PDA

View Full Version : Joining the maintenance club!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

relliott1
Tue, Jun-21-05, 10:18
Hi there! :wave: After 6 months of no movement on the scale and being otherwise actually very pleased with the way I look and feel, I have decided to up my goal weight from 130 to 140 and joing the maintenance club :) I think 130 was a bit unrealistic for me anyway - I haven't weighed that since high school and even then it was a struggle to maintain. Now, many years and two children later, I accept the fact that my "normal weight" is going to be a little higher. I can't believe all the great things this WOL has given me - my health has improved, my BP is down, I am more active, I am able to do more things with my children (I can remember two years ago when something so simple as reading a book to them was enough to make me pant and weeze trying to catch my breath :( ) and I feel like I look better than I have looked in MANY years.

One of the things I have also noticed is that it is taking a lot longer for my emotions to catch up with my body - I still feel "fat" even though I know I am not. I tend to not make eye contact with people when I walk down the street, I slump, I try not to attract attention to myself. When I DO get attention, I don't notice it and am always sort of in a state of disbelief when anyone brings my attention to it: "Why would they look at ME??" I was reading a similar thread on here yesterday, and it made me feel better to know I am not the only one feeling this way. I hope I am able to work through it soon, I have always felt myself to be a fairly confident person and it is uncomfortable for me to feel so self conscious suddenly, particularly when I expected to feel just the opposite!

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say hello to all the other maintainers and pre-maintainers :D I am SO happy to finally be here!

Robin

mammac-5
Tue, Jun-21-05, 17:24
Good for you! I've been at the same weight now for a few months and I'm thinking just the opposite...that it's time for me to get back with the program and work more toward getting down to my goal. I think it's realistic...I'm still a size 10 after all and that's where a lot of folks start to lose!

Kristine
Wed, Jun-22-05, 07:21
Howdy and welcome aboard. :wave:

I tend to agree with you - once you're in a healthy weight range and your weight loss stops naturally even though you're still "on plan", that's maintenance. Getting to a weight much lower than your set point takes a level of fitness and diet stringency that's pretty pointless for most people with a life.