PDA

View Full Version : How did you know the number of carbs?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

neihu
Sun, May-29-05, 09:30
I just found out that I am pregnant. It is a bit of a surprise.
I have been in maintance for about a year and half, and have recently started an aggressive excersize program. I thought that is why I was hungry all the time, but now I put it down to the baby.
So how do I know how many carbs I should be eating? I know some woman have said 70-100, but where did that figure come from?
Thanks!

zoemom
Wed, Jun-01-05, 19:59
Hi Neihu,

I'd say that the number of carbs you should eat while pregnant depends entirely on you. When I was pregnant, I went off carb counting entirely and just limited my refined sugar and white flour intake, eating whole grain breads, rice, and more fruit. I didn't put on a lot of non-baby weight thru the pregnancy (although I didn't go back on the diet after the baby because I am nursing and now have put on weight :()

I'd say the most important thing is to make sure your midwife or OB knows if you are restricting your diet. That little one needs a healthy balance of foods - which you sure can do following a looser version of the Atkins lifestyle :)

Congratulations and enjoy every moment - pregancy is the most special time in a woman's life!

-zoemom

Stardust
Thu, Jun-23-05, 01:48
The advice I heard and used was enough carbs to stay out of ketosis. First I tried 75g and just didn't feel right. Then I upped to right around 100 and felt good. I also ate at least 100g protein day. I ended up with the blessing of the doctor and nutritionist on my diet while pg.

Good luck!