PDA

View Full Version : Maritimers

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gracious
Thu, Nov-15-01, 09:45
Just on the look out for any Maritimers if they are out there. I am in New Brunswick and by the looks of things around here, this province needs a big lesson in the low carb lifestyle. Having lived here for one year now I must say that one of the first things I noticed was how much people are overweight here. Not just overweight, but obviously medically obese. It would be fantastic if we could give this area a positive view of lc!

sunny37ns
Wed, Dec-26-01, 14:27
Hi gracious I'm in Nova Scotia and your right, in desperate need of low carb here....alot of meat and fish and potatoes and bread.....rice is big at my works restaurant.....

Would love to correspond with you being almost next door....Im in Dartmouth

Edwina

Jo-Ann 2
Wed, Jan-02-02, 15:21
Hi, from Bedford, NS. I know what you mean about carbo heaven in the maritimes. I just got back from the store though, I found PC chicken wings for .1 grams per piece, haven't tried them yet, my husband's eyes lit up when he saw them, so it won't be long. Dartmouth ah.

rivergalnb
Mon, Mar-04-02, 20:18
Started low carbing about a month ago. Can't get any low carb breads or pastas around here. Seem to have to order them from the states. I live outside Saint John, N.B. and travel to Maine to buy some products. Not a great selection though. I have a major problem with this lifestyle change. I have cut out all sugars, pastas, potatoes, etc. and added more protein, water and supplements to my diet. Also exercise 6 days a week, alternating weights and aerobic. Having been doing this for over 4 weeks and haven't dropped a pound. I weigh 190 and am 5.5 in. I read that some people cannot handle soy in their diet and it can hinder weight loss. Might this be my problem? There seems to be a link between soy and hypothyrodism. I am eating a lot of soy based products, i.e. bars, shakes, etc. and also tofu. Any suggestions from anyone that might help me. I am getting pretty frustrated. Seem to bloat up after a soy meal.

sunny37ns
Mon, Mar-04-02, 20:35
Hi Im in halifax...one problem may be the shakes and bars. I dont eat them at all but I here they can promoate stalls. I would stay off them for awile. I stick to meats and chicken, fish, some vegies, Im big on brocilli with melted cheese....and asparagus , romaine lettuce...that sort of thing...stay as close to those for a few weeks and Im sure you will see a definite difference.

Edwina

Jo-Ann 2
Thu, Mar-14-02, 10:34
They are known to have hidden carb's. Do a search, it's the little world symbol on the top of the page. You may be eating a lot more carb's than you think, if you're just counting the carb's count written on the package. It's definitley worth trying to see how you do with out them.
Yours Truely A Fellow Maritimer Jo-Ann :wave:

mamie2221
Sat, Mar-30-02, 15:58
Hi Gracious, You got that one right , LOTS OF OVER WT. IN N.B. I am new to the lc and so far enjoy and am loosing wt. Both hubby and I are on it so that does make it a little easier. I live on Deer Island. Been here for 16 years. My dad was born here and came back to live here and love it. Do you know what the buddy button is for. I am on aol instant messenger is that what it is? Do you take flax oil. I do but oh wow wee. Get it down and get food in as fast as possible. They say it has a nutty flavor. I have yet to find it!!!!! Carroll

Jo-Ann 2
Sat, Mar-30-02, 16:36
The Buddy symbol is for your own list of buddies, it's a short cut to sending personal messages,and you can see if they are on line at your profile page.
I'm in Bedford, N.S. Isn't it nice that spring is finally arrive to our coast. You are going to love it on this site, everyone is so helpful and motivating.
Yours Truley Jo-Ann :wave:

dcnf
Tue, Apr-09-02, 07:09
Hi - I'm in St. John's, Newfoundland....so I'm not a Maritimer...but an Atlantic Canadian....I was born in NB and lived in PEI - so I guess I'm a former Maritimer!

How is everyone doing with it....

What would you say your average weight loss is every week...I'm in my first week and want to know what to expect...even though I know everyone is different....

Is it unrealistic for me to want to lose 30 pounds by July? That's 4 months? I'm 165 today...and want to be 135 for July 15th (I have company I haven't seen in a while coming to visit...and I really want to have the weight off by then!)

Do you think it's possible?

Jello
Tue, Apr-09-02, 12:25
Hi there,

I am in Prince Edward island so it was nice to see this thread. Has anyone ever noticed how very cheap fast food is here? I mean $2.00 gets you 6 McNuggets, fries and a drink. It's ridiculous. And unfortunately, it's been my downfall.

A few years ago I was really successful on Protien power (60 pounds), but I gained back every pound and fast food was the primary culprit. I work and so have real problems with lunch time. I also live alone, so have real problems forcing myself to cook. I am a lousy cook and a fussy eater so that doesn't help at all.

What i would really like is to find a group of low carbers here who would join me in a cooking pool - kind of like a car pool - we all make one meal a week for everyone. Share the burden, you know.

Anyway, the first time I was through this plan, I found it pretty easy, but this time...Man, I was visiting my mother's place the other day and saw some homemade chocolate chip cookies - my mouth actually watered. I mean really watered. I couldn't believe it. I have never had that strong a reaction to any food before. And yet, this time around, my sweet tooth is out of control. I figured that I would have a problem with potato chips and cheesies, because that's a real addiction for me. I have never really been much for sweets, but for some reason, the cravings are enormous this time.

Has anyone had that experience - craving foods that you don't usually go for? And does anyone have any suggestions - I didn't beat the craving - had three cookies and hated myself for it.

Well, nice talking

Lisa

slimchance
Tue, Apr-16-02, 20:14
Hi all! :wave:

Fellow maritimer here! I was born and grew up in Moncton, NB and after living in PEI for a year for work I moved to Halifax, NS to go to school. :)

I'm actually pretty glad that there aren't too many ready-made LC products on the market as I am slowly learning to cook LC foods from scratch...and starting to get better at it!! :p

I know that I'll eventually want a little more variety, so if you all find any LC treats at the local grocery stores, please share!!

Take care!

KC :roll:

fiona
Tue, Apr-16-02, 23:44
I mean $2.00 gets you 6 McNuggets, fries and a drink. It's ridiculous. Yes, I agree. The prices and portions served across the pond are just something out of this world.

Having been trained to "finish everything on my plate" the one time I found it absolutely impossible to do was when I was in USA.

It knocked me out for the rest of the evening !
LOL

slimchance
Wed, Apr-17-02, 05:36
Yikes! USA? Try north of the border! Canada!!! :D Although we are pretty close! :p

I think you are right...I think they are North American portion sizes. We have been trained to think that more food for your money is better than more quality for your money, and so we keep growing and growing.... :eek:

I think Maritimers eat out as much as we do on fast food because it is affordable. The cost of living here is lower than just about anywhere in the country and that is reflected in our salaries. Junk food is generally cheap...although I seem to remember spending a ton of money on it at the grocery store once upon a time. :)

Cheers,

KC

TammyD
Wed, Apr-17-02, 07:43
I'd say junk food is getting cheaper in the groc stores too. We really don't pay that much for food here. I lived in BC. for a while and had slightly higher bills (produce here was outrageous this winter though).

I'm usually amazed at the sizes of the "cheap" stuff in restaurants. The loaves of free bread, the refillable pop, the heaps of fries on the side. It's usually much more than I'd ever serve at home (even if I was having fries)… I resent it a bit because they still only give ya a little of the good stuff.

I don't get much support from friends or family for this WOE and I'm the WW at work contact for my office. Sigh, I kinda got roped into that. Maybe I'll lose weight my way, become a WW leader and mount a low carb coup.

As for 30 lbs. in 4 months… It seems like people with lots of weight to lose (<50 lbs.), lose weight the fastest at first. I would think that a couple lbs. a week would be reasonable though (say 8-10) per month. (he he that's what I'm aimin' for) With low carb you'll be burning just fat so maybe you'll notice a difference and if you exercise and build muscle…Your goal "weight" might change.

sunny37ns
Wed, Apr-17-02, 10:33
Hi TammyD..Welcome

I'm in Eastern Passage...just around the corner form you. And I agree Low carb'ing is hard here, we sure don't have the products. I think that is why I find it hard..I get bored easily...

Hope to hear from you soon
Edwina

annaL
Thu, May-09-02, 11:46
I'm in Eastern Passage too. Hubby is doing LC, I'd like to try it but I'm a veggie and the majority of my diet is carbs. I'm a very picky eater and there wouldn't be a whole heck of alot left to eat LOL

Bonnie
Sun, Jun-23-02, 06:00
Just noticed this thread....are any of the folks who have posted in this thread still out there :D ...great to see a little contingent from Eastern Canada and that doesn't mean Ontario like most folks think.... ;) ..aren't you just loving this great weather we are having...took awhile to get here but summer has come in with a vengence... :)

Am attaching a only in Canada, eh but several of these we in the Maritimes can really relate too... :D

Only in Canada

1. Only in Canada......can a pizza get to
your house faster than an ambulance.
2. Only in Canada......are there handicap
parking places in front of a skating rink.
3. Only in Canada......do drugstores make
the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get
their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.
4. Only in Canada.....do people order double cheese burgers, large fries, and a diet coke.
5. Only in Canada......do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters.
6. Only in Canada......do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.
7. Only in Canada......do we use answering machine to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.
8. Only in Canada......do we buy hot dogs in packages of twelve and buns in packages of eight.
9. Only in Canada.....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning
'bloodsucking creatures'.
10. Only in Canada......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

You know you're from Canada when ...

1. You only know three spices: salt, pepper
and ketchup.
2. You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
3. The mosquitoes have landing lights.
4. You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.
5. You have 10 favorite recipes for moose meat.
6. Canadian Tire on any Saturday is busier than the toy stores at Christmas.
7. You live in a house that has no front step, yet the door is one meter above the ground.
8. You've taken your kids trick-or-treating in a blizzard.
9. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled in with snow.
10. You think sexy lingerie is tube-socks and a flannel nightie with only 8 buttons.
11. You owe more money on your snowmobile
than your car.
12. The local paper covers national and international headlines on 2 pages, but requires 6 pages for hockey.
13. At least twice a year, the kitchen doubles as a meat processing plant.
14. The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
15. Your snow blower gets stuck on the roof.
16. You think the start of deer season is a national holiday.
17. You head south to go to your cottage.
18. You frequently clean grease off your barbecue so the bears won't prowl on your deck.
19. You know which leaves make good toilet paper.
20. The major parish fund-raiser isn't bingo it's sausage making.
21. You find -40C a little chilly.
22. The trunk of your car doubles as a deep freeze.
23. You attend a formal event in your best clothes, your finest jewelry and your Sorrels.
24. You can play road hockey on skates.
25. You know 4 seasons: Winter, Still Winter, almost Winter and Construction.
26. The municipality buys a Zamboni before a bus.
27. You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.
28. You perk up when you hear the theme from "Hockey Night in Canada".

Bonnie

BigJ
Sun, Jun-23-02, 08:14
Another maritimer checking in.

Born and raised in Ch'town, PEI! Living in Ottawa now, but soon i'll be making the big 13 hour drive to visit the folks.

Cheers,
BigJ

Bonnie
Sun, Jun-23-02, 08:18
Well, Big J, great to have you join our Motley Crew :D ...PEI is so beautiful in the summer and suspect you will be visiting some of the beaches while you are home... ;)

Bonnie

ydegruchy
Thu, Jul-11-02, 18:03
Hi everyone...I live in Antigonish, NS. It was nice to read all your posts...very motivating! I have been somersizing since april this year, and I'm enjoying it! Any other sommersizers in this group?
:)
Yolande :wave:

slimchance
Fri, Jul-12-02, 06:05
Hi Yolande! Welcome!! :wave:

I haven't tried Somersizing, but my aunt had much success with it a few years back. I assume she is still doing well, but she lives in MB so I don't get to see her that often.

I have had much success with Atkins and have enjoyed that. I think you can eat wonderful foods on both plans. This way of life is not that hard to follow at all...well...everyone has their weak moments! :o :p

Great to see another maritimer here!! Keep up the great work!

KC :daze:

Bonnie
Fri, Jul-12-02, 06:38
Originally posted by ydegruchy
Hi everyone...I live in Antigonish, NS. It was nice to read all your posts...very motivating! I have been somersizing since april this year, and I'm enjoying it! Any other sommersizers in this group?
:)
Yolande :wave:

Ahhhh, Antigonish...have good friends that make the trip down your way to see family and while they are there have a big tuck out with lobsters :) one of his relatives operates a fishing boat so he gets them fresh off the boat ;) bet you have had your share this year...great to see folks post here from all over the Maritimes :thup: ...B

Perry
Tue, Jul-16-02, 15:28
Ok! Day One!. I think I have just drank the entire Saint John River (The part above the reversing falls). bacon is my friend so far! is lobster OK?

Bonnie
Tue, Jul-16-02, 18:09
Originally posted by Perry
Ok! Day One!. I think I have just drank the entire Saint John River (The part above the reversing falls). bacon is my friend so far! is lobster OK?

Perry...tooo funny :D ya I have noticed the river had receeded abit :) I am following Protein Power and have been since Dec ' 99...I have upped my carbs so I indulge in a bit more... it looks like you are still on induction so I would watch my intake... I suspect though that if you stay within your 20 carbs per day limit ( I think that's what it still is on Atkin's induction) you could probably fit in a bite of lobster :lol: :lol: one thing you can say about the Maritimes ;) we have great seafood at our fingertips ;) wish you great success on your LC journey :thup:

Bonnie

Perry
Thu, Jul-18-02, 07:07
I can't find pork rinds in the city. Do you know where I could find some?

Bonnie
Thu, Jul-18-02, 07:21
yesum....The Bulk Barn on Prospect Street has them for 99 cents a bag...plain and BB'Q....also Scoup and Save but I think they are more expensive there something like two dollars...once you get over induction I will point out places to get some OCCASIONAL indulgences like LC chocolate etc...but I'm not tellin you squat until your well on your way :D ...The Superstore has President's Choice Lite Cranberry Drink made with Splenda...coming in around 5 carbs per glass (8 oz)...half a glass wouldn't be so bad and actually I drink it for juice in the mornings...BUT if I were you I would keep my diet plain and simple for the first little while until you see you are on a steady downward spiral. Northside superstore has Gluten Flour in the nutritional section to make bread and the Bulk Barn has all the flours like oat, soy etc... to bake with....if you need any more info just ask ;) would be more than pleased to help... :)

Bonnie

slimchance
Thu, Jul-18-02, 14:02
Hi! :wave:

Just a quick note...

You can find pork rinds at most Zellers stores as well...be careful though....I got sort of addicted to them for a while! :o They are really great for special recipes, but they are salty, so they may cause water retention. :rolleyes: :)

Take care,

ljclowater
Thu, Jul-18-02, 19:10
Hey guys, haven't stopped in for awhile now. Just saw the Maritime thread revived and figured I would take a minute and catch up with everyone down home. Hubby and I actually go to F'ton next week for a short visit, it will be great to be home!

slimchance
Thu, Jul-18-02, 21:37
Hey Laura! :wave:

Welcome back to the maritimes...even if it's only for a short visit! I just checked out your before and now pics. I only have one thing to say....

Va-Va-Voom!!! Way to go girl! You look fabulous!!! :D

I'm going to search through some pics to see if I can find good representatives for my before and once I get to goal I will gladly pose for a new pic. I was a little camera shy with the extra weight on, especially because I didn't have clothes to fit.

If you are getting that heat wave over where you are, please don't hesitate to bring some of it this way!! It's cold and rainy here. :(

Hello to all you other maritimers too! Keep up the great work everyone!!

Bonnie
Fri, Jul-19-02, 03:08
Originally posted by slimchance
Hi! :wave:

Just a quick note...

You can find pork rinds at most Zellers stores as well...be careful though....I got sort of addicted to them for a while! :o They are really great for special recipes, but they are salty, so they may cause water retention. :rolleyes: :)

Take care,

Haven't seen them here in Fredericton in Zeller's but then again I haven't looked lately ...we'll leave that up to you Perry to scout out Zellers's ;) ...Bonnie

Bonnie
Fri, Jul-19-02, 03:19
Originally posted by ljclowater
Hey guys, haven't stopped in for awhile now. Just saw the Maritime thread revived and figured I would take a minute and catch up with everyone down home. Hubby and I actually go to F'ton next week for a short visit, it will be great to be home!

You'll find things haven't changed much re: construction work in the summer :) they have had the Westmorland Street bridge down to one lanehttp://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/visitors/images/picture1.jpg for awhile...the weather here has been strange for our summer's one day nice the next two rain ...if you get the chance during your busy schedule home..come out Saturday July 27th to the 20/20 Club at the bottom of Smythe Street (used to be called The Right Spot)...hubby and son's band SVT Classic Rock is playing and is always a great time and of course their most loyal supporter will be there :) ...have a great time home Laura :thup:

Bonniehttp://www.city.fredericton.nb.nb.ca/images/image_vi.jpg

ydegruchy
Fri, Jul-19-02, 06:11
Hi Laura
Wow!...you look awesome...congratulations on your weight loss !
What an inspiration you are!
Best of luck with the rest of your journey...Yolande ;)

Perry
Fri, Jul-19-02, 06:34
Bonnie & Slimchance Thanks:

I'll be scouting today for the "rinds" I never even thought of bulk barn (Duh!). Thanks for keeping me up to date. It's so encouraging to see others progress like yours Bonnie. It really keeps me motivated.

Last night I went to a meeting at a place that normaly has decent food with lo carb chloices last night they served

Deep Fried Chicken
potatoes
rice
carrots
and Brownies

I actually skipped supper completely,... went for a miniwalk and returned after the meal was done. I drank about 2 litres of water to survive the meeting that lasted till 9, but then when I got hom I had some bacon and cheese. (Not exactly per plan, but perfectly allowable). I've lost 0.5 inches (SINCE YESTERDAY) off my belly as of this morning too :D I think I'll weigh myself on Monday - I don't want to be a slave to the scale, but I think during induction it will be encouraging. If I eat pork rinds but each day always double my water consumption, will that counteract the water retention?

Bonnie
Fri, Jul-19-02, 07:55
Perry I'm really pulling for ya to keep on track :thup: just check out another Frederictonian Laura and her progress and pics...if that doesn't give you incentive then know that hubby has lost over 50 lbs. following this WOL and has kept it off...(by the way he snacked on Pork Rinds the whole time :) we keep almonds also on hand ...you can get the Blue Diamond kind in both Superstores and most supermarkets.. ;) ya know we have to represent our city well here so get to work :D for the first little while I would take measurements as you will see such a big difference there ...again Perry anything I can do or if you are looking for something in our area you can't find just ask...as I stated above...hubby and I have been at this since '99 so pretty much know all the tricks of the trade ;) pleased to help in any way :thup:

Bonnie

Perry
Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:05
Didn't find a fredericton laura journal. How do I find her posts

Also thanks so much for the encouragement. So far so good (I'm actually kinda liking it!)

Bonnie
Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:17
Laura is actually following PP like myself and I first met her on the PP message board...she now resides in Hull but is originally from Freddy Beach...she just pops in here now and then to say heh :D
this is an excerpt from one of her posts and a link to her pics posted on PP picture site...

Bonnie, thanks for the F'ton welcome, how are things down home? Hubby and I have to go to Shediac for a wedding end of July and will be getting a chance to stop at home and see the family.

My Before and Now Pics!

http://www.teamrocko.com/pppics/ljclowater.htm

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

This gal is amazing and we applaud her for her great success following this WOL :cheer: :cheer: ...Bonnie

ljclowater
Mon, Jul-22-02, 14:14
Ok Bonnie, my head is getting swollen now! Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I know I should spend more time here and actually start a journal, but things are pretty busy in the wonderful world that is Laura right now!
I would like to say that even though I haven't lost much weight lately, I have now officially maintained my loss for 1 year. That is about 11.5 months longer than I have ever maintained any loss before! :) I have made some body composition changes over the past year though, lots of muscle gained through resistance training. Now, it's time to move onward and downward on the scale again. Perry, nice to see another person from home finding their way to low carb!

Bonnie
Tue, Jul-23-02, 03:28
Originally posted by ljclowater
Ok Bonnie, my head is getting swollen now! Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I know I should spend more time here and actually start a journal, but things are pretty busy in the wonderful world that is Laura right now!

I would like to say that even though I haven't lost much weight lately, I have now officially maintained my loss for 1 year.

I think that is the wonderful thing about LC...Laura... for most of us who have tired to lose weight previous to this WOL ...it has always been a struggle :) ... I too have slowed down in my weight loss but as you state to be able to maintain what weight loss one achieve's over a period of time is a feat in itself ;)

That is about 11.5 months longer than I have ever maintained any loss before! :)

Great thing about this WOE :thup:

I have made some body composition changes over the past year though, lots of muscle gained through resistance training.

This is something I should be looking into but I'm always saying after just five more lbs. I'll start the weight lifting :rolleyes:

Now, it's time to move onward and downward on the scale again

Have no doubt that this will be the case ;)

Bonnie

Perry
Mon, Aug-12-02, 19:07
Bonnie,

wow you are at 90% awesome!

Ok I'm ready for almonds and other low carb choices in F'ton. I've made it down 26 pounds this month! yahoo!

Bonnie
Sat, Aug-17-02, 04:15
I will give you a few suggestions of where to obtain a few items but ya have to promise you will only eat in moderation... that means the occassional treat... my cousin has been doing LC for about a month now and has had great success... she bought a few Ross's bars and now she has put herself into a stall...BUT instead of a little piece of the bar now and then she aate the whole thing :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ... if you don't think you could exercise that kind of control definitely don't buy them and remember they contain sugar alcohols and may cause an extra trip to the bathroom... these things effect folks differently so just a word of warning... I personally ate Ross' bars all through my weight loss but only a small piece when the urge struck without any problems with the bathroom syndrome... ok here goes with what I have found here in the city:

President's Choice Cranberry Cocktail (made with Splenda)....coming in at 7.1 carbs per 8oz... I usually have half that or less for juice substitute in the mornings...

The illustrious Ross' Chocolate Bars...found at Candyland in the Brookside Mall or King's Place....remember moderation...moderation........

PC Hickory Smoked Roasted Almonds (PC products found at Superstores)....

ED Smith Sugarless Pancake Syrup ( again hidden carbs so use in moderation.)...you can find this both at Sobey's and Superstores...goes great with this recipe:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-bread18.html

ED Smith sugarless jams and jellies but if you are ambitious with all the great berries available at this time of year you can make your own jam with Splenda: here is a recipe I have tried that was great:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=47225&highlight=Raspberry+Jam

Chapman's Sugar Free Ice Cream...in Neapolitan, Vanilla, Chocolate, Butterscotch Ripple and Cookies and Cream....you can find this at Superstore and Sobey's....

Bonnie

Bonnie
Sun, Dec-08-02, 07:28
Laura if you happen to pop in here today just wanted to wish you Happy Birthday...B

:Party: :bday: :Party: :bday: :Party: :bday: :Party: :bday:

Foxeylady
Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:14
I'm from Northern Newfoundland, but I now live and work in PEI. I am brand new to this forum and so far I love it! I am not interested in buying expensive brand name low carb products. But I do buy soy flour, wheat gluten, almond flour, and flax meal at the local Sobeys or Bulk Barn. I am still on the look out for Xanthan Gum (supposedly a great thickener) and pork rinds. I am not intersted in protein shakes or bars. But I would like to find some sugarfree Jello or pudding mixes. HAven't seen them yet. I am the only person that I know here who is low-carbing. My sister in Nova Scotia is doing it, so we try to support each other. It's nice to know they are other East Coasters on these forums!

Bonnie
Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:23
Originally posted by Foxeylady
I'm from Northern Newfoundland, but I now live and work in PEI. I am brand new to this forum and so far I love it! I am not interested in buying expensive brand name low carb products. But I do buy soy flour, wheat gluten, almond flour, and flax meal at the local Sobeys or Bulk Barn. I am still on the look out for Xanthan Gum (supposedly a great thickener) and pork rinds. I am not intersted in protein shakes or bars. But I would like to find some sugarfree Jello or pudding mixes. HAven't seen them yet. I am the only person that I know here who is low-carbing. My sister in Nova Scotia is doing it, so we try to support each other. It's nice to know they are other East Coasters on these forums!

:wave: Foxeylady...I'm trying to remember where I got my Xanthan Gum (quite sure think was in health food section of Superstore and quite sure saw it at Bulk Barn) (don't know if you have the chain Superstore in PEI)...I did get pork rinds for hubby at my local Bulk Barn..they have them in plain and BBQ flavor...you could possibly request your local one (Bulk Barn) to try to get these items in for you :) ...if I can help with any other questions just ask...B

sunny37ns
Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:43
Hi Foxeylady,

I'm also from Newfoundland, western Newfoundland. Ilive now in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

I buy pork rinds at the bulk barn. Sugarfree jello, I get just at the grocery store, they have many varieties and good. :)
Any support I can lend let me know. I was on it once before lost alot and through no fault of my own went off it. I'm back now and it's a way of life for me.
Not saying I'm always perfect, but still doin well. It's just become a part of my life
Let me know if you need anything else. I also don't know too many personally on it. Just a couple who say the results of my WOL.

Edwina

Foxeylady
Thu, Jan-16-03, 14:15
Thanks Bonnie and Sunny! I'm going Grocery shopping tonight. So I'll check the Superstore and Bulk Barn again and if they don't have these items I'll request them! It's nice to have some conveinence foods! Do you eat your pork rinds as a snack or in recipes? And how does the xanthum gum thicken. I'm trying to make a traditional Newfie dish, "Cod au gratin" low carb and it calls for flour to thicken the white sauce.

Sonny, where in Western Newfoundland are you from? I'm from Englee, near Roddickton, near St. Anthony. Maybe someday we can have a Low Carb COnvention in The Atlantic. I'd go in a heartbeat!

Foxeylady
Thu, Jan-16-03, 14:21
Thanks Bonnie and Sunny! I'm going Grocery shopping tonight. So I'll check the Superstore and Bulk Barn again and if they don't have these items I'll request them! It's nice to have some conveinence foods! Do you eat your pork rinds as a snack or in recipes? And how does the xanthum gum thicken. I'm trying to make a traditional Newfie dish, "Cod au gratin" low carb and it calls for flour to thicken the white sauce.

Sonny, where in Western Newfoundland are you from? I'm from Englee, near Roddickton, near St. Anthony. Maybe someday we can have a Low Carb COnvention in The Atlantic. I'd go in a heartbeat!

Bonnie
Thu, Jan-16-03, 15:18

Maybe someday we can have a Low Carb COnvention in The Atlantic. I'd go in a heartbeat!

:wave: Foxeylady...I personally do not like pork rinds but hubby enjoys them...he uses them as a dip for salsa...we usually spend the winters in Florida (expect to head south the end of the month)and while there pick up microwave pork rinds made by Lowry's...a suggestion for the white sauce..here is the recipe I use :
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-sauce08.html

the alfredo sauce recipe is quite good too...I suspect Vesey's Seed Catalogue is something your are quite familiar with...personally love to garden and have built up quite a perennial garden on a hillside in my back yard over the last 10 years...now am into hardy roses and especially love the Morden series...(Mordon Fireglow and Centennial ) and Winnipeg Parks a few of my fav's ...have about 15 varieties of hardy roses and was actually successful in propagating some by leaf cutting/root hormone last summer...anyway off on a tangant here...I have not used Xanthan Gum much ...first time I used it was very gummy but I think read a thread here about how to mix it...will look for it and link...B

Bonnie
Thu, Jan-16-03, 15:25
Here is a link to a thread dealing with thickeners and the gum is one of the topics discussed...B

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=54669&highlight=Xanthan+Gum

sunny37ns
Thu, Jan-16-03, 16:16
I would go to low carb atlantic meeting, sounds like fun
Im from Port au Port close to stephenville..
I was there over xmas, at my parents...was alot of fun
but always good to be home again...

Edwina

Foxeylady
Fri, Jan-17-03, 06:45
Thanks Bonnie for the thickening info. I'll give them a try. Actually I work at Veseys. I look after the flower end of things. I help with the catlaogues and the field trials and answer questions. Its great. I'm trying to convert everyone here to giving up sugar. NO luck so far, but I get lots of questions, so I have to know what i'm talking about! It really pains me to hear people trying to eat low fat, but piling on the sugar. Anyway , its been great hearing from you guys. Hope you have a great winter down south!

Foxeylady
Fri, Jan-17-03, 06:50
And Sunny, I went to College with some people from Port au Port, or they may been from a place on the peninsula. Is there a place called Three Rock something? I think their names were (not that you would know them!) Kathy Benoit, and her friend Miranda, but I can't remember her last name. I spent 2 weeks last summer at home. It was wonderful! But, man alive they eat no veggies and the ones they eat are potatoes and carrots. Man alive! Salad in Newfoundland means Potato salad! We ate lots of fish, and moose, etc so that was good. Take care!

Bonnie
Fri, Jan-17-03, 06:54
Thanks Bonnie for the thickening info. I'll give them a try. Actually I work at Veseys. I look after the flower end of things. I help with the catlaogues and the field trials and answer questions. Its great. I'm trying to convert everyone here to giving up sugar. NO luck so far, but I get lots of questions, so I have to know what i'm talking about! It really pains me to hear people trying to eat low fat, but piling on the sugar. Anyway , its been great hearing from you guys. Hope you have a great winter down south!

Figured you might work at Veseys :D what a great job..am envious :D have you ever heard of a hardy hibiscus that might grow in our area...have heard of a few but have never been able to track them down :( ...hubby and I both have been LC since Dec' 99 and find the best way to convert folks to LC is by example :thup: ...B

sunny37ns
Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:02
Yep...three rock cove and I dont know Kathy Benoit, eventhough Benoit is a popular last name from the peninsula.

Im coming to PEI in April, hopefully :) My dh is in the navy and is posted in the gulf right now, expected to be home mid april (praying) we arre going to take a few days and go to PEI, for our getting to know each other again period afte 8 months of deployment....

Talk soon
Edwina

Lowcarbcat
Fri, Jan-24-03, 17:37
:) Hi, I am from the Valley, N.S. and I agree that low carb products are hard to find...I was able to find the Atkins advantage bars though.....So nice to see so many maritimers here....How to I start a buddy list and add you all to It? I just joined this site, really like it!

Take care everyone

Cathy :wave:

Bonnie
Sat, Jan-25-03, 15:44
Originally posted by Lowcarbcat
:) Hi, I am from the Valley, N.S. and I agree that low carb products are hard to find...I was able to find the Atkins advantage bars though.....So nice to see so many maritimers here....How to I start a buddy list and add you all to It? I just joined this site, really like it!

Take care everyone

Cathy :wave:

Welcome Cathy...you will find lots of helpful info here to help you on you LC Journey and yep is nice to see so many down home folks here on the forum :thup: ...B

Foxeylady
Wed, Jan-29-03, 09:46
Hi Bonnie, I' ve heard of a hardy hIbiscus, but I relaly don't think that it's the popular tropical houseplant type. They may be referring to "Rose of Sharon" or The Common ROse Mallow which is hardy to zone 5. I'll let you know if I hear about a tropical hardy type.

Hi Edwina, Have fun on your trip to PE in April. My brother was stationed in the middle east for 6 months and he just got back last week. He lives in Greenwood and has two little girls. These deployments sure are tough on a marriage.

We have a GNC-General Nutrition center opening here in Charlottetown. Does nay one know if they carry low carb products that I might be interested in.

Thanks everyone, stay in touch!
Lois

Bonnie
Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:13
Hi Bonnie, I' ve heard of a hardy hIbiscus, but I relaly don't think that it's the popular tropical houseplant type. They may be referring to "Rose of Sharon" or The Common ROse Mallow which is hardy to zone 5. I'll let you know if I hear about a tropical hardy type.

We have a GNC-General Nutrition center opening here in Charlottetown. Does nay one know if they carry low carb products that I might be interested in.

Thanks everyone, stay in touch!
Lois

:wave: Lois...am familiar with the Rose of Sharon and the common rose mallow but have heard there are now varieties established that are hardy to our climate...will have to just keep searching but thanks for the info...there is a GNC where I winter in Florida ... they do carry several Atkins products but whether this store follows suit who knows :) ...B

ColbyJax
Wed, Feb-05-03, 06:27
Hello everyone!

Good to see so many from Atlantic Canada.

Bonnie
Wed, Feb-05-03, 07:01
Originally posted by ColbyJax
Hello everyone!

Good to see so many from Atlantic Canada.

How's the weather down your way!..hubby just headed out on icy roads to Tormentine where he is doing some consulting work for the bridge...hope you are informing your significant other that you have admirers literally from around the world ;) ...B

ColbyJax
Wed, Feb-05-03, 07:07
Hehe.. weather is standard. Cold and depressing.

And on the other comment... she's a keeper. She knows she's the only one for me :)

Foxeylady
Wed, Feb-05-03, 07:50
The weather! Schools are all closed down again today. Driving is horrible. I cannot wait for spring, and I usually love winter. Keep warm and drive safe everyone!

Foxeylady
Wed, Feb-05-03, 07:51
i just got my chicken leg icon., Tee hee.

Bonnie
Wed, Feb-05-03, 07:56
i just got my chicken leg icon., Tee hee.

I see your great posts all over the board...at this rate you will have a steak before you know it :thup:...hope you are not getting this rotton freezing rain we have experienced for the last couple of days...most snow I have seen here in years...trouble finding places to move it to... oh spring wherefore art thou! ...B

Foxeylady
Wed, Feb-05-03, 08:22
This forum is addictive!!! I have replaced my carb addiction! Yes, we had freezing rain but not as bad as NS. I visited my brother in greenwood last weekend and driving back Sunday night was horrible. At least we didn't get any flooding. I was taking to one guy whose water pipes froze and broke uring the cold snap and then his basement flooded during the rain, all within a couple of weeks. I asked him if it was time to move. He said. "Yeah, to florida!" Thank God for our sense of humor!

ljclowater
Wed, Feb-05-03, 12:26
Guess I should get off my lurking butt and participate once in a while so that I can get a chicken leg too!

Foxeylady
Wed, Feb-05-03, 12:57
Wow Laura, I peeked at your before and after pics, You look great! I hope you are proud of yourself!

Bonnie
Wed, Feb-05-03, 13:42
Wow Laura, I peeked at your before and after pics, You look great! I hope you are proud of yourself!

I know I sure am... :thup: . our own LC poster gal from Fredericton :D ...B

ljclowater
Thu, Feb-06-03, 11:52
Foxeylady and Bonnie, I am desperately trying to learn to gracefully take a compliment.

Thank you. :)

(ok, so not exactly graceful, but I refrained from asking if you were sure you were looking at pictures of me, that's progress!!!)

Bonnie, DH and I have plans to be down home for a wedding this summer, as the time approaches I will try to get in touch, maybe we can meet.

Bonnie
Thu, Feb-06-03, 14:44
Bonnie, DH and I have plans to be down home for a wedding this summer, as the time approaches I will try to get in touch, maybe we can meet.

You bet...just pm me beforehand...B

aryes24
Mon, May-05-03, 17:08
Hi there I'm originally from Freddy also!!!
I'm in Bathurst right now, and can't find hardly any LC stuff!!ARGH!!!
I was wondering if you could give me a more detailed list of LC stuff and where you get it in Freddy for my next visit home, so I can stock up??
You had mentioned Ross bars at the candy store in Brookside mall, and pork rinds at Bulk Barn, any other good places to check out?? Thanks a bunch!!
So nice to see a coupe of NBers around!!

2much2g1
Mon, May-05-03, 20:04
i just want to say Hi!
I am from Ontario and trying to move to New Brunswick.
I am going to check out Fredericton this summer.
Can you suggest any other towns or cities that are safe,clean and large enough to have a hospital and public transit?
I know this is an unusual request seeing that this is a low carb site but I couldnt help myself ;)
2much :wave:

Bonnie
Tue, May-06-03, 05:23
Originally posted by aryes24
Hi there I'm originally from Freddy also!!!
I'm in Bathurst right now, and can't find hardly any LC stuff!!ARGH!!!
I was wondering if you could give me a more detailed list of LC stuff and where you get it in Freddy for my next visit home, so I can stock up??
You had mentioned Ross bars at the candy store in Brookside mall, and pork rinds at Bulk Barn, any other good places to check out?? Thanks a bunch!!
So nice to see a coupe of NBers around!!

:wave: there...I just returned from Florida and haven't been out to the malls lately but the candy store in the Brookside mall is now closed....you can try the Fredericton Mall...there is a Health Food store there that carries a few products...like Delight bars (generic of the Ross') and other Atkins products...I also recently saw the Atkins advantage bars in the Superstore on the northside in the Health food section...I have personally not bought any of these products lately and am trying to stick with just the basics but know these items are sometimes helpful to keep one on track...also try Scoop and Save on Prospect Street...and of course the grocery stores carry several items like Chapman's Ice cream etc...good luck in your search...B

Bonnie
Tue, May-06-03, 05:26
Originally posted by 2much2g1
i just want to say Hi!
I am from Ontario and trying to move to New Brunswick.
I am going to check out Fredericton this summer.
Can you suggest any other towns or cities that are safe,clean and large enough to have a hospital and public transit?
I know this is an unusual request seeing that this is a low carb site but I couldnt help myself ;)
2much :wave:

Since I live in Fredericton of course I would suggest it :) but several of the larger cities like Moncton, Bathurst etc all have the amenities you are looking for....B

guidosgirl
Sat, Jun-14-03, 20:53
SOOOOOOOOOo HAPPY to find this thread!!! I am from Nova Scotia. Come on lets keep this thread going. I am still waiting for SUMMER.. HELLOOOOOOOO Summer are you EVER going to get here. June 14 and 10 deg. whats up with that???? :mad:

Oh well If you dont like the weather in the maritimes,waite a minute, lol

Good to meet every one. :wave:

Jo-Ann 2
Sun, Jun-15-03, 16:04
I raced on a sailboat all weekend in the Bedford Basin, so I can tell you, I know how cold it is, not as Bad as racing off Point Pleasant Park in May though.
So I'm in Bedford, and I'll keep the thread going with you if you want. Others will jion, they're here.
Jo-Ann

ColbyJax
Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:15
Welcome. My name is Bruce, and I live in Dartmouth. Good to see lots of low carb'ers around. :)

ljclowater
Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:53
Well, one good thing about being a transplanted maritimer this time of year is that it is hovering between 22 and 25 degrees here. We're thinking of installing the air conditioner next weekend!

AngelDust
Tue, Jun-17-03, 16:48
Well I too am a transplanted Maritimer - formerly of Dartmouth, NS. I do NOT miss the winter, but I do miss the hot summer nights and the much friendlier people. Oh well.

As for low carb lifestyle - I have been getting SO MUCH FLACK from co workers and friends it is driving me nuts: "your brain requires more carbs", "sure, you've lost weight but you're just tricking your body - it'll get back at you later" WHAT-EV-ER!

Seems everyone in my circle is against me. Nevertheless I shall persevere.

Vancouver has been nice lately ... somewhere around the 24 degree mark - how are things back in NS?

ta ta!

:spin:

judylee51
Fri, Jun-20-03, 17:15
:wave: I have just joined this site and wanted to say hello to the other maritimers. I am from Eastern Passage, NS as well and have recently started Atkins. Having a bit of a struggle, but will perservere.

Bonnie
Sat, Jun-21-03, 03:25
:wave: Just when I thought everyone had flown the coup surprise...surprise...this thread on Maritimers has popped up again :thup: ...after a wet and cold spring we finally have some sun and heat :thup: .... here in Fredericton we can get some HOT summer days...looking forward to the HEAT WAVE :D ...great to see this thread revived :wave: ...B

Sandy99
Sun, Jun-22-03, 06:20
Hi Everyone, :wave:

Transplanted Newfie now living in Charlottetown PEI. I have only been LCing for 1 week and lost 6 lbs, wife lost 2lbs. ( but i work harder then her...hehehe)

I have enjoyed the change in our eating pattern on this Atkins diet. We are eating a lot of salads...use any raw vegies and we all love them...I am somewhat suprised by my daughter (19 yo) who has taken to this like a duck to water...she loves it. Meat of all kinds is mixed in with our salads for lunches.. and coupled with some cheese or hard boiled eggs on side to round out the meal or as a snack mid morning / afternoon.... for desert my wife makes a LC jello which we enjoy even more then the store brand name jello. Last night she made a wonderful LC chicken soup.

I would like to know what you all are drinking for beverages, though, besides coffee- no here likes it- , tea or water? Anyone know how to make LC bread ?

Cheers,:wave: :wave:
Sandy

Coriolis
Sun, Jun-22-03, 18:41
Wonderful, a thread for Maritimers! :)

Originally posted by Bonnie
:wave: Just when I thought everyone had flown the coup surprise...surprise...this thread on Maritimers has popped up again :thup: ...after a wet and cold spring we finally have some sun and heat :thup: .... here in Fredericton we can get some HOT summer days...looking forward to the HEAT WAVE :D ...great to see this thread revived :wave: ...B
Fredericton is my home town! :wave:

I moved to the US about 8 years ago.

I hope you're getting better weather there than here in New England... it's done nothing but rain since May!

Bonnie
Mon, Jun-23-03, 03:31
Originally posted by Sandy99
Hi Everyone, :wave:

Transplanted Newfie now living in Charlottetown PEI. I have only been LCing for 1 week and lost 6 lbs, wife lost 2lbs. ( but i work harder then her...hehehe)

I would like to know what you all are drinking for beverages, though, besides coffee- no here likes it- , tea or water? Anyone know how to make LC bread ?

Cheers,:wave: :wave:
Sandy

:wave: Sandy...here is one recipe that I use all summer...Diet Iced Tea...usually now use Green tea but any kind of tea bags will do:

2 quarts (8 cups) water
3 Lipton tea bags (orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea blend)
**** I used decaffinated tea but I'm sure any kind will do....
3/4 Splenda

1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice (again adjust to taste)

**** We have gone through so much of this that when I make it I double the recipe.. great for sipping on a hot day...

1. Boil the water in a large saucepan over high heat.
2. When the water comes to a rapid boil, turn off the heat, put the tea bags into the water and cover.
3. After the tea has been steeped about an hour, pour the sugar
(Splenda) into a 2 quart pitcher, then add the tea. The tea will
still be warm, so the sugar will easily dissolve.
4. Add the lemon juice. Chill. Makes 2 quarts.

*** I also fill pitcher up with ice cubes and a lemon sliced.

There are several recipes for LC Bread here at this site under Recipes...I use one called Gabi's Cheesebread for Breadmakers...you can find the recipe here:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-bread23.html

Nice to meet ya... :wave: ..B

Bonnie
Mon, Jun-23-03, 03:35
Originally posted by Coriolis
Wonderful, a thread for Maritimers! :)

Fredericton is my home town! :wave:

I moved to the US about 8 years ago.

I hope you're getting better weather there than here in New England... it's done nothing but rain since May!

:wave: Yep it was hot and dusty yesterday and the forecast is the same for next week :cheer: FINALLY some summer weather :thup: ......nice to meet you Coriolis :wave: ..B

Sandy99
Thu, Jun-26-03, 17:43
hi Bonnie,

Thanks for the sugestions and tips. I ama little surprized this week. My first week was great, I felt good was not falling asleepat work in the PM....this week I am back to my old self and tired in the afternoon...:mad:....eating the same stuff as last week.... not sure what has changed but would like to gt the energy I had last week back again... :confused: ..

Has this happened to any one else out there?

Cheers,
Sandy

Bonnie
Fri, Jun-27-03, 03:30
Originally posted by Sandy99
hi Bonnie,

Thanks for the sugestions and tips. I ama little surprized this week. My first week was great, I felt good was not falling asleepat work in the PM....this week I am back to my old self and tired in the afternoon...:mad:....eating the same stuff as last week.... not sure what has changed but would like to gt the energy I had last week back again... :confused: ..

Has this happened to any one else out there?

Cheers,
Sandy

Sandy take a moment to read this thread....just one of many that deals with tiredness...makes sure you are drinking plenty of water...eating foods rich in potassium and a good multivitamin...I did not experience tiredness at all in the first few weeks on PP as I made sure of all of the above...good luck...B

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=117786&highlight=potassium+and+multivitamin

Bonnie
Fri, Jun-27-03, 03:59
As the ole saying goes be careful what you wish for :lol: :lol: checked the thermometer yesterday and it was 102 degrees in the shade :eek: . :eek: ..needless to say I spent the day in my pool :thup: ...are the rest of you getting this hot weather?...know being in central NB when it gets HOT it stays HOT and HUMID..by the way Sandy hubby asked me to make some Diet Iced Tea :yum: :yum: so have some brewing as we speak :D ....B

Coriolis
Fri, Jun-27-03, 11:47
Yes, it's hot as Hades here in Boston too -- what a transformation from last week. From cold and rainy, straight into a heat wave! Oy! I know well the heat and humidity Fredericton gets -- I grew up with it. A little dip at Queen Square would always do the trick though. :)

Bonnie
Fri, Jun-27-03, 14:19
Yes, it's hot as Hades here in Boston too -- what a transformation from last week. From cold and rainy, straight into a heat wave! Oy! I know well the heat and humidity Fredericton gets -- I grew up with it. A little dip at Queen Square would always do the trick though. :)

:wave: Coriolis....just came inside for a break from the heat :cool: yep, you never knew what went into those public pools after all the kids vacated at the end of the day :eek: :eek: but somehow at that age one didn't care :lol: :lol: :lol: ...my father was a WWII Veteran so I grew up on Veteran's Court in Marysville...just a skip across the field to the public pool and man I lived there all summer :D ..didn't matter if the temp was 65 degrees somehow we jumped right in ;) ...I now live on a cliff on the northside ...I am 500 feet above the road below therefore the sun can get pretty intense :thup: but I love it...B

Traveller
Sat, Jun-28-03, 18:05
Hello from a gal in Ontario. We are that is my hubbie and I to Halifax,Darthmout next week , going through Maine . The question is where do you get your low carb stuff? We are staying with family in Dartmouth so I'll be able to cook there but where do I buy it? I cannot bring it with me going through the states can I? Hugs,Lynn

Traveller
Sat, Jun-28-03, 18:08
Hello from a gal in Ontario. We are that is my hubbie and I are going to travel to Halifax,Dartmouth next week , going through Maine . The question is where do you get your low carb stuff? We are staying with family in Dartmouth so I'll be able to cook there but where do I buy it? Should I look for it in Maine or not and where there? I cannot bring it with me going through the states can I? We are going to explore all of N.S and N.B
:wave: Hugs,Lynn

Coriolis
Sat, Jun-28-03, 23:40
Originally posted by Bonnie
:wave: Coriolis....just came inside for a break from the heat :cool: yep, you never knew what went into those public pools after all the kids vacated at the end of the day :eek: :eek: but somehow at that age one didn't care :lol: :lol: :lol: ...my father was a WWII Veteran so I grew up on Veteran's Court in Marysville...just a skip across the field to the public pool and man I lived there all summer :D ..didn't matter if the temp was 65 degrees somehow we jumped right in ;) ...I now live on a cliff on the northside ...I am 500 feet above the road below therefore the sun can get pretty intense :thup: but I love it...B
A cliff on the northside? Hmmm... trying to place that but memory is failing me. Must be out toward Durham?

I grew up on Charlotte St, south side. Wilmot park just a block away -- the little wading pool would get pretty "green" on those hot summer days. :eek: :)

From your picture we look about the same age. What year did you graduate from FHS? I graduated '83.

Bonnie
Sun, Jun-29-03, 03:29
Originally posted by Traveller
Hello from a gal in Ontario. We are that is my hubbie and I are going to travel to Halifax,Dartmouth next week , going through Maine . The question is where do you get your low carb stuff? We are staying with family in Dartmouth so I'll be able to cook there but where do I buy it? Should I look for it in Maine or not and where there? I cannot bring it with me going through the states can I? We are going to explore all of N.S and N.B
:wave: Hugs,Lynn

:wave: Lynn...I was hoping that some one from the Dartmouth area would respond to your query...I suggest that while your here take in some down home food ...Hubby brought home two beautiful lobsters for dinner last night :thup: ...you should try to attend a lobster dinner ...several communities host them ...the family in Dartmouth I'm sure could point you in the right direction...as far as LC bought products...I have posted what I know is available in the Fredericton area...have a great trip Lynn and enjoy our down home hospitality :thup: :wave: ..B

Bonnie
Sun, Jun-29-03, 03:33
A cliff on the northside? Hmmm... trying to place that but memory is failing me. Must be out toward Durham?

I grew up on Charlotte St, south side. Wilmot park just a block away -- the little wading pool would get pretty "green" on those hot summer days. :eek: :)

From your picture we look about the same age. What year did you graduate from FHS? I graduated '83.

Try Royal Road ;) hmmmCharlotte Street ...did you know any Seymours...my good friend still lives on Charlotte Street..you can see where I live on page twelve of this thread.... :wave: B

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=47273&perpage=15&pagenumber=12

Coriolis
Mon, Jun-30-03, 22:49
Nice digs! What a great view it must have. :)

I don't recall any Seymours off the top of my head, but then again I'm horrible with names, and Charlotte St. is a long street... and I haven't lived in Fredericton for 10 years... ;)

I lived between Smythe and Northumberland. My sister and her family lives there now. My folks moved out to Gagetown (my Dad grew up there) recently to retire in comfort... well, my Dad did anyway. Mom still works in Freddy.

Growing up in Marysville, I'm wondering if you knew any Calhouns?

Bonnie
Tue, Jul-01-03, 05:48
http://www.pandcwebmasters.com/backgrounds/canada_day_fireworks_leaf_md_wht.gif

Bonnie
Tue, Jul-01-03, 06:19
Nice digs! What a great view it must have. :)

I don't recall any Seymours off the top of my head, but then again I'm horrible with names, and Charlotte St. is a long street... and I haven't lived in Fredericton for 10 years... ;)

I lived between Smythe and Northumberland. My sister and her family lives there now. My folks moved out to Gagetown (my Dad grew up there) recently to retire in comfort... well, my Dad did anyway. Mom still works in Freddy.

Growing up in Marysville, I'm wondering if you knew any Calhouns?

Yep...we love it here and can see Crabbe Mountain lit up at night in winter...only Calhouns I know would originally be from Barker's Point...Margie Calhoun... :wave: ..B

Jo-Ann 2
Tue, Jul-08-03, 06:27
Hi Bonnie, I'm still LC and finally got off a long stall. Great to see you're still Living La LC.
Jo-Ann :wiggle:

shoregirl
Mon, Sep-08-03, 18:26
Hi everyone. I started this woe Aug 10 and I'm loving it!!! I live in Bridgewater NS, originally from the Valley! Anyone else from this area?

ozziesgirl
Tue, Oct-14-03, 20:20
Hi I am from Halifax Nova Scotia and am new to this site. I have been doing Atkins since Sept 4th, 2003 and I have lost 9 lbs. I just wanted to say hi to all of my fellow maritimers. :dazzle::yay:

~Steph

SusanW
Wed, Oct-22-03, 09:36
Hi Everyone... It is great to find a group of Maritimers. My name is Susan and I am originally from Kingston, Nova Scotia and now live in Halifax. I am starting to get used to this woe and have lost my first 10 lbs.

ozziesgirl
Wed, Oct-22-03, 22:44
Congrats Susan! Keep up the good work. I am from halifax too!

SusanW
Thu, Oct-23-03, 05:37
Hi Ozzies, great to see someone from Halifax. Have you found anywhere that sells Splenda or other LC foods? I have been looking but I haven't found anything yet. I am going to try Zellers tonight.

Susan

ColbyJax
Thu, Oct-23-03, 05:43
Try Shoppers Drug Mart. I know the one in Cole Harbor sells it.

Actually.. I think you can buy it at the Superstore too.

SheriLynnC
Thu, Oct-23-03, 07:00
I have been trying to get in touch with you by PM on the boards not sure if you ever check your PM's or not. I also let you know on your website I was trying to reach you. Anyway you could send me your email address in a PM so I could email you directly?

sexee_babe
Fri, Oct-24-03, 04:54
Love the maritimes!!

At least we could add moose to our diets.

ozziesgirl
Sat, Oct-25-03, 00:09
Can't say I have ever eaten moose. :p

DLC
Wed, Nov-19-03, 16:03
River, head over to a GNC store. They have loads (ok maybe not loads...) of high protein, low carb shakes and other stuff. That soy tastes awfull! I've found that the staff are really helpful.
DL in NB

DLC
Wed, Nov-19-03, 16:14
Hi all
Another NBer here. Just started LCing again this week. I was on it before and I fell off the wagon, got hooked up in the riggin and drug up another 30 lbs before I could get back on the wagon again! I think I thought LCing wasn't good for you (listened to too much media) but I felt great on it, was never hungry. I starved to death on WW before. Never again. A lightbulb has finally gone off in my head and now I am committed to this WOL.
DL in NB

Bonnie
Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:53
Just saying hi to all the new folks from the Maritmes...you folks that are in NB...what part of the province are you from :wave: Bonnie

DLC
Fri, Nov-21-03, 05:30
I'm located about 1/2 way between Saint John and Gagetown. It's nice to know I'm not alone out here...
DL

Bonnie
Mon, Nov-24-03, 07:04
I'm located about 1/2 way between Saint John and Gagetown. It's nice to know I'm not alone out here...
DL

How are you liking the recent weather we are having :yay:...so pleased so far we have had such a mild winter...expect the snow will come soon enough but not to soon for me :thup: ...B

nikotyme
Tue, Apr-13-04, 19:15
Are there still any Maritimers out there LC'in...

Why so shy and quiet? :wiggle:

TR_Chase
Fri, Apr-16-04, 18:39
I am soooooo hoping to talk to locals. Let's keep this post going. I live in Bedford and am curious to talk to locals into low carbing, exercise and what works for you. You can email me anytime. I will always email back. I am 29 recently newly married . I am really looking to make these next few months very focused and dedicated on getting my body and mind in the best place. My husband and i want to start a family soon and I want to be in the best shape physically and mentally and I know when I look good , I feel good and it will just snowball from there. so what have you done to get to your goal? I am honestly thinking of stopping the packaged low carb foods. I think I"m going to make things as simple as possible. Like buying fresh salmon and a rotisserie chicken every day (every 2 days maybe) and stocking up on pre made salads. or eating an atkins salad from subway for lunch every day. they are delicious (can we eat them on induction?) . I had one today. although they are $8!! they are soooooooo good and filling. drink lots of water and take supplements. do any of you take atkins supps?

april_26
Tue, Apr-20-04, 14:09
hello I am in Porters Lake not far from Halifax I to am new to this plan

april_26
Wed, Apr-21-04, 07:32
Hello I am looking for a buddy in my area to share ideas with atkins diet I am in Porters Lake and would like to meet people on here to exchange ideas with I lost 4 pounds the first week now its been 3 week and nothing maybe I am doing something wrong not sure

april_26
Wed, Apr-21-04, 07:36
SusanW you can find splenda at the superstore and also sobeys you can also find pork rinds at the bulk barn in Dartmouth

JessieBlue
Tue, Jun-08-04, 18:35
Just what I was looking for!
To see other Maritimers or Atlantic Canadians!!! Wohoo!

I too grew up in Moncton but now I reside in Saint John!

I gained most of my weight after a bad breakup being unhappy with myself...but.. that was a long time ago and now the weight is going! :p

I try and stay away from the fast food places in this city, but I do not think they have much in the way of unique dining or even into the "shopping experience for anthing that is out of the usual request.
Most places here have more natural or holistic food stuffs than lo-carb!
So I guess one needs to scrounge near and far in old Saint John!

Has anyone found a low carb soda with splenda in it?

TammyD
Wed, Jun-09-04, 10:43
Hi,
I'm a former Monctonian too...

I'm not sure but I think diet orange crush has splenda.

I like to mix up cool aide with splenda. The boxes of splenda has filler so that it measures like sugar for baking and the packets are a bit more concentrated and better for cool-aide.

That being said, If you can go to a bulk barn, they have bottles of stevia. The bottles are pricy but 1 teaspoon gives all the sweetness of 1 cup of sugar. It's amazing really.

I'm kind of a diet pop addict and Superstore just unveiled an aspertame sweetened apple pop that I like. Sigh, one a day I guess...

nikotyme
Wed, Jun-09-04, 11:09
Hey all you 'timers

I live in Quispamsis (15 miles from Saint John) we like to think we're out of the fog belt but when it's really thick we get it too.

I work in the city though, the commute is about 20 minutes either way which isn't so bad.

Hugs and best wishes to all the Maritimers on this WOE, keep on fighting the good fight eh!

JessieBlue
Wed, Jun-09-04, 15:47
Quispam! Mercy woman, you don't get much fog like the city! *grin*
but you DO get lots of heat~! and we don't in good old SJ!

hahahah :lol:

Bonnie
Wed, Jun-09-04, 16:35
Hi Everyone...today was a scorcher in Freddy Beach...I have found a new diet plan...the infidelity diet :lol: heh ..whatever works and I seem to have the metabolism of a hummingbird :) ...just wanted to check in and say a special thanks to Nik for the pm and her kind words...thanks for your thoughtfulness...Bonnie

nikotyme
Wed, Jun-09-04, 19:32
Hey Jessie

Is your bf the tall slim dark haired mid to late 30's guy who has an incredible memory about drinks?
:wave:

nikotyme
Wed, Jun-09-04, 19:40
Hey Bonnie

Was a scorcher here too today, which made for a nice change, spring was a long time coming. Today looked like we bypassed it completely and zoomed right into summer.

So you're a motorcycle momma eh....what kind of bike? How far do you tour on it?

I don't have one myself, too chicken and too fat still but even when I get thinner, I'd prefer 4 wheels but wouldn't mind a convertible. My sister in law won a 50th anniversary TBird, fire engine red with the black top, purrty little car for sure.

I'll be driving through Freddy on Friday, will wave from the highway, feel the good Karma going your way.

Chairface
Thu, Jun-10-04, 02:22
Hi Fellow 'Timers!

Just thought I would pop in and say hi to some local Low-carbers. I have met a few people from the Area in the last few months. Hope we all do well together!

Keep Losing,

cartmanis
Thu, Jun-10-04, 04:03
Hi, a Nova Scotian here :) Born and raised. (Though I spent 8 years in Ottawa until December when we moved back)

Yesterday was certainly warm, we spent a bit of the afternoon with the kids walking along the beach which helped a bit.

JessieBlue
Fri, Jun-11-04, 20:29
Hey Nik!
Yes he is...*grin*
I think he is as curious as I am! :wave:
You also probably figured out I use my dog Jessie-Blue's name here too!

Perhaps you know someone we both know in common

nikotyme
Sun, Jun-13-04, 03:09
Hi Jess, just have a look in my gallery, my pic is there.

I don't think I've seen you before but then again, I see alot of people in the run of a day, I work at the Regional and have for more than 20 years, no doubt there's someone we both know.

I'm going to be away from the computer until next Sunday when I return to good ol' SJ.

Take care and keep on fighting the good fight.

(former strawberry daiquiri lady)

JessieBlue
Sun, Jun-13-04, 07:03
I was wondering, anyone up for a get together?
We could road trip and meet in the middle?
I am in college so I will be finsihed for the summer in 5 days..and free to travel for the day!

If anyone is up for a LC get together...post it here :wave:

ps..Nik. he is the one at SC...and we looked at your pic..Mercy woman you are doing so FANTastic! :thup:

JessieBlue
Sun, Jun-13-04, 09:35
btw Nik..
who do we know in common??? *grin*
because you wouldn't know about S unless someone told you :P

suntanlove
Mon, Jun-14-04, 17:03
Hi I live in Moncton actually Riverview but was born and grew up in Halifax.I find there are so many LC products on the market that we may all gain weight by overeating all th
ese and not natural foods.Superstore has
Carb Options dressings,sauces,jams,etc.
They have Aitkens flatbreads and multi grain bread
Lc candy
LC ice cream
LC peanut butter
What more could anyone want.It is a temptation to eat these but i try to stay away from most but it is nice to have a choice.Nice to talk to fellow Maritimers.We should have a meeting sometime.

Ghuldeen
Wed, Jun-16-04, 08:32
Hi all,

Originally from PEI, but I've been living in Toronto for the last 16 years (dear God has it already been that long). I still consider PEI to be "home" and don't expect that to change no matter how long I'm away. I did split time between Halifax and Toronto for 2 years (98-2000). Really liked Halifax. Has everything a bigger city has, just on a smaller scale and way friendlier people. Went to university in NB (Sackville), so I know that area fairly well.

Glad to see so many East Coasters getting into low carb. Now if I can only convince my parents to give up their potatos ;). I go home every summer for a few weeks. Flying in on June 23rd to July 4th and am really looking forward to it.

One thing I've noticed every time I visit is that everything is deep fried. Fish?? Let's cover it in batter and deep fry it. Pretty scarey.

Anyway take care all.

nikotyme
Tue, Jun-22-04, 09:49
Hey Jess

I don't know who we know in common, you'd mentioned that your BF worked at SC and that's why I asked if he was the tall dark haired guy with the good memory for drinks ladies like, we'd gone there once and several weeks later when we returned he looked at me and said "Strawberry Daiquiri"? I was impressed anyone would remember that or me, was quite flattered hehe.

What do you have planned for the summer now that your out of school, going to be a lady of leisure or do you have a summer job?

Sure hope the weather warms up a bit, it's been mighty dismal around here, with the wind and fall like temps.

Take care

nikotyme
Tue, Jun-22-04, 09:57
Hiya Mike

Welcome aboard the HMS Maritimer.

Speaking of lobster, that's what we're having for dinner tonight, DH just went to pick up a coupla 4 pounders ~ $7.75 per lb. He'll cook them himself as he's real fussy about how that's done. Another couple is joining us for dinner, the boys will be having home made fries (made with NB potatoes - the best)...I am bound to say that, my brothers in law are potato growers.:p

They mentioned to me that there are some growers on PEI who are trying to produce a lower carb potato, that sounds interesting to say the least, hope they succeed and share their secret.

You're doing really well with this WOE, great work.

Lobstergal
Tue, Jun-22-04, 10:07
Speaking of lobster, that's what we're having for dinner tonight, DH just went to pick up a coupla 4 pounders ~ $7.75 per lb.

That is a great price for lobster. I see them here where I live (Hamilton Ontario) for as high as $16.99 a pound in some stores which makes it too pricey for me to indulge.

I often consider moving down east just to be able to enjoy my love of seafood and fish more often. It was too bad my New Brunswick-born-and-raised-parents decided to live in Ontario to have and raise their children. I think we would have been better off in the maritimes.

nikotyme
Tue, Jun-22-04, 10:11
Been gone too long, this is my second oopsies today, sorry everyone

nikotyme
Tue, Jun-22-04, 10:18
Hey Lobstergal

With a monniker like that you'd fit right in:)

I'm talking about Bay of Fundy lobster, which I find tastier than the North Shore or Bay of Chaleur (off Shediac). I think it's the water temp difference that makes that so, Fundy is soooooooo much colder than Chaleur, also I'm handier to Fundy so that's a no brainer. The scallops are also yummy, had some of those Sunday night.

Ghuldeen
Tue, Jun-22-04, 10:47
Potatoes from NB!!!! Sacrilage!!! Was Bud the Spud from NB now was he!!!! LOL

I much prefer the spring lobster to the fall stuff. So much cleaner tasting. Most restauarnts in Ont don't have a clue how to cook lobster properly, so I usually avoid it.

nikotyme
Tue, Jun-22-04, 11:36
Akshully Stompin Tom Connors who made the Bud the Spud song popular was born in Saint John NB:p

I know what you mean about restaurants not having a clue how to cook lobster properly, had a broiled one once in a ritzy eatery in TO and it put me off lobster for several years, was THE grossest thing I'd ever tasted, obviously the chef needed a crash course from the fishermen.

Hope you have a great lobster when you visit the folks next, but no fries!!!

Pameve
Tue, Jun-22-04, 22:00
Hi, I'm new here and live in Saint John. I've been on the Atkins Diet for 2 weeks and have lost 10 lbs. I haven't cheated at all but am so tired of eating meat, as I've never been a big meat eater. Just wanted to say HI and good luck to everyone!

nikotyme
Wed, Jun-23-04, 16:22
Welcome aboard Pameve.

Sorry to see you're tired of meat already, it's one of the main staples of this way of eating, but with only 10 lbs left to lose maybe you can take it slower by adding more carbs veggie and fruitwise.

I'm sure someone will come to your rescue, maybe post your concerns in the general forum so that it will get a greater group of people.

Good luck to you on your journey.

Lobstergal
Wed, Jun-23-04, 16:51
[QUOTE=nikotyme]Hey Lobstergal
With a monniker like that you'd fit right in:) QUOTE]

I would love to!! :-)

My dad is actually in New Mills NB right now visiting his property for the summer. In the fall he will come back to Ontario. I am kind of hoping he leaves that land to me one day because I will move there with no hesitation.

Scarlet 96
Thu, Jun-24-04, 14:59
Hi everyone.

I have been here for a while now, but just stumbled upon this thread. I thought I would say "Hi".

I saw LC potatoes at Sobey's the other day. They come in small bags and are quite small potatoes. They listed something like 12g's, I can't really remember now. I don't think I would ever consider them.

suntanlove
Thu, Jun-24-04, 16:06
For fathers day i cooked Chicken Caccitori from Aitkens recipe but we had Lobster as an appetizer.It was good.Lobster is the best in the Maritimes.I see that Swiss Chalet has a special menu of Lc by the recipes and Hilltop REstaurant in Fredericton has a special menu for us Lc.I had steak with brocolli last night andit was good.

nikotyme
Thu, Jun-24-04, 16:39
Hiya suntanlove

We always go to the Hilltop on our way to Grand Falls, last time I was there I was pleasantly surpised to find their LC menu, I had the broiled haddock with brocolli topped with cheese, and a salad, was yummy.

I don't find it hard eating in restaurants, usually most serve a steak and salad so I usually choose those.

And yes you're right, the best lobster in the world is from the cold Atlantic, had a lobster salad for dinner tonight, mmmmmmm.
we're spoiled but hey, we're so worth it :p

JessieBlue
Fri, Jun-25-04, 09:18
Hi FoxeyLady. :wave:
Yes, GNC DOES carry a fair amount of l/c items including Atkins things as well.
But I do advise reading the labels on some of the l/c items as although they ARE l/c, some may have a higher than you want carb amount!
PS>>>Atlantic Superstore has a good variety as well of L/c items! :lol:

JoLynn
Sat, Jun-26-04, 08:29
Hi;
I am from McNamee, New Brunswick... A little place between, Boiestown & Doaktown, NB... I am orginally from Blackville, NB. Graduated from Blackville High School, many many moons ago... lol
I have been a member of this board for about a year now, but unfortuntly have not been doing very well... At first, I was doing great, but you know how it is.. A person just gives up... and that is what I did...
Now, I can say that I am back to stay...
I am bound and determined that I am doing it this time... I need to!! For myself.... I feel so much better when I have some weight off...
Oh I should say, I weigh 190 lbs... Used to weigh 215 bs.. So I do have a bit off so far... My goal weight is 130 lbs... I also should say.. I am only a little over 5 feet tall..
Would love to hear from any other carb watchers out there that live handy to me... I go into Fredericton at least once a week for groceries... Sometimes I go more, if I have a meeting or anything else...
Hope to hear from you guys soon...

Bonnie
Thu, Jul-01-04, 09:50
I am familiar with McNamee...have an aunt who was a Price from that area...beautiful camping and fishing areas and of course the famous swinging bridge...welcome and good luck with your low carb journey...Bonnie

Aubby
Sun, Jul-04-04, 11:59
:) Hello everyone !nice to see so many maritimers here, I was born in PEI and have lived in N.B for 15 years hope everyone has a great day

Chella
Thu, Jul-08-04, 16:56
Nice to see all these maritimers LCing!! I'm in Halifax, and just recently back on LC after a brief (well, maybe not so brief) lapse. :)

Good luck to you all, and great thread!!

Chella

JoLynn
Sat, Jul-10-04, 18:13
Hello fellow Maritimers,
Been slack lately... Must be all that sunshine we are getting here in McNamee..... NOT !!!!! LOL... Wished it would soon come out to stay..
So glad that this site is on here.. I need to make myself get more involved in it.. as I know that it will help me from day to day...
I would love to communicate with someone on a day to day basis through email... a sort of an encouragement to each other.. If anyone out there would like to do that.. Email me at access_centre_manager~yahoo.ca Looking forward to hearing from you guys,.. Thanks,.. Jody

suntanlove
Sun, Jul-11-04, 04:30
Hi JOdy from Moncton here. Are u having a hard time with LC.How long have you been on it?It is the easiest plan that I have ever been on and I have lost 40 pounds in a year.Actually I lost the weight in first 6 months and have been going up and down the same 5 pounds for the last 6 months.I need to lose another 30 pounds but have been so satisfied with losing the first 40 that I have not been trying too hard lately.Maybe you can get me back on track again.

kehloka
Sun, Oct-24-04, 05:32
Im in freddy town and today is day number 13 (lucky hehe) of Atkins for me, tomorrow is my first weigh in , very nervous, I've lived here for a year (moved from BC) and my DH was born here. I absolutely love it here, and I'd love to share support for some other locals :)

kehloka
Sun, Oct-31-04, 10:14
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/data/500/65914halloween-wallpaper-01.gif

IAteIt
Mon, Nov-01-04, 06:21
Hi Everyone, my name is Susan. I am living in Halifax but am originally from Kingston (the Valley). I have been on CAD for a week and can really say that I have found something that is working for me. I would love to share with others in our area.

christied
Mon, Nov-01-04, 08:09
Hi Susan, I'm Christie. I live in Ontario now, but spent some of the best years of my life in Halifax. I still see double when I think of the "LiquerDome"!! We lived right on Spring Garden Road back in the day, and I worked at Tip Top Tailors in MicMac Mall.
I wish you much success with your new way of life, it is the easiest, most fulfilling diet I have ever tried. Keep us posted!!

Aubby
Tue, Nov-02-04, 05:28
Morning I'm in Moncton been doing low carb for 6months , loving it and also find it sooo easy , lost 21 kilos and so proud, want to lose more , does seem to be more diffcult now but thats also ok I feel so much better now :) have a great day all bye bye

doflicker
Tue, Nov-09-04, 10:18
Would love to correspond with some people close to home.

kehloka
Tue, Nov-09-04, 16:32
Would love to correspond with some people close to home.

where are u from?

doflicker
Wed, Nov-10-04, 07:25
I'm from Nova Scotia.........about two hours from Halifax :)

Chairface
Fri, Nov-12-04, 02:52
Welcome to the forums fellow Maritimers!

I have met many people from Canada on this board since I started in Feb. Not too many from the Maritimes though. Good to see some people starting up.

Good luck to all of you!

jillrmt
Mon, Nov-22-04, 17:49
Im in freddy town and today is day number 13 (lucky hehe) of Atkins for me, tomorrow is my first weigh in , very nervous, I've lived here for a year (moved from BC) and my DH was born here. I absolutely love it here, and I'd love to share support for some other locals :)

Hey fellow NBer......I live close to Fredericton as well. So how have you been making out with low carb? I have just started back, have had success with it before but never stuck with it.

ChefJLL
Mon, Jan-02-06, 10:46
Hi! I'm from Edmundston. Believe me, it is hard to do low-carb around here.... the one good thing about doing low-carb here is that even though it is a small town and not much going on here... I'm on the border. Not that Madawaska is a great hub for much of anything... Actually Edmundston is the hub. But I have access to low-carb stuff at the grocery store in Maine.

I'm trying to convince my mom that doing low-carb would greatly improve her health, since she's already testing her blood and taking "sugar-eating" pills. She keeps drinking her pop and eating her chips though. :rolleyes:

If there is anyone in the general area, I'd like to chat. I'm glad to see that there is a maritimer group out here though.

Happy New Year!

ChefJLL
Mon, Jan-23-06, 04:22
Well it's Monday January 23... Election Day! Just a reminder to GO VOTE! You may not care, you may think their all crooks... Don't let them steal your vote from you. Use it. Even just spoiliing your ballot will tell the government something. Imagine... 100% election day turn out, but 60% spoiled ballots... The government may be a majority government, but they know that they don't have the people behind them....

/me gets off my soapbox chanting... Go Vote! Get out there and Vote! Keep your Vote! Use your Voice and go Vote!!... fades as I walk away... :D ;)

leahmaria
Tue, Feb-14-06, 20:17
Hello Everybody,

So glad to have found this group online! I live in Milford, Nova Scotia, a little village smack in the middle of the province. I'm doing Atkins, and over the past 4 years have managed to drop from 303 lbs to 188 lbs (as of this morning!). Have had all kinds of ups and downs and stalls and successes, but am determined now to get those last 40 or 50 pounds off.

I would really like to start making my own "Jello" but every recipe I read calls for DaVinci non-sweetened syrups. I have called different places, like Great Ocean Natural Foods in Halifax (who used to carry them), but no luck.

Does anyone out there know of anyplace I might be able to find them?
Would appreciate the help...

Lee

RedJodie
Wed, Feb-15-06, 06:10
Hi Leah, and welcome! I live on New Brunswick and have never been able to find the Davinci syrups, you'd probably be better off buying them online.

Congratulations on your amazing loss! Since you say you're at 188 now, you might want to change your stats to reflect that. It always looks better in print! :)

leahmaria
Sat, Feb-18-06, 07:33
Thanks! I'll do that right away!
Leah

RedJodie
Sat, Feb-18-06, 14:11
Now doesn't that look better?!?! :)

slave2cb
Sat, Dec-23-06, 15:00
Hi ..Cape Breton Low Carber here (atkins ) Just started 2 1/2 weeks ago..posted on the over 50 site (broke my heart to admit to that )whaaaaaaaaaaa but its true 51.. so its time I did something about my weight... anyway I have lots also to lose..need a buddy close by ...hey you guys are doing wonderful..I think tomorrow is weigh in time ???? anyway glad to be here!!!! and already Iam done 10 pounds yippeeee

ariana64
Sat, Jun-04-11, 18:05
Hi folks,

I've done low carb before when I lived in NL. Now I'm living in Moncton, and my husband is a big supporter of The Protein Power diet. As for me, I'm a carb addict, so I can't go without carbs altogether. I find myself looking for low carb options. I order low carb items from www.thelowcarbgrocery.com. Its located in Toronto and they ship!

mj girl
Fri, May-11-12, 21:49
Hi everyone :wave: I'm new here and also 12 days into induction on Atkins. I'm in Fall River, N.S. Does anyone know if Tim Horton's Blueberry White Tea has any carbs? I haven't had any but really enjoy it and would love to have a cuppa!

mj girl
Sat, May-12-12, 07:05
Hi everyone! I'm in Fall River, N.S. :wave: 13 days of Atkins Induction. Doing well on it but frustrated as well with lack of LC products in our area. Gave up the search for pork rinds. A little worried that I purchased some Atkins shakes from sobeys yesterday and had one....didn't know about hidden carbs in them..eek!

mj girl
Sat, May-12-12, 07:07
Haha..bad memory! Forgot I introduced myself here last night! Must be a 40's thing!

scienticie
Sat, Sep-22-12, 18:59
Hey folks,

Another maritimer here in Moncton, NB. I moved here seven years ago and noticed the same thing. We should do something about it! I was thinking about getting a speaker in or at least a viewing of Tom Naughton's move Fathead.

Thoughts?

teabaglady
Fri, Jan-11-13, 08:00
things seem to be improving wrt product availability--at least a little bit. I am in Dartmouth NS as well and my husband & I have been at this since March of last year. Big thing for us is variety. We both like to cook (so I seldom get the chance lol) and are into gourmet food. The biggest challenge I have (other than cost) is to come up with interesting, new ideas. Summer is easier without question but winter is proving to be harder.

joeymelias
Tue, Mar-12-13, 11:57
from nova scotia

joeymelias
Tue, Mar-12-13, 11:58
http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/ is hands down the best

TaylorD
Mon, May-12-14, 08:45
Hi ... I am a new maritimer ... Almost 2 years. Nice to find a group to talk to ... Not many friends out in the country, especially when I feel fat, ugly and shy!
I don't know how to start this! Any help is appreciated! :agree: