PDA

View Full Version : soy flour/ atkins bake mix

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

daisy
Wed, Nov-07-01, 07:12
Anyone know where I can get hold of the soy flour or atkins bake mix used in a lot of these recipes? I live in the UK & we're a bit behind the times here! I really enjoy baking & cooking, though, & have tried lots of the recipes- but I'd like to try out some more! I'd be happy to buy them over the internet or by mail order if necessary.

Thanks!

:daizy:

TryAgain
Wed, Nov-07-01, 07:56
soy flour can be purchased at the health food store.

For atkin's products, you can buy them on-line at www.atkinsdiet.com

Hope this helps...

daisy
Wed, Nov-07-01, 07:58
Think it's actually soy protein I need? I found soy flour in a local deli, but only in 250g bags which I didn't think would last long. Also, splenda????

TryAgain
Wed, Nov-07-01, 11:28
I have trouble finding it also. I order it from Atkins.

DesertRose
Thu, Nov-15-01, 22:54
Hi daisy, :wave:

If you have a GNC (General Nutrition Center) store you will find Dr. Atkin products including his shakes there. Another place to look is a vitamin store. You wouldn't believe it, but folks are getting wind of the low carb way of life and now grocery stores have Dr. Atkins products. Just look in the health food area or where they shelve the slim-fast. If all else fails you can order it : Atkins Online (http://www.atkinscenter.com/) .

Good luck!!

:rose: DesertRose

Meeker
Fri, Dec-14-01, 14:23
Has anyone that's used both the bake mix and just soy flour noticed what is needed with the soy flour to make it perform as well as the mix? I noticed someone mentioned baking powder. How big of a difference is it in quality?
I can get soy flour with no problem, but Atkins is really expensive.

kengib
Fri, Dec-21-01, 12:53
Just yesterday saw a recipe for the Atkins type Bake Mix but forgot where. Suggest you do a web search on "Atkins Bake Mix".

Here in the USA I buy much of my Atkins products directly on line from the "Atkins Center" Much is on a discount. Basic items like the mix and shakes and Advantage Bars are available from our GNC stores [General Nutrition Company]. As GNC is now owned by a British company possibly these products are available in England.

Splenda is a trade name for sucrolose and is now suppose to be available worldwide. It is an excellent artificial sweetener but if not available any sugar-free low carb sweetener might be satisfactory. I prefer to use the food additive "stevia" which is fully natural and does have natural minerals. It is only sold as a food supplement but can be practically as a sweetener as it is many many times sweeter than sugar and without any carbrhydrates of calories. It is from the leaf of a wild weed in southern Brazil and has been used by the native indians there for 400 years as a tea. I buy mine in granular form and a spoonfull is equivalent to four spoons of sugar. I also buy the raw dryed crushed leaf as a green powder and sprinkle on salads.

Good luck,

ken

donnaj
Sun, Dec-30-01, 18:34
Daisy,
Here is a recipe that I had when I was on atkins before. I hope it helps.

Atkins Bake Mix substitute
Wednesday, 12-Jan-2000 19:08:57
209.5.118.196 writes:

This I got from another site and thought some might like it (those of us in Canada that can't buy it!)

2/3 cup ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder

I have used it and I found it as good as Atkins. It is also cheaper. :wave:

Sharon
Sun, Dec-30-01, 19:06
Here's a link to another thread where we've discussed Atkin Bake Mix, perhaps you'll also find this useful information.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17502

kengib
Tue, Jan-01-02, 21:34
Just saw the Atkins Bake Mix marked down to $8.99 in the latest Atkins catalog. Check with the www.atkinscenter.com web site. It might also be offered there.

ken from Maryland

IslandGirl
Wed, Jan-02-02, 09:56
... right here on this website!

Click on Recipes above in the menu bar, and then on Reader's Recipes, and you will find a recipe or two for "making" Bake Mix, all tested, tried and true.

There's a great deal of discussion on different products and availability in the Local LowCarbing, UK Forum here on this website as well; that should be useful to you.

Enjoy!

daisy
Thu, Jan-03-02, 08:05
Wow- thanks a lot for all that help! Sorry I didn't get back earlier, but I post from work & what with the holidays...!

That looks really simple, Donnaj, & I know I have both those things in my cupboard so maybe I'll try something out tonight! I noticed on Karen's pages the latest cookie recipe involves crushed pork rinds!!! :eek: Sounds gross, but maybe I'll give it a go.

In the UK we're probably about 20 years behind you guys in the US, so we don't have anything like the GNC! If they are owned by a British firm that might change, but for the moment it's very anti-low carb here. The biggest pharmacy chain in the UK refused to sell my boyfriend ketostix when he admitted he wasn't a diabetic! :confused:

Thanks again, everyone, for all of your help! :D

Daisy

:daizy:

donnaj
Thu, Jan-03-02, 18:59
I found that recipe when I was on lo carb last year. I have a wonderful peanut butter cookie recipe that calls for peanut butter,egg, and 1 cup of splenda. I will look it up tomorrow and send it to you. It is wonderful. :wave: :wave:

Jo-Ann 2
Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:16
Hi I'm just on the start of this journey but I saw that there is a peanutbutter cookie recipe. Tell me where to find it please, some girls like chocolate but this girl loves peanutbutter.

donnaj
Thu, Jan-03-02, 20:26
I found this recipe surfing the net. I have made them for my husband who is a diabetic. He :rheart: them. I hope you will to.
1 c. Chunky Peanut Butter (or 8 TBS)
1 c. Bulk Splenda (or 24 packets)
1 lg. egg
Directions:

Mix ingredients.
Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Use a fork to mash cookies into the shape and size you desire.
Bake at 350o for about 10 minutes or until centers are not wet.
Servings: 12

Carbs: <4 per cookie

I dipped my fork into extra spenda for that crystal effect.
:wave: