PDA

View Full Version : new mem. with questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

alex&/or
Sun, Nov-18-01, 17:39
Hi to everyone who reads this. I've been on the Atkins plan for 17 days and I feel that this diet is everything it promises. I feel great and for once in my adult life I'm not still hungry an hour after a meal...it's great.
I've noticed my waist getting a little smaller in just the Induction period but the ketostix don't turn very dark, of course I always have drank a lot of water, that may be the reason it's self. My question is after two weeks I drank 4 oz. of scotch with water and the ketostix a day later didn't turn any shade, how long does it take a persons body to get back into ketosis. Its hard to believe a small amount of alcohol would throw things out of wack for more than 12 to 15 hours.

mrfish
Sun, Nov-18-01, 18:16
It could take 24 hours, but the scotch shouldnt have knocked you out. Your body will burn the alchohol before anything else. When I have some vodka, it turns my sticks darker probably due to some dehydration. Keep flushing with water, and burn some calories with exersise.

Welcome to the board!

<{{}}><
:cool:

Natrushka
Sun, Nov-18-01, 19:41
Hi there Alex and welcome to the board!

I wouldnt worry about those stix, they are only a rough guide Alex. As MrFish pointed out alcohol will not knock you out of ketosis; your body uses alcohol to make ketone bodies all the time (i.e. even when you weren't LCing). What it will do is slow down your loss, your system will burn in this order : Alcohol, Carbs, stored fat.

As for the colour of those stix, darker is not better. It's usually a sign you're dehydrated. Remember ketone body production is not a constant business. It is entirely possible to test negative at 4 p.m. and be moderate at 5 p.m. You will burn fuel when you need it, very much like your home's furnace - it does not run 24/7, it runs when you need more heat. Ketosis is the same way.

HTH
Nat

alex&/or
Sun, Nov-18-01, 20:29
thx so much for the advice. I just worry that I will knock myself away from the progress I've already achieved so far. I am always afraid that I will eat or drink something that will impede my goal for weight loss and send me backwards.... when you find a good thing a person hates to mess it up. Alex

gwilson38
Sun, Nov-18-01, 21:02
I had scotch last night..lol. I wouldnt be too concerned about it BUT try to stay away from any alcohol until U are well established in this way of life. There was a time when my stix wouldnt change any color for days on end and I have no real reason why BUT I was still losing weight and inches and thats the most important thing. Good luck!