PDA

View Full Version : Question about UTI's

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

YogaBuff
Tue, Nov-13-01, 18:41
OK, I was a bad girl for a couple of days and didn't drink much water (running around in car and OK-- didn't want to have to stop at potties). Woke up today with burning urination and that retaining feeling, Ya know? Now I know from years of ezperience with these recurring darn things that what I usually do --and it goes away-- is at the first sign of dicomfort, I take a couple cystex to stop the burning (thank God) and then I guzzle cranberry juice all day. Works like a charm and even has the blesing of my doc. Well, as a first-aid sort of treatment. He knows that I know when it doesn't improve to go see him.

So.... the cranberry juice, of course, being out of the question, anybody have a way (safe of course to cause the urine to be more alkaline and slow the progress of those little bacteria??(EEEWWW!) Can I chew fresh cranberries and count the carbs?
I'm not liking the thought of THAT. Been drinking loads of h2o today, of course.

yb

doreen T
Thu, Nov-15-01, 10:04
Bladder infections, uggh. BTDT.

1. Drink water till you float.

2. You can buy cranberry concentrate as a capsule; most pharmacies will have it, or a health food store. Contrary to popular belief, cranberry juice ACIDIFIES the urine, not the opposite. The active ingredient is hippuric acid. The acid inhibits bacterial & yeast growth, and other components in cranberry prevent bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall.

3. Vitamin C, 4000 to 5000 mg, in divided doses. Don't use a timed-release form .. you may want to take buffered calcium ascorbate, or EsterC.

4. Acidophilus & Bifidus .. take on an empty stomach and at bedtime.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The presence of ketones will have no effect on the infection, since bacteria and yeasts thrive on SUGAR. Plus drinking lots of water will keep any ketones from concentrating.

hth, Doreen

YogaBuff
Thu, Nov-15-01, 20:48
Thanks, Doreen! Wow, and to think, all this time I thought the purpose (and the result) was alkaline urine!! Thanks also, for the other advice. As you know, having BTDT, your mind sort of goes out the window a you try to deal with the burning, pressure and pain, while going on with life. All you want is relief, and you can't think what to do .

Rates right up there with a yeast infection in intensity. Something Else I don't plan on having anymore since LC. LOL! Don't know where this darn thing came from.Having drowned myself in h2o, I 'm feeling better. Will write down your suggestions for next time. Ugh.

yb