PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Daiseymae

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

daiseymae
Sun, Jul-17-05, 01:05
Hello!
I joined this web site today. I am so glad I found it when I was searching google for low carb, low fat information and recipes.

I am female, 62, married for 43 years to the same man and I love him and apprediate him more than when we started! We have 3 adult children, 3 teenage and one almost teenage grandsons.

I started on the South Beach diet several months ago, but as has happened so many times in the past, I got discouraged and stopped being careful with my food choices. In January of this year I went to my cardiologist because I had been having angina and severe shortness of breath when I walked from my house to the car when we were going anyplace. That distance was less than 50 feet. My health was in a really fast paced decline and I was scared.

I seriously considered weight loss surgery last year, but changed my plans when my husband and I met with the weight loss surgeon at UCSF in San Francisco. He said the decision was mine to make, but he did not recommend that I have surgery when he weighed the risks against the benefits for me. He said with no changes in my lifestyle and food plan I would probably live into my seventies. If I had the surgery, I would live through hell while I was losing the weight. I weighed 340 pounds at that time. I spent about a year talking with other people and my doctors trying to make an informed decision, balancing everything out. I finally decided that the surgery was not for me.

When I saw my cardiologist, who had been a little chubby himself and we had talked numerous times about how we were going to tackle the weight problem. He has been my cardiologist for years and we have become friends along the way. He looked incredible with an obvious big weight loss, so I asked how he had lost his weight and he told me about the program he is following. The weight loss group meets at his office every week. He was following the program himself and said he had never felt better in his life and he had lost 40 pounds. The name of the program is "Metabolism Nutrition Program". The program has been around longer than 20 years and was developed in our area by two endocrinologists specializing in diabetes.

It took me a couple of months to get my ducks in a row and join the program. That was April 13, 2005 and I was up to 370 pounds. The pounds started rolling off quickly. The weekly group therapy meeting is facilitated by a therapist who has specialized in this program for years. In fact, he himself, lost his weight on the program about 20 years ago and still follows the maintenance program. It is very much like a combination of Atkins and South beach, very do-able.

I started at 370 and last week I weighed 313, 57 pounds less than when I started. My blood sugar level is way down. My glycohemaglobin was at 8.5 which is very high, and it is now at 6.9. We have cut my insulin by more than 2/3s. I have 147 pounds to go and I am looking forward to being a healthy person, physically, emotionally and spiritually. I am actively following the program, eating 5 or 6 meals a day, drinking 64 to 92 ounces of water a day, increasing my level of activity, getting at least 8 hours of sleep and looking forward and making plans for maintenance when I get there.

Sorry this is such a long message, but I thought someone might be encouraged by hearing from someone who was totally out of control and suffering for it for many years before finally "getting with the program" and I am now losing weight and changing my life style in a very positive way. Also that some of the physical problems that I thought of as hopeless are now clearing up amazingly. I hope to be off of insulin and many of my other meds when I reach my goal. I also think that I am going to live into at least my 80s.

I am so glad I found you and that this site offers so much support and so many tools to support my on-going weight loss and maintenance of that loss.

God bless us all!

Laydebleu
Sun, Jul-17-05, 03:53
Welcome to the Forum Daiseymae! Congrats on 40 pounds lost and good luck on your journey.

J.K.
Sun, Jul-17-05, 04:55
Hey Dasiemae...

Welcome into the forums, and thanks for posting.

Kudos on that 40 pounds too.... http://azedia.com/emoticons/thumbs_up.gif