PDA

View Full Version : Atkins & other products vs. real food

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lessara
Thu, Nov-08-01, 12:16
I know I'm limiting my food choices but I just don't trust the carb count on most of Atkin's products. First of all, I stall... no I gain weight! Second of all, I get these headaches from Bars, shakes and such. Anyone else? Is this all in my head and just my imagination? Am I blaming the wrong thing?? :(

Natrushka
Thu, Nov-08-01, 12:22
Avoiding Frankenfoods (as Doreen likes to call 'em) isn't limiting your food choices, Lessara. Why eat the fake stuff when you can enjoy whole foods that don't give you headaches or cause you to gain weight? The purpose of LC is learning (and re-learning) how to eat healthy foods that nourish and heal; it is not to replace high carb processed foods with lower carb processed foods.

My humble 2 cents ;)
Nat

lesleyc
Thu, Nov-08-01, 12:57
I agree with Nat - I don't go there because of the issue of hidden carbs, plus I'm worried that they will trigger carb cravings (being substitutes and all) which I have so successfully squashed
:bash:

There is heaps of other good stuff to have

lesley

RamonaK
Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:03
I suspicion that Dr. Atkins did not come up with his line of products or even if he did...he has Marketing company that does all the work... and oftens times that leaves a lot of room for error.. because these products are targeted for all the BAR eaters and 'healthy' DRINKERS.... which are not the same audience as people who eat clean based on his program. Just another revenue stream for him.. a BIG one I bet!!!

It probably wouldn'd be a bad idea if we started aletter writing campaign to let him know how we feel. Will that change his mind? I don't know, but maybe they might market it a little differently. Like on most 'drinks' they do say that they are not intented for wieght loss... it is in fine print.. but it is there...

a few thoughts

Ramona

Charyl
Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:08
What are hidden carbs? I have seen these mentioned in many a post but not sure what they are or how to find them - they sure are good at hiding???!!!! :D

Charyl

Erin4980
Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:27
Well, I hope I'm accurate...
I hidden carb is a carb that is in a product, but not list on the back of the product. I think the reason they (meaning companies)are aloud to do this is b/c technically the carbs they are subtracting are from sugar alcohols, which they say do not raise insulin level. On some products, you'll see a "**" next to the carb count which will indicate that theysubtract out those carbs and sometimes it will mean they've already subracted out the fibe (which is fine). The sugar alcohol that they are subtracting can raise insulin level, I not sure, but it may only be on an individual basis.
You can determine if something has hidden carbs with the "HIDDEN CARB CALCULATOR," which is under Low Carb Tools on the Menu bar. There are two calculators, so make sure you look for the one for "hidden carbs."

Hope I've been some help and hope I've been correct:)
E

Erin4980
Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:28
Sorry the writing in that messages is soo bad, I'm alittle foggy today;)

Erin4980
Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:30
Sorry the writing in that messages is soo bad, I'm alittle foggy today;)

Also, charyl, if you have more questions about hidden carbs - do a search, they are really helpful is seeing what others have talked about and found:)

Natrushka
Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:35
Originally posted by Erin4980
Hope I've been some help and hope I've been correct:)

You were correct, Erin. :)

FYI, you can go back and edit your own posts by hitting "delete / edit" at the bottom of each post on the right. You cannot delete your post, however. You can only edit a post you created w/in two days of the time you posted it.

Nat

Lessara
Fri, Nov-09-01, 06:56
Nat, What a great picture!! You have a heck of a smile!
:daizy:

Karen
Fri, Nov-09-01, 10:49
I echo the "clean" eating aspect of this WOL. Some people want a life change, some just want weight loss and some want to keep the status quo. Low carb products are for the last two.

Karen

Lessara
Fri, Nov-09-01, 11:43
Karen, I really love the fact my life became more simple with this LCing! I mean, have you ever gone shopping when you are watching fat and you have to look for low fat products? I think fat is harder to replace than carbs.. Maybe I'm wrong that's just my impression of it. :)

Karen
Fri, Nov-09-01, 12:49
Yep! Not to mention the insane amount of mysterious ingredients to make low-faD products edible. Low-carb seems so natural. Just protein and vegetables.

Karen

Charyl
Fri, Nov-09-01, 13:46
I agree - low carbs is much easier than low fat - I just went to a lunch and had a salad with I'm sure regular dressing; a chicken breast in a cream sauce, green beans with roasted potatoes and a dessert. Now the only thing I had to avoid was the 2-3 pieces of potatoes in the green beans and the dessert - everything else was "legal". And by the time I got finshed cleaning my plate - I didn't want the dessert - actually is had whipped cream on top - so I ate that!!! - the best part!!!!

If I had been low fatting it - I would have been in trouble from the start with the salad dressing!

I just love LCing!!!!

charyl

LC Sponge
Fri, Nov-09-01, 16:41
My motto is 'food should come from the farm, not the laboratory'.

I tried an Atkins product once. The Bake Mix, if I remember correctly. It's in the trunk of my car at the moment, waiting for that spinning tire on ice....

I tried a loaf of bread from it and ran screaming from the stuff. It tasted like sawdust.

Then there was the day I gave in and bought some kind of low carb chocolate and peanut butter bar. I took one bite and that what the last time I purchased a pre-fabricated low carb product.

Blech :stop:

Jo-Ann 2
Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:58
Bought the shake and the baking mix and payed way to much money. Tried the shake and the first time I thought ok this is an interesting taste and put it away, brought it out two nights ago and made one, had one taste and threw it down the sink. To think some people actually drink that stuff.
So does it really work as well as sand on ice?