PDA

View Full Version : I am not encouraged here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RhondaK
Tue, Jun-28-05, 23:31
I had set the goal of july 8th to quit smoking. I came here hoping for some encouragment that I wouldn't gain weight and so far looks like 9 out of 10 people do gain. I JUST made it below 180 and the thought of possibly gaining 10 or 20 pounds is terrifying me.
I know you all will feel compelled to tell me how bad smoking is but I already know that and I know I will quit but I am in major depression before I even begin now. I have worked SO hard to lose weight the thought of gaining it back just really depresses me.
Has anyone managed to stop smoking AND not gain weight? If so PLEASE speak up and tell me your secret. :help:

foxgluvs
Wed, Jun-29-05, 00:07
Well I quit about 3 months ago, but since that event, my weight has dropped by 12lbs. I just made sure I watched what I ate and drank a ton of water every day - at least 100floz
I sometimes think it's in peoples phsyche to gain the weight, they expect they are going to so they do.
Just my 10c's worth.

petersn78
Wed, Jun-29-05, 00:37
I quit smoking six months ago. I picked up crocheting, and that helps my hands stay busy. I also saw my two year old mimick me smoking a cigarette and thats when I decided I wanted to be a good example to him.

misskimbee
Wed, Jun-29-05, 10:28
I quit smoking august of last year and I don't think I gained becasue I quit, I gained because I was lazy.....to exercise. at the very most, I gained 10-15 lbs (I was 185 when I quite smoking, and a few months after, almost 200 lbs)

Just stay active and occupy your hands with something better.

Sat, Jul-02-05, 18:07
My wife and I both quit and both continue to loss - don;t use food as a substitute - choose a toothpick they are low carb

Dodger
Sat, Jul-02-05, 18:25
I quit more than 30 years ago and did not gain weight. I started chewing gum to give my mouth something to do. I went through lots of gum.

DietSka
Sun, Jul-03-05, 04:57
Rhonda, please don't let this thought prevent you from quitting. I myself gained 10 pounds in the first month. I was in Maintenance and probably a bit too lax with my food choices, perhaps I ate more than I should have or maybe it was mostly water retention. I don't know. The fact is I fixed most of that gain in 2-3 weeks and am now only 2 pounds over my previous weight. Those 2 pounds will come off soon and I'm in no hurry anymore.
Yes, I was frustrated and depressed and none of my clothes would fit. But you needn't make the same mistakes I did. If you watch your diet closely you will continue losing. And don't give up, even if you stall for a few weeks while your body adjusts.
Find something else to do with the time and the money you're saving not smoking. This way you'll have something tangible that reminds you why you quit. I go shopping and every new pair of shoes reminds me how much cigarettes used to cost me and how many more shoes I could have had if I had quit earlier. :lol: (Of course, my new shoe addiction may be costing me a bit more, but at least they're not vanishing in a puff of smoke after just one use :D ).

ShesGG
Sat, Jul-16-05, 02:06
I had set the goal of july 8th to quit smoking. I came here hoping for some encouragment that I wouldn't gain weight and so far looks like 9 out of 10 people do gain. I JUST made it below 180 and the thought of possibly gaining 10 or 20 pounds is terrifying me.
I know you all will feel compelled to tell me how bad smoking is but I already know that and I know I will quit but I am in major depression before I even begin now. I have worked SO hard to lose weight the thought of gaining it back just really depresses me.
Has anyone managed to stop smoking AND not gain weight? If so PLEASE speak up and tell me your secret. :help:

I didn't gain weight, the hardest part for me was resisting the urge to pick up a cigg. It has been two years this Labor Day.

Did you know that bladder cancer is 80% preventable and smoking is the number one cause of it? I have bladder cancer now and wish I had never smoked. I haven't had any chemo yet, we have been dealing with the tumors with surgery thus far but if I need it, I will undergo it and not look back. I just want others out there to know what could happen.

Don't give in to the easy excuses like weight gain to start back up with such a destructive habit. Enough stuff happens as we get older anyway, why help it along?

Good luck, your confidence will soar if you win out over smoking! :)