PDA

View Full Version : ketoacidosis

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gunslinger
Wed, Nov-21-01, 21:43
Hi,

I was reading that extreme or extended ketosis can lead eventually to ketoacidosis, does any one know how long would be considered extended ketosis? Basically, I was wondering how long is it safe for the body to be in ketosis?

Thanks in advance!

doreen T
Wed, Nov-21-01, 21:56
Ketosis does not, I repeat, does NOT lead to ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition that happens in uncontrolled diabetes, and the main element is ACID not ketones. The blood pH becomes dangerously acidic because of an extremely high blood SUGAR level (the diabetic has no insulin, or doesn't respond to insulin .... so blood sugar rises ... ketones are produced by the body to provide the fuel necessary for life, since the cells can't use the sugar). It's the high blood sugar, and the acid condition that is so dangerous. Ketones just happen to be a part of the picture, and are a RESULT of the condition, not the CAUSE.

Being in ketosis by following a low carbohydrate diet is NOT dangerous. The human body was designed to use ketones very efficiently as fuel in the absence of glucose. Ketogenic diets have been used very successfully to treat epilepsy in small children, even as young as one year old ... these kids stay on the low-carb, moderate protein, high-fat diet often for years at a time .. with no adverse effect on growth, development or intelligence. And their seizures are controlled ... where toxic drugs failed.

For more information about ketosis, please click on LowCarb Tips from the orange menu bar at the top of the page. Read Ketosis and Ketone Test Strips ... it should answer your questions for you.

Also, check out the Low Carb Studies section, also from the orange menu bar. Our webmaster Wa'il has a great collection of studies and articles showing the safety of low-carb and ketosis, including some regarding the epilepsy treatments I wrote about.

hope this helps to ease your worries :)

Doreen

Chrissy
Wed, Nov-21-01, 22:16
Oh thank you so much for clarifying this Doreen. I was beginning to get scared there for a moment and do some searching on the net about ketoacidosis?

Karen
Thu, Nov-22-01, 01:14
Hi gunslinger. Where was it that you read that.

Karen

Doodle
Sat, Nov-24-01, 03:01
yep, I'd like to read that too. Isn't it scary what kind of wrong information is out there? Doods

kkma1861
Fri, Feb-01-02, 07:31
i read the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis and see the difference now(thanx for that info) HOWEVER i i wanted to ask about the children with epilpsy.
epilpsy is a condition where nerve impulses are fired more rapidly and erratically in the brain. ketones are not as effective as glucose to fuel the brain and as a result if ketones are the bodies main source of energy, the brain works less efficiently. This means the nerve impulses slow down, thus preventing attacks in epileptics, but where does that leave us normal folk, who dont have epilepsy? surely that means our responses to everyday stimuli will slow down?? :q: