PDA

View Full Version : Forced to Add Carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rodney
Wed, Nov-14-01, 15:12
Hello Slow Goers,

I've recently tried going back to low carbs to help control my insulin levels, but I'm getting killed from low calories. The weight starts to come off, I feel better, sleep better, stomach is less blah, then I'm suddenly weak from "hunger" (probably the adrenaline release as my body tells my liver to release glucose. I have a weird health problem where insulin and adrenaline make me weak because of ion shifts across the muscle membrane). So, I add carbs back in, feel better for awhile, but weight loss stops. Insulin is probably going back up putting the kibosh on fat burning.

I'm trying to just eat more protein and fat but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. For example:

I had a wonderful bedtime shake last night made with 50 grams of protein and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I slept like a baby right through 'till morning.

The other day at the mall, I was shopping and started to get week, so, wanting to eat low carbs, I bought one of those 8 grams of carbs bars at GNC and promptly crashed anyway from hunger. I probably wouldn't have crashed if I'd eaten a higher carb bar like Promax Chocolate Brownie (about 35 grams of carbs and 20 grams of protein).

Walking this tight rope is certainly slowing down my weight loss and causing my health to fluctuate right along with my insulin and potassium levels. Grrrr! I think I need intravenus olive oil. Any suggestions?

Natrushka
Wed, Nov-14-01, 15:18
Originally posted by Rodney
Any suggestions?

I'm not officially a slow goer, Rodney ;) I suggest you plan ahead. Much of the success of this WOL is planning, ensuring you have plenty of LC legal foods on hand for just such emergencies. Stash some pre packaged nuts in your glove compartment, at your desk at work. If you have access to a fridge at work make sure you keep some cream cheese, peanut butter, hard salami in it. Jerky (homemade is best) travels well, again, prepackage it for emergencies. Cans of olives, tuna, sardines etc can be left at work in your desk as well.

Using fat to get your calories up does work and can be done, it just takes some forward thinking :)

Nat