08:21
nicely put woo

KimNWI
Mon, Aug-08-05, 08:24
eloquent as ever wooo :).

KimNWI

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 08:51
Im not massivily obese , im 23% body fat and 6' 1".
I found your post more hypocritical then eloquent.

Judynyc
Mon, Aug-08-05, 09:00
Vince
You are probably a very young man, still in your 20s. You need to get a wake up call on your self righteous banter!! You are really pissing off alot of people!! I'm one of them!!

I suspect that you are like this in your life too. You like to hear yourself talk!! :idea: You are no expert on weight loss or health. You are not even a success story....yet you think you know enough to tell people how to do it!! YOU DO NOT!!!

Get off your self proclaimed soap box and focus on yourself. If and when you reach your goal, then maybe I'll take what you say with a grain of salt.

And who told you that you are 23% body fat? :lol:

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 09:04
my doctor.

Jiggerz
Mon, Aug-08-05, 09:11
I found your post more hypocritical then eloquent.

No. Your profile says 5'11...which one did you fib on, the profile information or this post?

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 09:13
profile is wrong my girl friend made it for me along with my little turte thing

becky25
Mon, Aug-08-05, 09:28
vince...maybe if you tweaked your approach a bit. we are here to help each other, not attack.

ozzycrazy3
Mon, Aug-08-05, 09:31
You mean a women actually puts up with you?????

cygirl
Mon, Aug-08-05, 09:58
Somewhere a bridge is wondering where its troll went. Won't you go back and keep it company? It misses you.

You all wont like this but i read the post and I cant understand why everyone is jumping on this guy.
Everything that is in the post has a good point.People do go off the diet when they plateau?? I know i get sick of people wining and wining about being stuck.!

I also get sick of people wining to others about reading the book.(just my opinion)

I thought we were here to help each other not attack each other.

cygirl
Mon, Aug-08-05, 09:59
vince...maybe if you tweaked your approach a bit. we are here to help each other, not attack.

yep. :thup:

ozzycrazy3
Mon, Aug-08-05, 10:06
You're right Cygirl....we are here to support!!

I got carried away because of a previous post I read that Vince posted... :blush: Sorry about my previous post!!

cartmanis
Mon, Aug-08-05, 10:15
While I'll agree whining about plateaus does no good, and they certainly aren't a reason to stop eating low carb, I have to say that simply increasing your activity isn't some magic pill that necessarily makes a difference in losing more fat.

I lost around a 100 lbs eating low carb. It has been 2.5 years now, and got down as far as 213lb, but then weight loss stopped. All that was without exercise. I started going to the gym, been over a year now of that, hitting the weights religously, and have only watched my weight go up. Now, most of that is muscle from working out, so I don't sweat it too much, but simply increasing physical activity isn't enough for me.

And geez dude, if you are 311lb, and 23% body fat, you must be freaking huge (muscle wise). That would put you at 240lb of lean body mass, which makes a goal weight of 250lb around 4.something bf%, which I would suggest if you get there, start competing :)

That being said, you should certainly try adding some exercise in to help break through a plateau, just might not be the magic bullet you are looking for.

ozzycrazy3
Mon, Aug-08-05, 10:24
And geez dude, if you are 311lb, and 23% body fat, you must be freaking huge (muscle wise). That would put you at 240lb of lean body mass, which makes a goal weight of 250lb around 4.something bf%, which I would suggest if you get there, start competing :)

LMFAO!!!! :lol:

Rain1272
Mon, Aug-08-05, 10:56
I'm just tired of people giving up or saying low carb doesn't work because they hit a speed bump.

How does their giving up or saying low carb doesnt work affect you?? or more to the point, WHY are you letting it affect you so?? If you really want to cause change I would suggest you start with yourself, your perceptions, try to see it from someone else's point of view, what is the root of the problem, and then guard your tone...there is a right way to bring a tough love approach. Based on your OP the only thing I see you trying to do is bring controversy, not change.

You're correct, however, that overcoming a plateau starts by changing a mental attitude but your approach does nothing to encourage that change. It just builds a bigger barrier.

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 11:17
You shouldn't comment on my comments, rather my point. I'm sure you all agree with the actual point of my post. Just aren't pleased with my non sugar coated way of saying it.

And yes it is my goal to get down in the single digits body fat wise. I don't know about 4%. The doctor said I should loose 40 lbs. But I also plan on toning down my lifting and go for a leaner body not a bulky one.

SORRY FOR BEING SO ABRESSIVE! but it is my concern if people quit this diet becuause they are stuck on a plateau. I doubt anyone who frequents this fourm would. But maybe you will meet someone or know some one who is. and sometimes being abressive is the way to help them

tie_guy
Mon, Aug-08-05, 11:32
I think I can see why everyone is mad at Vince, while at the same time I agree with CyGirl that what he said wasn't bad enough to need this much venom.

Vince I think you will find that the people here are extremely nice and supportive. They will do whatever it takes to help you reach your goal unless of course you commit one of the sins of this group. Namely deciding that since this simple solution works for you then it must work for everyone. And since everyone isn't using your solution then they must all be a bunch of freaking lazy idiots.

Fact is that everyone is different. What works for you may not work for everyone (or even anyone) else. There are people that can reach their goal while cheating left and right while if others simply look at a low carb product that is loaded with sugar alchols they will start to gain weight. I think you can understand why those that loose extremely slowly even though they do everything else right might get a little upset if someone comes by and says, "Hey I lost all this weight without even trying -- what is wrong with you people?"

At the same time, stalls happen. They happen to a greater or lesser degree to everyone (well since everyone is different it is possible that there are those that do not stall but I bet there aren't many of those people.) It can get annoying if people get upset and go off the diet simply because they stall for a while, or those that complain each time they stall for a while. And when people do complain about a stall it probabily hasn't happened long enough to be considered an official stall.

If you look at this as a WOL and not a diet then a short stall really isn't that bad. What is a month or so without weight loss if you plan on staying on this diet for life? I have gone for maybe a month without loss only to loose 3-4lbs the next week, all without making any real changes during the stall or afterwards to kick the stall.

I guess I am just saying that both side of this argument have some points. So why don't save these personal attacks for someone who really diserves it.

Rain1272
Mon, Aug-08-05, 11:41
and sometimes being abressive is the way to help them

Being abrasive is never a way to help someone unless you are just trying to help them by putting them off completely. Tact goes a lot father than abrasiveness ever will in achieving positive changes, so will humility...its ok to admit you picked the wrong words to express your opinion. ;)

Just out of curiosity. What would you suggest to someone who is not, in your words "crying or complaining" about being on a plateau, is eating correctly with no cheats, is exercising as they should, and has made changes to both to restart weight loss and yet remains on a plateau?

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 11:57
Try switching their work out schedule to cardio in the morning. and weight training in the evening As well as changing the actual work outs that their body has gotten used to. Go back on induction.

Rain1272
Mon, Aug-08-05, 12:02
Try switching their work out schedule to cardio in the morning. and weight training in the evening As well as changing the actual work outs that their body has gotten used to. Go back on induction.

and has made changes to both to restart weight loss and yet remains on a plateau?

In the example I gave you the hypothetical person has already made changes to their work out AND eating...with no change in status of the plateau.

kwikdriver
Mon, Aug-08-05, 12:17
I think I can see why everyone is mad at Vince, while at the same time I agree with CyGirl that what he said wasn't bad enough to need this much venom.

So why don't save these personal attacks for someone who really diserves it.

Things seldom happen in a vacuum. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=261141&page=1)

Sometimes, people work hard to earn the appellation "troll." (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=261460)

Dodger
Mon, Aug-08-05, 12:33
Vince,

I stalled for 19 weeks. During that time, I averaged 82 miles a week of bicycling. I did not cheat or go off plan. In the 19 weeks before the stall, I averaged only 38 miles per week, and in the 19 weeks after the stall, I averaged 71 miles per week.

My exercise amount did not correlate with my weight loss. I stalled while doing the most exercise.

BTW if you are really 6'1", 311 lbs and 23% BF, it is time to quit the steroids. When he was competing, Arnold Schwarzenegger was only 235 at 6'1". He has admitted that he took steroids at the time.

kwikdriver
Mon, Aug-08-05, 12:42
BTW if you are really 6'1", 311 lbs and 23% BF, it is time to quit the steroids. When he was competing, Arnold Schwarzenegger was only 235 at 6'1". He has admitted that he took steroids at the time.

Some of what qualifies as "lean mass" for the obese are blood vessels and extra skin and so on, that goes to supporting the extra fat. It isn't "real" lean mass. Not that I'm sold on the 23% figure as being, err ... correct, shall we say, just a general observation.

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 12:47
i see nothing wrong with the posts you linked to in this thread.

Rain1272
Mon, Aug-08-05, 12:48
Things seldom happen in a vacuum. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=261141&page=1)

Sometimes, people work hard to earn the appellation "troll." (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=261460)

Yeah, I have seen his posts in other threads and they are consistant in tone. Probably wasting my time by trying to help this poster see that tact can carry further than abrasion will.

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 12:49
In the example I gave you the hypothetical person has already made changes to their work out AND eating...with no change in status of the plateau.

If I did all those things , and had no results I would go see a doctor.

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 12:50
Vince,

I stalled for 19 weeks. During that time, I averaged 82 miles a week of bicycling. I did not cheat or go off plan. In the 19 weeks before the stall, I averaged only 38 miles per week, and in the 19 weeks after the stall, I averaged 71 miles per week.

My exercise amount did not correlate with my weight loss. I stalled while doing the most exercise.

He was a heck of alot less then 23% he was maybe 2-5% range. Alot of times when you do the same cardio work out over and over again your body gets used to it. Thats why you should switch it up to gain better results. If you jumped off the bike and run up 5-10 miles of stairs you would be in a differnt world of a work out compaired to the same bike ride. Then once you get used to doing that, then jump back on the bike, or do up hill biking. Varirtiy is the key to increasing cardo heath

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 12:52

Vince I think you will find that the people here are extremely nice and supportive. They will do whatever it takes to help you reach your goal unless of course you commit one of the sins of this group. Namely deciding that since this simple solution works for you then it must work for everyone. And since everyone isn't using your solution then they must all be a bunch of freaking lazy idiots.

I guess I am just saying that both side of this argument have some points. So why don't save these personal attacks for someone who really diserves it.

I never called any one. Fat, Lazy, or an Idoit.

Rain1272
Mon, Aug-08-05, 13:08
If I did all those things , and had no results I would go see a doctor.

Exactly my point..which disproves your assertion that its all about the exercise and changing things up. Even though this was a hypothetical question it does and in fact, has happened to people.

Many times the "crying and complaining" that you are complaining about is the first step that someone has to make to get to the point of change. Rather than coming to them with a holier than thou attitude and my way is the right way stance (see the thread on low carb Sanctimoniousness), wouldn't they be better served to get into a detailed discussion with them to find the root of the problem? That would of course entail getting involved with them on a personal and emotional level which can't be done by simply stating your doing it wrong and my way is right regardless of the differences between us.

This would also mean that you would have to invest something in them, which if you are as caring about their welfare as you stated you are, should not be difficult. Although I will admit it is more difficult than running off to start a new thread to complain about their crying and complaining. Not everything is as black and white as you would wish it to be. Just as there are millions of people there are millions of variables involved. There are no set rules of what will or wont work with each individual. So it worked, thus far, for you...congratulations. It may or may not work for me, but rather than demanding that your way is the right way (by your wording) why not voice it more as "advice". More of a "this is what worked for me, try it, it might work for you too." You will see greater acceptance and possibly even results, thereby effecting the change you are seeking.

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 13:19
yeah but so many people quit , and say oh this diet doesnt work. just cus they stall. im sick of people using a plateau as an excuse to go off their diet. Im not bashing people who ask for advice. You got wraped up in my wording and the point passed you by/

ozzycrazy3
Mon, Aug-08-05, 13:31
I think it's because you have a "way with words" that seem to rub us all in the wrong way.....might want to try and be a wee bit more sensitive when you throw theories/opinions....you do have some good points, it's just the way or the tone you use to say it....

kwikdriver
Mon, Aug-08-05, 13:51
Last week, you started a thread asking which is better, low carb of low fat. Now, you're an expert. If you could turn a learning curve like that towards curing cancer, I see a Nobel Prize in your future. Maybe two.

Dodger
Mon, Aug-08-05, 14:21
He was a heck of alot less then 23% he was maybe 2-5% range. Alot of times when you do the same cardio work out over and over again your body gets used to it. Thats why you should switch it up to gain better results. If you jumped off the bike and run up 5-10 miles of stairs you would be in a differnt world of a work out compaired to the same bike ride. Then once you get used to doing that, then jump back on the bike, or do up hill biking. Varirtiy is the key to increasing cardo heath

I can't run due to damaged knees from years of running. BTW where do you find 5 to 10 miles of stairs?

During the time that I gained the weight that I needed to use, I was doing weights, riding the bike and walking. I lost weight while doing less exercise because I changed my diet from high-carb/low-fat to low-carb/high-fat.

Please reference a study that shows that the body gets used to a given exercise and the exercise becomes ineffective.

becky25
Mon, Aug-08-05, 14:24
BTW where do you find 5 to 10 miles of stairs? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 14:35
stair way to heaven lol a stair machine smart guy. Someone who does so much biking should benefit from a high carb diet. I know swimmers who eat high carb high cals just so they can work out and train the way they need to.

becky25
Mon, Aug-08-05, 14:39
i dont think anyone is saying lowcarb is for everyone. i know plenty of highcarbbers who are in awesome shape. the point is, lowcarb has worked for a lot of people here, so dont shoot them down.

emmy207
Mon, Aug-08-05, 15:20
Vince who are you talking too, because that was patronising, unnessacary and presumptive.
How do you know that those in Plateau are not good exercisers? No diet is one size fits all.

emmy207
Mon, Aug-08-05, 15:34

That assumes that in a busy working day with commute, that people have the time to got to the gym twice a day. I do not have that kind of time. I am out more then 12 hours aday as it is. And I don't have a family to raise!!!!
You are assuming alot of things about people.
I am Plateau because I have had a stomach bug, my weight has held steady for ten days. I am not whining about it, just stating it as a fact of my life. I am sure I will start loosing again soon, but I don't go to the gym, I can not afford it and I am moving soon. My main exercise is walking to and from underground stations and up and down stairs at work. I always go for a walk at lunch time too.
I leave home before 7.30 am and I return around 7.30 pm. I am often away with boyfriend at weekends, so when do you suggest that I do the extra exercises or go to the gym!!!!!

Vince3325
Mon, Aug-08-05, 16:09
or just work out at home....

Lisa N
Mon, Aug-08-05, 17:04
SORRY FOR BEING SO ABRESSIVE! but it is my concern if people quit this diet becuause they are stuck on a plateau. I doubt anyone who frequents this fourm would. But maybe you will meet someone or know some one who is. and sometimes being abressive is the way to help them

Vince, this is a support forum which means that those who come here both give and receive support from others. You may think that being abrasive is helpful, but in truth it's the quickest way to get people to put you on their ignore list and you can't help people who have literally tuned you out or avoid you because they find your abrasiveness unpleasant to be around. 'Tough love' has its place, but only with those that you know well and have a relationship with and you haven't been here long enough to be in that position with any of the members yet. I'd also like to note that there is nothing in Webster's definition of support that includes being abrasive to the point of alienating your targeted audience.
If you truly want to help and support members of this forum, my suggestion to you would be to reconsider your posting style and make an attempt to stop coming off so adversarial (and this is how your posts are being received at this point if you read the majority of responses given so far); it gives others the impression that you are here more to pick a fight than offer help. :idea:

Rain1272
Mon, Aug-08-05, 17:20
If you truly want to help and support members of this forum, my suggestion to you would be to reconsider your posting style and make an attempt to stop coming off so adversarial (and this is how your posts are being received at this point if you read the majority of responses given so far); it gives others the impression that you are here more to pick a fight than offer help. :idea:

For all his ranting about us missing his point, which by the way (for his benefit I write this) it hasn't been missed and has been addressed several times; he is missing yours, mine, and several other peoples points on this particular part of the discussion. I fear it is a lost cause, one I from this point refuse to waste anymore time on, and will just continue on my way and wish him the best, however he chooses to work on his weight loss. To bad the same wont be reciprocated.

Mandra
Mon, Aug-08-05, 18:31
SORRY FOR BEING SO ABRESSIVE!

No, you're not.

but it is my concern if people quit this diet becuause they are stuck on a plateau.

No, it's not.

Dodger
Mon, Aug-08-05, 18:33
Alot of times when you do the same cardio work out over and over again your body gets used to it. Thats why you should switch it up to gain better results. If you jumped off the bike and run up 5-10 miles of stairs you would be in a differnt world of a work out compaired to the same bike ride. Then once you get used to doing that, then jump back on the bike, or do up hill biking. Varirtiy is the key to increasing cardo heath

This contradicts what you said in a different thread

If you burn more cals then you take in, on a steady basis, you loose fat.

If it's just calories burned that count, why would changing the method used to burn the calories matter?

Usul001
Mon, Aug-08-05, 18:41
Hi Vince, insults aside. Yes, some people do not exercise when they should - but it is also not the sole reason for plateaus.

I train at the gym 6 days a week - heavy. For example I could leg press you 30-40 times. I rep range 10-12 at 527 pounds - and I'm only 168 pounds myself. I lift heavy for my legs, and upper body. I was a gym instructor for 10 years and I know what I am doing in the gym.

I also walk 7 kilometres a day. I am very strict with the diet, 1300 cals and under and under 20 grams carbs a day.

So why would my weight be stationary? Taking into account that I have already had my significant muscle mass increase due to muscle memory and starting back at the gym a few months ago. My muscle gain is now slow and steady. It certainly shouldn't be occuring fast enough to cancel out the fat loss.

I would love to hear your positive reply, as I don't know what else I need to do. :)

Vince3325
Tue, Aug-09-05, 07:58
Eat more. Its unheathy to eat so few cals and work out so hard. How do you keep hydrated walking so much? You must drink alot of water every day.

____

and for the guy who quoted to things that he thought was a contradiction. he is pretty silly guy. The more you do the same work out, the easier it becomes to do, your body has to work less to do it, it burns less calories.

Nancy LC
Tue, Aug-09-05, 08:11
Vince, sorry... but you're very young, you're new to the diet, you're male all factors that tell me you have absolutely no experience with what you're trying to talk about here. When you're a middle-aged or post-menopausal woman with thyroid difficulties we'll have this chat again.

Nudizzle
Tue, Aug-09-05, 09:54
Eat more. Its unheathy to eat so few cals and work out so hard. How do you keep hydrated walking so much? You must drink alot of water every day.

____

and for the guy who quoted to things that he thought was a contradiction. he is pretty silly guy. The more you do the same work out, the easier it becomes to do, your body has to work less to do it, it burns less calories.

Vince, I'm sorry, but both parts of this little gem are pathetic, incoherent deflections. You've gotten your dick knocked in the dirt so many times in this thread that I won't bother add my two cents about your embarressing lack of knowledge concerning the idiosyncracies of the diet and exercise routines of people not named Vince. I would, however, ask people to let this thread die a somewhat peaceful death somewhere on page 138.

I don't think its coincidence that you have authored some 4 threads on the first page of the war zone, the top 3 being yours as well. You're acting like a troll; whether or not you intended to, or know it, is irrelevant. I would suggest that you lay low until you have something constructive, insightful, or moderately supportful to add to a conversation.

Vince3325
Tue, Aug-09-05, 10:27
Nudizzle you couldnt be more wrong. But jump on the banwagon, lol

kattar
Tue, Aug-09-05, 10:46
plateau-

I happen to see your basic point in this. But, the text around it seemed harsh to some people. I do not intend p- anyone off by saying you have a point. But, if I agree with someone to an extent I will say so.... :thup:

I have personally hit a wall with my diet and am not quiting at all. I am adding exercise. Because, finally I have the energy back again to do it. I am on day 7 with no loss. Not a true "plateau" I have been told. But, I won't wait any longer sitting here looking for success to start happening. I shall burn a sweat.... and see if it works... it should :agree:

DietSka
Tue, Aug-09-05, 11:45
Vince, sorry...
When you're a middle-aged or post-menopausal woman with thyroid difficulties we'll have this chat again.

No no no no! Only menopause would be just too easy! He'd have to experience it all to really understand. Puberty - weight gain. Pregnancy - weight gain. And finally menopause with even more weight gain.
THEN I'd like to hear about how we're all not exercising enough... :lol:

emmy207
Tue, Aug-09-05, 13:28
I do workout at home,I do stomach crunches and have a healthy sex life too.
But I do not have a treadmill,rowing machine or exercise balls either. The stationary bike has been put away because my house is for sale and it looks untidy and even if I read a book, I get so bored of cycling for half an hour a day. Once I have moved, I will take up pilates,Ti Chi and horse-riding, plus I will have a dog and see my boyfriend more. People have different lifestyles, this is we of eating is a lifestyle too, it is not a fundermentalist religion, there is not Kool Aid to drink.

I do not have the things that you claim that I need to prevent plateau which is access to a gym and time on your hands to use it. I am sure I am not the only one.

WIP
Tue, Aug-09-05, 13:50
Hang on a sec ...

25% BF? ~ 311 lbs?
You think you are 264 lbs of water and lean tissue/bone? Maybe if you are Shaq!!!

Delusions abound!

Nancy LC
Tue, Aug-09-05, 15:00
Sometimes heads are bumped when one falls off the turnip truck. :lol:

Mandra
Tue, Aug-09-05, 16:16
LOL Nancy :lol:

Honestly, why waste time arguing with this kid? Let's wait six months and see how he does (evil chuckle).

Lisa N
Tue, Aug-09-05, 16:21

Vince, if your doctor truly told you that then I sincerely hope they are better at diagnosing illness than they are at estimating bodyfat percentage. According to this calculator (http://www.csgnetwork.com/bmicalc.html) you started with a BMI of 41 which puts you in the severly obese category. Since you have stated that you were laid up and unable to do much excercise for a period of 7 months, I seriously doubt that your lean body mass is high enough to remove you from that category.

Vince3325
Tue, Aug-09-05, 18:01
I have been out of the cast for 6 months.... That calculator is worthless. You are all such advocates of everyone is different. So why some generic calculator for every one? I see a physical theropest. I trust her more then some generic internet calculator based on height . lol

Vince3325
Tue, Aug-09-05, 18:03
LOL Nancy :lol:

Honestly, why waste time arguing with this kid? Let's wait six months and see how he does (evil chuckle).

so you are hoping I fail? you are much worse then people think I am

Mandra
Tue, Aug-09-05, 18:23
so you are hoping I fail? you are much worse then people think I am

Nope, just predicting thay you'll find it not as black and white as you think.

And I never claimed to be a nice person.

Lisa N
Tue, Aug-09-05, 18:25
I see a physical theropest. I trust her more then some generic internet calculator based on height . lol

A physical therapist is not a doctor and she measured your body fat percentage how?

Also, can I point out that you joked about how you could lose 1 pound a week eating pizza in bed and yet have been out of the cast for 6 months (and I presume exercising) and didn't lose weight?

Nobody hopes you fail, Vince, but after starting threads about how anyone who isn't losing as fast as you are (first month into the diet with a significant amount to lose) must be doing something wrong, I have a feeling that folks are going to be less enthusiastic than usual about giving you advice should you happen to hit a stall yourself.
You've heard the expression, 'don't burn your bridges behind you'? Well...you're still ON the bridge so don't be lighting any matches just yet. ;)

Vince3325
Wed, Aug-10-05, 07:59
have you ever been in a leg cast for 6 months? lol

"A physical therapist is not a doctor"
Mine is....

Judynyc
Wed, Aug-10-05, 10:22
have you ever been in a leg cast for 6 months?

sorry...trying to muster sympathy for you but can't quite find any.....

Couldn't you do pushups or crunches with your cast on? C'mon now, someone like you should've been able to find a way to not gain all those pounds!!!!!! ;)

Vince3325
Wed, Aug-10-05, 12:16
I would like to say I enjoy this site very much, I enjoy the people, The information, The recipes. Everything. Sorry for coming off as some big jerk. Ill try and be better, I plan on hanging around here for awhile. And I have a nice big fat before picture of my self while I was on the pizza in bed diet with my leg wrapped up. I took out my paper work from the doc, and I am 29% body fat sorry for the mistake maybe it makes more sense to you now. well sorry again , see ya all around the forums.

kyrasdad
Wed, Aug-10-05, 23:15
Vince,

You and I have astonishingly similar profiles. See me in a year, if you don't think you can do most everything right and still plateau. You can - and you probably will.

JaneDough
Thu, Aug-11-05, 14:31
Last week, you started a thread asking which is better, low carb of low fat. Now, you're an expert. If you could turn a learning curve like that towards curing cancer, I see a Nobel Prize in your future. Maybe two.

Dude. I may be your biggest fan, in more ways than one. :lol:

Usul001
Thu, Aug-11-05, 20:11
I for one would like to applaud you for your last post Vince. It takes intelligence to see when one is wrong, and courage to admit it.
So welcome, and I hope you enjoy your time here and good luck with your new WOL.
:wave:

RhondaK
Fri, Aug-12-05, 13:56
yeah but so many people quit , and say oh this diet doesnt work. just cus they stall. im sick of people using a plateau as an excuse to go off their diet. Im not bashing people who ask for advice. You got wraped up in my wording and the point passed you by

If people quit low carb because of a plateau....they're not the ones here reading your posts...THEY QUIT!!!
In which case your whineing comments from earlier are only meant to make people feel bad about their emotional response to what they feel is a failure when they are working so hard toward a health goal.
I have no problem with someone saying somthing straight out but you aren't just not "sugar coating" things you say...your in attack mode.
Which is kinda funny to me, people spouting things about somthing they've never actually experienced is ignorance and just kinda amusing to me, but not to others. I mean you are so new and haven't a clue yet what a struggle it can be and all the factors that lead up to a stall for people. That no one should be offended by you as you have no idea what your talknig about except from things you have read and are repeating, you have NO actual experience.
The advice of a person who is so inexperienced is kinda useless and amusing but be careful because this could all come back and bite ya in your low carb tushy :lol:
Also, remember, not everyone can afford a gym and not everyone lives where they can just get out and go for a walk or jog. I joined a gym because I cannot go for walks here without dodging vehichles and nieghbors dogs. I have to drive 35 miles one way to get to nearest gym. When I am in classes most of the year and working a job and have a husband and 3 children WHEN can I help a stall by going to a gym?
You needn't generalize, you don't have the understanding of peoples situation there for you shouldn't come off so judgemental.

RhondaK
Fri, Aug-12-05, 14:00
BTW Vince, I held out and stuck to it for almost 5 weeks during my stall and am down today so it's not that I don't agree with your ideas just ease up on the phrasing and let's all try to be encouraging. I don't think anyone here disagrees with your ideas to try to break a stall. :)

Vince3325
Fri, Aug-12-05, 15:03
congrats on sticking to the diet! I know the way i said it made me sound like a jerk. I wasn't really trying to give advice just blowing off some frustration. hence the warzone forum.

nikkil
Sat, Aug-13-05, 13:52
a) because of previous threads that come off the same way, I do have negative reactions to your threads, especially how they're worded. They aren't 'tough love' or 'sugar-coating removed' -- they're very judgemental and condescending.

b) maybe you want the negative reaction as a way to bolster your determination? If people reply that they hope you fail or that you won't be so judgemental when you're going thru a stall/plateau yourself, you get motivated by that. An "I'll show them and laugh in their faces" kind of motivation??

c) I do give you credit for coming back and correcting your errors and admitting that you may have been a wee bit out of line with some things.

d) Maybe next time you're in a foul mood, instead of starting a new thread, why not send an email to yourself or something similar -- vent, rant, rave, curse all you want -- then, when you've calmed down you can delete it. No harm, no foul kinda thing :) Sure would help your reputation around the forum and people's reaction to you, no hurt feelings/anger, good for your "karma" too :D

I think Watcher17 was the one who came on strong at first and now (I think) regrets it.... :)

EMKAY 53
Thu, Aug-18-05, 10:17
I am personally impressed by the the way vince is handling this. If I got the brow beating he has I would have been gone long ago :D Yes, tact is everything here, however his tips are correct. I used to be a personal trainer and found that many clients experienced stalls by not changing their excercise habits, however, being overweight has made me realize that weight loss isn't easy under the best of circumstances and things do slow down eventually. Change is good, but it doesn't ALWAYS work. I think one of the things about this WOE is how fast the weight comes off at the beginning. I think our bodies go into a little shock and take time to get used to the loss resulting in plateaus, but that's just my opinion :)

Good Job everyone, stall or not. We have all come a long way. Whether it's 2 or 200 lbs. lost success is success. I am proud of all of you.