PDA

View Full Version : Cold Vs. cough Syrup

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

joanne42
Fri, Nov-09-01, 05:52
Okay all you fellow low carbers out there.. I need a question answered and quick!!! LOL I woke up this am with a terrible sore throat (and yes I had my flu shot) and am wondering what I can take for this that doesn't have sugar... PLEASE ANYONE ... Ideas would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance.

Sharon
Fri, Nov-09-01, 06:16
Joanne, I don't have a brand name for you.....but I would be almost sure you should be able to find something at the drug store for a sore throat that's sugar free.

There are diabetic products of many varieties. Even though it might be something you don't really want to take, I personally see no harm when you're sick

How about making some sugar-free popsicles??? (I made some out of Crystal Lite before....or regular kool-aid with Splenda). Something cold to sooth the throat.

Hope you're feeling good again real soon.

joanne42
Fri, Nov-09-01, 07:19
hmmm never thought of that.. lol I have some made in my freezer.. But now if only I can keep stuff down :(

agonycat
Fri, Nov-09-01, 07:31
Try gargling with salt water?

My mom always made up a glass of warm water with a tsp or 2 of salt and made me gargle with it when I was little.

Just don't swallow the stuff as it will make you ill.

doreen T
Fri, Nov-09-01, 09:40
Sorry you're not feeling well Joanne. That's the trouble with viruses ... you get a flu shot to protect you against the strain that is causing the most illness in the general population, and invariably, you catch something different.

Another possibility is bacteria infection, such as Strep. Bacteria and viruses are totally different beasties; flu shots won't prevent Strep throat. As the others have suggested, sucking icy popsicles (or simply crushed ice) can be soothing ... and so will the saline gargles. Personally, I go for the chicken broth to sip.

If you develop a fever, if the lymph nodes in your neck become swollen and tender, if you're produing yellowish secretion ... and/or if you notice your ears getting plugged ... Get thee to the doctor at once! It may well be a Strep or Staph infection, and an antibiotic may be necessary (antibiotics are useless for viruses though)

Take care, and hope you're feeling better soon :)

Doreen

joanne42
Fri, Nov-09-01, 19:55
Thanks for all your responses... :roll:

Ruth
Fri, Nov-09-01, 20:51
Two different things have worked for me:

1. Warm salt water gargle (it works & my previous GP highly recommends it over any commercial preparations)

OR
2. Warm water & grated fresh ginger or dried ground ginger. This home remedy was brought home from a guided tour to China(alas, not me, someone else went). I avoid ginger at all costs & have tried this: it works!

I hope you don't come down with a full-fledged cold.