PDA

View Full Version : Net Carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Mel4895
Fri, Jul-01-05, 13:56
I have been one the Atkins diet for 6 weeks. I initially lost great, but now I have been stalled and am bouncing up and down 3 or 4#. I bought one of the Atkins Advantage S'mores bars with 3 net carbs. I usually eat one as my afternoon snack. It shows 26 total carbs. Am I shooting myself in the foot by counting just 3 carbs or should I actually be counting the 26? I'm so confused.

leslieam
Fri, Jul-01-05, 16:00
Hi Mel! Welcome to the site. :wave:

To answer your question about carb counts - you will hear different things here. I can tell you what I do. I take the total carbs minus the fiber. Whatever is left is what I count. Some people will do total carbs minus fiber minus sugar alchols. That is the 'Net Carbs' to which you refer on the packaging of your Atkins Bar. I would suggest monitoring your success - maybe go a week w/o eating those bars and counting carbs as I do. If you lose better using the calculation I use, then you'll have your formula for success. :)

Plus, always read the packaging to insure there isn't anything sneaky. From what I've studied on this site, carb counts aren't as regulated as calorie, fat, etc. So it helps to educate yourself.

Take a read through the Atkins thread as I think there was a recent post discussing Net Carbs. Also let me remind you that Dr. Atkins highly recommended fresh foods (not frakenfoods as you'll hear it refered to on this site). Even though Atkins produces all these products, sometimes it's best to go with fresh veggies and meats especially in induction. JMO, though. :)

Sorry this is so long. Again, welcome to the site!