PDA

View Full Version : My road seems long

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sallyo
Tue, May-17-05, 03:45
Hi - I found this site today, I have only had a weight problem since the menopause (or mentalpause) 5 years ago. I have gained about 12 lbs a year since then and combined with a rather stressful life over the last 2 years hate the sight of myself. I want to wear the size 10-12 clothes I used to wear and as yet have been unable to find a Zcup bra. After a dose of salmonella when for 3 days I ate virtually nothing I decided to go for low/no carbs and have stuck to this quite well, have also kept low on the fats and oils, but as yet have not lost a pound. I would be glad of any tips from anyone with the same circumstances. By the way I love horses and horse-riding but had an accident 5 years ago and have not had the nerve to get back on (thats if I could find a horse with a back strong enough. :q:

wilson401
Tue, May-17-05, 04:44
Sallyo,

Welcome and please try not to be so hard on yourself. I am not in the same hormonal stage (menopause) but I am battling hormones (just quit nursing after 1 year) Menopause can last, unfortunatly, a long time. My advice would be not to attempt no-carb eating because you miss out on so many wonderful fruits and veggies filled with nutrients that your body needs. Most all of the plans on here are strict (as low as 20 carbs daily) during the induction/phase 1 stage, but then they gradually begin to add good carbs back in to the point that you can tolerate it and still keep control of your appetite and weight.

Good Luck and let me know if, when, and where you find that Z cup :)

Jennifer

astrid
Tue, May-17-05, 05:10
Hi, I understand what you mean about the road being sooooo long. My start weight was 274, and I thought that it was IMPOSSIBLE to ever fit in normal sizes. I'm down to size 14 ish from size 24 (and that was even small sometimes). Try to stay postive and there is a "light at the end of the tunnel" ;)
Take care
Astrid

sallyo
Wed, May-18-05, 02:18
Thanks Jennifer and Astrid I have not quite lost the will to live and am eating some fruit and salad even had asparagus yesterday. Still no loss but am burning ketos. Thank you for you encouragement

Rosebud
Wed, May-18-05, 03:04
I decided to go for low/no carbs and have stuck to this quite well, have also kept low on the fats and oils, but as yet have not lost a pound.
Hi Sally,

I think going low cal, as well as low fat could be your problem. ;)
We need fat on this WOE to use as fuel. And most of us find we need around 10 to 12 times our body weight in calories to sustain a healthy loss.
It has also been proven on at least 2 clinical trials that I've seen that low carbers can eat on average 300 calories a day more than low fat/low cal dieters to achieve the same weight loss.
And by keeping your calories low, your body may be in "starvation mode." It thinks you have stopped feeding it, and will hang onto whatever it can for a while. I know it seems weird to be told to eat more when you want to lose weight, but it has happened to many, many members here that their loss increases dramatically when they eat more.

How about sticking with a set plan for a while? It doesn't have to be Atkins - there are several great plans that work well. But the vest majority of successful losers find that sticking with a plan as written is very helpful in the early stages of weight loss. You can find info on more plans in "Plans" on the green menu bar at the top of the screen.

Cheers,

Rosebud:rose:

FanciFace
Wed, May-18-05, 10:13
Hi Sally,

First off Welcome :wave: to the forum.

I have to agree with Rosebud. Read around, you need fats when you cut back the carbs, basically this is how it works, your body doesn't make fat from fat. It turns carbs into stored fat. Now that being said if you deny your body fat it will say wait I need fat, and keep storing it, but if you take in plenty of fat it will burn the stored fat. I know it's kind of a hard concept to grasp, it ook me several months. But when I lost 45 pounds in like 10 weeks I now, like many a Red Sox fan, BELIEVE! A few keys, water, water, water, water, and excercise, even if it's a walk a day or every other day. You will soon get past your 3-4 HARD days and have a lot more energy.

Good luck and stop by my journal and giv eme some updates!

sallyo
Fri, May-20-05, 03:23
Thanks all for yur great encouragement, since my last posting I have lost 1 glorious lb, I am taking loads of vits and drinking warm water with lemon and dandelion drops as I think that maybe there is a water retention and lymphatic problem, I also am taking Kelp and Lecithin as I have a slightly underactive thyroid. You guys are really great and supportive I look forward to my e-mails in the morning. :thup: I have two small Jack Russell cross with poodle dogs and try to keep up with them on our daily walk, difficult with my 26 kilo bag of potatoes as well. Take care all of you and thanks again - Sallyo

astrid
Fri, May-20-05, 05:39
Hi, congrats on the lb gone.
I also have 2 dogs, one lab and a border collie, they definetly make my walks more of a workout.
You should start a journal so we can stop by and say hi.
Hope you have a great weekend.
Take care
Astrid