PDA

View Full Version : Help me please!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MoNoCarb
Thu, May-19-05, 06:01
All

I had been smoke-free for about three weeks about three weeks ago, but since then have started to smoke whilst drinking alcohol and it is escalating and I know it is only a matter of time until I'm up to my old habits.

I'm also so ashamed because my fiance has been quit for over two months now and is doing really well, so I have been sneaking cigarettes in the loos and stuff and hiding it from him.

Got caught smoking last Saturday night and lied and told him it was only that one.

I DON'T WANT TO LIE to him. What I want is to be free. The fact is that when I was off them for three weeks, I really started to notice how cravings were really subsiding and I was scarcely ever thinking about cigarettes.

WHY OH WHY did I go and ruin it with that first puff?

Today is Day 1 all over again for me and I really, really need support and help being accountable. I feel like such a failure and morally weak and bankrupt.

I honestly feel like a bad person and fear that I will NEVER overcome addiction in my life.

FabByFifty
Thu, May-19-05, 06:48
MOnocarb,
Just hang in there. You already know what to expect, because weeks ago you went through the process.
I am on my third day of non smoking, and this is tough! :thup: Please, don't give in to the craving no more!! Throw the damn cigarettes out, and stay clean!
This time don't do it after you get over the withdrawls, and the worst days, and you will be home free!
Just get past this, and we both know that you can do it! :thup:

REMEMBER YOU ARE A NON SMOKER, AND YOU NEED TO KEEP THAT IN Y0UR HEAD TODAY, AND ALWAYS!! :)

alison528
Thu, May-19-05, 07:59
Stay away from the alcohol and it will help you with your weight loss too. I am only on day two but I am trying to put very negative thoughts about smoking in my mind and it seems to be working. Everytime I see someone smoking I tell myself how disgusting it is. I even watched my dh smoking outside and hacking his head off and felt repulsed.

MoNoCarb
Thu, May-19-05, 08:57
Thanks to both of you for your help and suggestions.

Alison, you are absolutely correct that I need to stay away from alcohol. I have ONLY smoked when under the influence.

I think it's safe to say that alcohol is another addiction that needs kicking. Might as well do them both at once!

Thu, May-19-05, 10:07
We have day 3, Day2 and day 1 - now if you three stick together and talk your way through things you will all make it.

Remember - golden rule - there is no such thing as just one cigerette. You have the abilities to keep going smokefree. You don't need food that is unhealthy to quit. Stay with your low carb life style.

Talk your way thorugh the cravings and tell them - hell laugh at them - say is this all you got. Drink water during cravings, if you need it use a tooth pick. But don't break down - maintain a positive attitude and you will win.

Keep it moving forward

Tim :)

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 15 hours, 27 minutes and 23 seconds (24 days). I have saved $130.60 by not smoking 492 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day and 17 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 4/24/2005 4:40 PM

alison528
Thu, May-19-05, 10:20
Thanks 301

I refuse to gain weight while quitting smoking. I had scrambled eggs at 8:30 this morning and am still not hungry for lunch. I can only think that low carbing will help with hunger. But the other thing that I understand is that nicotine withdrawals feel like hunger and that is why people overeat when they quit.

MoNoCarb
Thu, May-19-05, 11:42
Alison

When I quit smoking (before I cracked up this time I was off cigarette for 3 weeks), I started lo carbing and upped my exercise routine a bit and lost weight.

It's not a necessity to gain weight whilst giving up.

I'm feeling positive about quitting now. I WILL NOT WAIVER AGAIN.

Thu, May-19-05, 12:02
This program is what our family used http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/aboutus.htm

and it does talk about not gaining weight - I think the worse is what you do for a substitute.

Keep working together you three - proud of you all :)

BARBERJRB
Fri, May-20-05, 08:18
I AM A SMOKER AND IN FACT AM SMOKING RIGHT NOW. I KNOW THAT IS TERRIBLE BUT I HAVE THIS PACK OF CIGARETTES & FOR SOME REASON I HAVE FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO THROW THEM OUT OR JUST QUIT COLD TURKEY WHEN THEY ARE AROUND ME. MY HUBBY IS A SMOKER TOO. I WANT DESPARTELY TO QUIT. IN THE PAST, I HAVE ONLY QUIT, WHEN I DON'T HAVE ANY CIGARETTES HERE FOR ME AND I JUST DONT BUY ANYMORE. I SMOKED FOR 10 YEARS, QUIT FOR 2, STARTED BACK FOR 2 AND THEN QUIT FOR 3 AND NOW STARTED BACK AGAIN FOR THIS PAST YEAR. INITIALLY I STARTED BACK THIS LAST TIME DUE TO MY NERVE ISSUES. NOW I AM ADDICTED. I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES DURING THIS YEAR TO KICK THE HABIT, LONGEST SMOKE FREE TIME WAS 11 DAYS. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET THAT STUFF OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM AND ACTUALLY KICK THE HABIT, 4 DAYS OR 3 WEEKS??? I HAVE HEARD BOTH. MY PROBLEM IS THAT I TRULY ENJOY THE ACT OF SMOKING, I FIND IT RELAXING AND I LOOK FORWARD TO THAT CIGARETTE. THE DOWN SIDE IS THAT I HAVE ASTHMA, YES I AM REALLY STUPID TO BE SMOKING. I CAN FEEL MY CHEST TIGHTENING AND PRESSURE AND I HEAR WHEEZES, BUT SOMEHOW THAT DOES NOT SEEM TO STOP ME. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? :o I HAVE EXERCISED REGULARLY OVER THE PAST 4 YEARS AND WATCHED MY DIET AND LOST LOTS OF WEIGHT. NOW I AM ON THE CARB LIFESTYLE AND LOSING WT, ALTHOUGH THIS LAST WEEK, HAVE LOST NONE. I USE CIGARETTES AS A CRUTCH & I HONESTLY FEEL SO WEAK AND ASHAMED THAT I AM ADDICTED. ON TOP OF ALL THAT, MY FAMILY HAS AN EXTREMELY POSITIVE HISTORY OF CANCER. YOU WOULD THINK THIS WOULD BE ENOUGH TO SCARE ME INTO QUITTING. I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET. (JO

alison528
Fri, May-20-05, 12:19
Maybe you could try wellbutrin to help you.

Fri, May-20-05, 13:17
BARberjrb

This weekend read all 10 chapters my wife, myself and others have used this thought to get it done - and we will be here to support you through the rough craving days - let us know :)