PDA

View Full Version : Help w/Snacks

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KMaryP
Wed, Aug-03-05, 11:53
I'm hopeless. I quit smoking in January. I didn't touch a cigarette until 3 weeks ago. I don't want to discuss what lead me back there, but let's just say I'm now "sneaking" cigs 4 or 5 times a day, but I refuse to call myself a smoker!!! I really want to quit (honestly) and am also in my second week of Induction (again). Here's the issue: I need something LC to snack on during the day to help curb the nicotine cravings! When I say snack, I mean something I can do/eat 4 of the 8 hours I'm at work. I chewed gum almost non-stop the first week, until my jaw was so sore I could barely open my mouth. Is there any LC hard candy or something similar that doesn't require the chewing action? I hate to throw away such a good quit. Please help!

Hopeless in Houston

kattar
Fri, Aug-05-05, 00:21
The patch may help you? My Mom has smoked for 43 years and is on oxygen. I hope you continue to be smoke free for your health. :)

Have a nice day... :)

Kathy

cajuda
Fri, Aug-05-05, 05:28
Boy, I sure hope there are quitters who can help. I'd be interested in other suggestions besides gum. Haven't chewed gum for 15-20 years. I read suggestions like chewing on a toothpick (I think they make cinnamon ones), chewing on a straw, etc. but I'm sure that wouldn't look pretty at work. :D I tried quitting at Easter time and didn't get very far. Want to be a 'quitter' with me, KMaryP? I'll be gone 3-4 days and will check when I get back. You can PM me if you're interested in a buddy.

astrid
Fri, Aug-05-05, 06:52
Hi, when I quit smoking I had either straws or stir stix to keep me occupied, as silly as it sounds it really worked for me. I would chew on them or just have one in my mouth.
Hope this helps, good luck.
Astrid

nomosketti
Fri, Aug-05-05, 07:01
I agree with the poster above...get the patch. At your level you only need the lowest dose, 7mg I think. Don't torture yourself !!!! Right now you are dealing with craving AND not knowing what to do with your hands. Knock out one and the other is MUCHO easier to deal with.

YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!

BTW, today is my 2nd anniversary, YAY ME !!!! :clap:

Hey, wanna share an anniversary???

mischa
Fri, Aug-05-05, 18:29
I would try to avoid one habit with another one..have a big glass of water when a craving is hitting you. Water is good for your body ..this is what I did to avoid snacking.

I am a non-smoker for: 2 Years 7 Months 2 Weeks 4 Days 7 Hours 29 Minutes 12 Seconds
Cigarettes not smoked: 14419
Money saved: C$5,227.13
Life saved: 3 Mos 1 Wk 2 Days 3 Hrs 16 Mins 47 Secs

I quit smoking Dec. 18. 2002 at 10 AM :)

you can do it! Good luck

KMaryP
Sun, Aug-07-05, 16:36
Thanks for all the suggestions. I gained 20 pounds since January probably because I used hard candy to replace the cigs. I used the patch for a month in January and it really did help, but I don't think I smoke enough now to need them. I just need to get right mentally, buy a box of toothpicks, keep water close at hand, and just fight the cravings.

Cajuda, I'd love to have a quit partner. Let's do it! PM me.