PDA

View Full Version : HELP, HELP, HELP

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

POOKIE
Fri, Nov-16-01, 08:44
I'm new to this, but the Turtle Club sounds like the place for me. I've been on the Power Plan low carb diet for three full weeks today. I weigh myself often but got on the scale this morning and cried. I have lost about 1 pound in three weeks. I am religious about following the plan, I walk a half hour daily, weight train 3 times a week (which I had been doing for about 3 months anyway,) drink 8 glasses of water. What else can be done? Has anyone else had this happen? Any advice?

Natrushka
Fri, Nov-16-01, 10:42
Hey Pookie, I posted a reply to you (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25683) in "Introductions"

Nat

Bez
Fri, Nov-16-01, 10:56
Hi Pookie,

You sound like me. Are you taking medication, are you having the correct portions of LC food because if you go over, it's a killer and will not be kind. You need to weigh all LC foods to ensure everything is alright. Some nuts are a no, no and they may stop weight loss. The best ones to have are Macadamias and Brazils. 4 Brazils = 2 carbs and deli meats may have hidden carbs so only buy pre packed and check the carbs on the label.

If you haven't started a journal yet then start one now and list everything you're eating then we will be able to tell what you are doing wrong, if you are doing something wrong.

Don't despair, we'll hopefully find out what it is and if like me you're still having trouble then go and get checked out by your doctor. One of the girls (scotlass) just found out she has a thyroid problem and that is why she has put on weight.

Hope this helps,

Bez

POOKIE
Fri, Nov-16-01, 13:32
Bez, (I like that name)

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I appreciate your suggestions but 1) I don't take any medication, 2) I do weigh all portions, 3) I don't eat any nuts, 4) I do write everything down in a journal.

I stopped by a health food store the other day to buy Atkins bake mix and got into a conversation with the woman owner of the store. She was very interesting, extremely pro-low carb way of life, and a nutritionist by trade. She too had a very hard time losing weight and just gave up weighing herself (pretty much.) She says she's just taking LC as her lifestyle and it finally, slowly, started kicking in.

I don't really have that much of a problem sticking with this eating plan - except I'm having like terminal heartburn. I had this problem all my life until I started eating low-fat style, so now it's back again.

I guess, it seems there are many questions as to whether LC is the healthy way to go, certainly many people believe it is, but many do not. Followed by no weight loss. And heartburn. Not always certain I'm doing the right thing so I decided to look for some support. I do appreciate it. Thank you.

Lessara
Fri, Nov-16-01, 13:42
From what I've seen on this board, it appears that the little you have to lose the slower it will be. I remember feeling disappointed in my 2lb loss in a month because I have so much to lose but you know what? I don't mind how long this takes me. I haven't felt so healthy in such a long time. I feel like I'm living my life and not hidding away.

Be careful about Atkins products. I love the guy, but his products are stallers big time. Its Sucralose, with its .5 carbs per teaspoon that aren't shown accurately on his products. In the usa, anything less than a carb is considers 0 carbs.

Don't underestimate water. Water will flush away any held water and it helps with weight loss. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Bez
Mon, Nov-19-01, 04:58
Hi Pookie - Great name too!

Sorry I wasn't much help, you'll just be a slowey like me then?!

Once you get used to everything it's fine and it's nice not to feel hungry or crave things all the time and you feel healthier and have more energy so I hope that 's a bonus to you like it is to me.

Take care and we'll help if we can.

Bez :wave:

Sh'ra
Mon, Nov-19-01, 16:25
Pookie,
I'm not really familier with the plan you're using. Perhaps it would help us to help you if you write down a "day in the life." Tell us listed out exactly what you eat and when, for about three days. This way, perhaps someone could see a possible trigger.
Sh'ra

Rodney
Fri, Nov-23-01, 15:07
Dear Pookie,

I agree with Sh'ra: Please post your typical daily food menu, including snacks, drinks and condiments. This should be easy for you because you are clever enough to keep a food diary. Well done. I'd be looking for hidden carbs, like ketchup (tons of added sugar) or low fat (secretly high carb) dressings.

Also, you might be eating way too many calories or, more likely, not enough calories to keep your metabolism up. I kept crashing when my carbs were really low because I was only eating 800 calories per day! That's not enough to keep a medium size fish active. Most people need about 10 times their bodyweight in calories to loose weight (185 pounds is 1,850 calories).

Let's take a look and maybe we'll all learn something.