PDA

View Full Version : Curvier women 'will live longer'

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Fri, Jun-03-05, 08:14
Not an article about low carbing, but I thought that it was interesting enought to post anyway :)

BBC News
London, UK
3 June, 2005

Curvy women are more likely to live longer than their slimmer counterparts, researchers have found.

Institute of Preventative Medicine in Copenhagen researchers found those with wider hips also appeared to be protected against heart conditions.

Women with a hip measurement smaller than 40 inches, or a size 14 would not have this protection, they said.

The researchers say hip fat contains a beneficial natural anti-inflammatory.

Narrow hips 'detrimental'

They said this anti-inflammatory, called adiponectin, prevents arteries swelling up and becoming blocked.

The hourglass figure has been made famous by women ranging from Marilyn Monroe and Sophia Loren to Kelly Brook and Catherine Zeta Jones today.

The Danish researchers examined almost 3,000 men and women aged between 35 and 65 from 1987 to 1988

They measured height, weight and body mass index - calculated by dividing weight in kilograms by the square of your height in metres.

They then looked at Danish health registers up until the end of 1998 to look at how many of the men and women had cardiovascular problems, and up to 2001 to see how many had died.

Compared to the group of women with the smallest hip circumferences, women with the biggest were found to have an 87% reduction in deaths.

They also had an 86% reduced risk of having coronary heart disease and a 46% reduction in the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, according to the researchers.

Previous studies have found both men and women with small hips are at an increased risk of developing diabetes, high blood pressure and gall bladder disease.

However the study, which has been published in Obesity Research, found a wider hip circumference was not linked with better heart health in men.

'Apple-shape' risk

Professor Berit Heitmann, who led the study, said: "It seems that the protection is not a matter of wide hips, it's the detrimental effect of narrow hips with a lack of muscle fat, or bone or a combination of both.

She added: "Fat on hips is different than fat on the abdomen. If you do not have enough of this fat you may risk heart attacks."

Carrying excess fat around the stomach, being 'apple shaped', is already known to be potentially damaging to health.

Fat cells in this part of the body pump out chemicals that can damage the insulin system, raising the risk of diabetes and heart disease.

Belinda Linden, of the British Heart Foundation said: "It has been widely reported that if you are apple-shaped, your risk of developing cardiovascular disease is likely to be greater than if you are pear-shaped.

"This study provides additional evidence of the association between hip circumference and cardiovascular protection among women."

But she added: "It is important to consider both your body weight and shape in tandem. Controlling both by eating less and being more active is the best way to reduce your risk of heart and circulatory disease."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4606011.stm

Nancy LC
Fri, Jun-03-05, 08:40
Women with a hip measurement smaller than 40 inches, or a size 14 would not have this protection, they said.

OMG! I must be really healthy then! I have 44" hips!

:p

What about thigh fat? Does it have any virtue, other than being ugly?

The hourglass figure has been made famous by women ranging from Marilyn Monroe and Sophia Loren to Kelly Brook and Catherine Zeta Jones today.

Neither of those women had 40" hips.

deb34
Fri, Jun-03-05, 10:03
With my "curves", i'll live forever!!!!!

:D :lol:

Dodger
Fri, Jun-03-05, 11:40
This is not new information. It has been known for a long time that having weight in the hips/thighs (pear shape) is better than having the same weight in the stomach (apple shape).

Nancy LC
Fri, Jun-03-05, 11:44
This is not new information. It has been known for a long time that having weight in the hips/thighs (pear shape) is better than having the same weight in the stomach (apple shape).

Well, its been thought it was neutral. These cats seem to be saying it's actually beneficial.

Here's the actual, non-papurized, study report:

http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/full/9/10/644

CindySue48
Sat, Jun-04-05, 12:36
Is this the article that the CDC has their shorts all in a knot about?????

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050602/hl_nm/obesity_dc;_ylt=Akp9vSQrIoICNn0SCeOcBU4Q.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

ATLANTA (Reuters) - The Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention, in an effort to dispel confusion after recent statistics suggesting being overweight may not be as lethal as once thought, reiterated on Thursday that obesity was a major health threat to Americans.
ADVERTISEMENT

CDC Director Julie Gerberding said the agency planned to invest more resources in studying the problem and bringing clarity to the debate over obesity, and noted that some confusion was due to the fact that obesity was not listed in medical records as a cause of death.

"Obesity and overweight are critically important health threats in this country, they have many adverse consequences," Gerberding said during a news briefing.

"While we may not have an accurate estimate yet of the exact number of people who die from obesity, we certainly know that there is a large number of people who have the problem," Gerberding said.

A group backed by the fast food industry in April jumped on new government data that questioned earlier government assertions that obesity causes nearly as many deaths as smoking, and launched an advertising blitz aimed at dismissing as hype fears about the health effects of being overweight.

The campaign by the Center for Consumer Freedom was inspired by new statistics from a CDC unit, the National Center for Health Statistics, or NCHS, that indicated 112,000 deaths were caused by obesity in 2000.

Previously, the CDC had cited statistics to claim that 400,000 people in the United States died every year from excess fat, almost as many as the 435,000 whose deaths are attributed to smoking.

CDC officials have said that obesity should be looked at in the context of what it contributes to life-threatening diseases, including cancer and diabetes.

Gerberding said the agency would focus more resources on studying the problem and improving how it communicates with the public on the issue.

ddaniels
Sun, Jun-05-05, 22:16
I wish all these scientists would make up their minds... I FINALLY got my hips down to 39"!!! And there is NO way I can get down to the "healthy" range BMI for my 5'3" and keep hips of 40"! I can't keep big hips AND have a BMI of 25 or below. If I could shove my waist fat (and my arm fat) down to my hips I would gladly do it, however.

Josiemk
Mon, Jun-06-05, 16:47
I guess I'm not as healthy as I thought I was. My hips are about 34. I have the tendency to carry belly fat. I've had to have my gall bladder removed in my early 30's so did my Mama. But Mama has an hour glass figure & I'm more of a ruler. And I just found out that I have high blood pressure. I had no idea this was all related. And diabetes runs on both sides of my family.

So I really need to watch my diet & exersize more.

Nancy LC
Mon, Jun-06-05, 19:11
Yeah, stomach fat is the worst sort health-wise. I guess hip fat is either neutral or beneficial.