PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand the hidden carb counter thing!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sabrina
Wed, Nov-07-01, 13:22
I just went into the lowcarb tools to lookup the hidden carbs thing. It says that you are able to find those hidden carbs but I dont understand how you can do this. It didnt have anything there for me to look up a certain food to let me know if there were any. Am I getting this all wrong? It says hidden car counter then has a line below it and then a box which I tried to type something in there but got nothing, then below that it says calories with a bunch of lines under it. I am confused. Sabrina

tamarian
Wed, Nov-07-01, 20:07
Hi Sabrina,

The hidden carbs calculator needs the following information from the label of the item you want to check.

To use it, plug in the following from the label:

Calories, carbs, protein, and fat.

The scroll list below gives a choice of food groups. Let's say your checking on the label of peanut butter, you can select Nuts.

The scroll list choice is not necessary, it just helps getting a more accurate result.

The result, should match the carb count from the label. If they match, then you have zero hidden carbs, it they don't match, then the difference is considered hidden carbs. i.e. the label says 5g carbs, but the calc says 9g carb, then the manufacturer is hiding 4 grams of carbs from you.

If you don't have a label, and just want to find the count of various food items, you can use the carb counter.

Wa'il

sabrina
Wed, Nov-07-01, 20:49
Well here I am again could you please go step by step with me starting out at carb tools? When i plug into tools hidden carb calculator comes up so I plug into that. But when I do theres nothing showing to do what you are talking about. I am lost. So again if you dont mind from the very beginning with me. One more thing there was something called carbohydrated list counter, I believe thats it and it shows a label but it has categories to plug into nothing that you can enter or nothing anywhere where you have to plug in numbers for carbs,proteins,calories and fats. I feel stupid! Sabrina

tamarian
Wed, Nov-07-01, 21:41
Sabrina, it my fault. The post I made above describes the hidden carbs calculator, NOT the carb counter.

To use the carb counter:

1. Click the "Low-Carb Tools" from the menu above
2. There are 3 tools there so far. The first one is the carbohydrates counter. Click on the title or the pic (label)
3. Select a food category, like "Fruits and Fruit Juices". You can select other things, but they are optional, like sort by carbs, and list ascending or descending order.
4. Click on "Go"
5. It will show you a list of all items found in the category and list their carbs, fat and protein content.
6. Select the item you are interested in, and it will take you to another page with all the details, like sgars, mineral, kinds of fats, amino acids, vitamins, caffeine, water content, etc.

Hope this helps,

Wa'il

sabrina
Wed, Nov-07-01, 21:58
Is this the same thing as the hidden carb counter? Is this thing that you are explaining going to give me a carb amount and if its different than the label with carbs then I subtract the two to get the hidden carbs? sabrina

tamarian
Wed, Nov-07-01, 22:06
Originally posted by sabrina
Is this the same thing as the hidden carb counter? Is this thing that you are explaining going to give me a carb amount and if its different than the label with carbs then I subtract the two to get the hidden carbs? sabrina

The one I just explained in the last post, gives the true carb count, according to the USDA.

The one in my first post explains a different tool, called the Hidden Carbs Calculator. It's the second tool in the tools page.

Wa'il

sabrina
Wed, Nov-07-01, 22:13
The hidden carbs calculator is the one that I would like to learn. Thats the one that you subtract carb totals if they are different right? If so could you please go step by step from very beginning with me? Sabrina

tamarian
Wed, Nov-07-01, 22:28
Sure thing. :)

To calculate hidden carbs:

1. Click "Low Carb Tools"
2. Scroll to the second tool and click the title "Hidden Carbs Ispector" or the picture.
3. On the entry for type the items for your label in the corresponding fields:

Example:

Calories: 83 calories
Fat: 6 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Carbs: 2 grams

In the accuracy field, select "Nuts and Seed Products"

4. Click "Calculate"

5 Check the result:

It will list:

Carbohydrates Factor
Protein Factor
Fat Factor

These are the factors used in the calculation from the USDA labs

And the important part:

Actual carb count: 5.50 g
Difference by weight: 3.50 g

Which means: The manufacturer said the have 2 grams of carbs per portion, but in reality there are 5.5 grams. A difference of 3.5 grams from the true count.

Wa'il

sabrina
Thu, Nov-08-01, 16:42
Hi Nat, I did what you said and when I click the carb inspector I get this picture of something that says hidden carb counter then it has a black line that says label and directly under that ther is a box as if there was something for you to click on but the only thing is is that it does nothing. Right next to it is the word calories and then theres a bunch of lines underneath that as if you were to write something its looks like a mini piece of paper. It won't let me inside there to type. there isn't anything that says calculate either. I mean there is nothing for me to enter like the examples you gave me. Could it be that because I'm on aoltv I'm getting something different or cant access the same thing? It shouldnt have anything to do with it I wouldn't think but then again I dont know. It's kinda upsetting that I'm not getting what you are explaining. One question, How do I do my body fat % and all the measurements and to find out if my goal weight is right for me? Thanks a bunch for all of your help. I wish I was on a computer so I could download what I see when I click that hidden carb counter so I could pass it on to ya. Sabrina

tamarian
Thu, Nov-08-01, 17:41
Hi Sabrina,

I think this explains it :( I never used WebTV or AOLTv, but I do no they have some limitations. I'll do some checking and see if I can have it work for those TV browsers.

As for body fat, we don't have that tool yet, but it's in my to-do list. Do you have the protein power book? They do have some body fat calculation tables. There are a couple of web sites that have some similar tools. Check the the exercise forum, there are some those links posted there, they might help.

Will let you know if I get the tools working for your browser.

Wa'il

sabrina
Thu, Nov-08-01, 18:22
Thanks so much nat. Hey do you how I can send someone an instant message when they are online so that we can chat with one another? When I go to my profile it shows me a list of my buddis and lets me know which ones are on line. Is there a way to do it there? Thnx for the hlp Sabrina

tamarian
Thu, Nov-08-01, 19:19
Hi Sabrina,

Why do you call me Nat? You're confusing me for Nat, and I'm not worthy :)

By, IM do you mean the Chat? You can always use the Chat function at the bottom of the main page.

Wa'il

sabrina
Fri, Nov-09-01, 13:39
Hi there I am so sorry for doing this, I dont know why I did that. I guess yea you could say chat. Lets say we were both online because under my buddies list it said that you were online, how do I go about sending instant messages or chatting? Thanks again and sorry again. Sabrina

tamarian
Fri, Nov-09-01, 13:49
I'm not a Tam, either :) I'm a big furry guy! :lol:

We don't have an instant message system. But you could send a PM for them to meet you in the chat room if you want.

Just click on the chat logo at the bottom of the main page, and it will open up a new window for chatting.

I'll check to see if TV browsers can handle this. Stay tuned (or give it a try to see if it works) as I'm still checking for the calc/browser thing.

Wa'il

sabrina
Sat, Nov-10-01, 23:20
Hello tamarian, (big furry guy) ;) Yehhhhhh I finally got it right huh? Wanted to know if you came up with anything for me on the hidden counter? Tried it again and got the same thing. Hidden Carb Calculator --------------------------------- Stated label Information ---------------------------------- Heres a box Calories ----------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- Down here it talks about negative something. And thats it. I tried to click on the box and it does nothing. Don't understand what the box is for. Hope this helps ya to see what I am getting when I click on the inspector. I so desperately need to use this because today I ate a carbolite bar thinking it had 3 carbs like the label said, wrong I was informed by Ka3ryn, I believe, that it had hidden carbs, 9.68. Please help. Sabrina

sabrina
Sat, Nov-10-01, 23:25
Carb counter with the line under it, then the stated label info with line under it, then the box on the right side withe the calories on the left about a half a space down then all the lines. sorry sabrina

Karen
Sun, Nov-11-01, 00:06
This is basically what the calculator looks like. Down where it says calculate - highlighted in red - shows up as a little magnifying glass. Have you clicked the magnifying glass? That's what tells the calculator to calculate.

Low-Carb Diet Tools

Hidden Carbs Calculator
Stated Label Information

Calories

Fat g

Protein g

Carbohydrates g

Subtracted Fiber? g

Only fill this out, if the manufacturer stated that the fiber was subtracted before calculating the calorie/energy value of the food, and is not included in the carbs listed.

Choose the food category this product belongs to. This will help adjust the calculation.

Calculate!

Notes: Negative results may be the result of rounding. If 9.49 grams of fat was rounded to 9 grams, this will produce a negative 1 gram of carb. Read more about Hidden Carbs.

Karen

tamarian
Sun, Nov-11-01, 00:23
Hi Sabrina,

Still can't find a source to test AOLTv browsers.

In the mean time, why not post the label information here and we'll plug the info for you. :)

Wa'il

sabrina
Sun, Nov-11-01, 08:40
Hi Karen, the only problem is there is no little magnifine glass anywhere for me to click on. And there is no calculate either. It's like they forgot to put the rest on there so I could do this. Even where all the lines are underneath the calories it wont let me in the box to type except the only thing that I can type in is that little box nest to the calorie and it does absolutely nothin. sabrina

doreen T
Sun, Nov-11-01, 09:07
Sabrina, Wa'il has a great suggestion ... you can just type the nutrient data in a post here on the forum, and somebody for sure will see it and enter the data for you.

For now I guess, many of the tools and gizmos are only functional with Internet Explorer or Netscape browsers ... AOL and Webtv won't recognize the program codes in the database .. ;) yet.

Doreen

tamarian
Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:58
AOL is fine, it's AOLTv that hs a problem.

Wa'il

doreen T
Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:59
Ooops, yes, thanks Wa'il. That's what I meant. Typo ... or possibly not enough coffee at the time
:doah:

Doreen