PDA

View Full Version : How about the SD - the Simple Diet?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

watcher16
Sat, May-14-05, 01:48
The Simple Diet: In general no potatoes, pasta, rice or bread

Allowed: one real sinful reward a day. :yum:
Must be of the type icecream, chips, cake, chocolat etc.in a gratifying amount.

(This 'sin' can later be replaced by a psychological reward, buy a magazine, have some good sex given, watch a movie etc. etc.)

Main principles: simple and fun :)

dina1957
Mon, May-16-05, 11:59
The Simple Diet: In general no potatoes, pasta, rice or bread

Allowed: one real sinful reward a day. :yum:

(This 'sin' can later be replaced by a psychological reward, buy a magazine, have some good sex given, watch a movie etc. etc.)

Main principles: simple and fun :)
I don't think it is a good idea, mostly misleading. Like myself, I love fruit, so I can eat unlimited quantities and gain weight instead of losing, if I am not careful. But I can live without starches, period. What I am saying, is ANY DIET requires tracking: either carbs or fat, whichever plan you prefer. Cutting out starches is a big step but still you have to watch your total carbs intake or you can kiss weight loss goodbuy. I agree with ocational cheats but I don't think regualr sweets are such a good idea. Small amount of lc treats is fine, like dark chocolate or dessert, or some not too sweet fruit.

Rosebud
Mon, May-16-05, 15:53
Allowed: one real sinful reward a day.

Unfortunately for those of us who are addicted to carbs (and I believe that that's the majority of posters on this board ;)), that would simply send us off on a carb eating binge.

The whole point of low carb plans is to stop eating sweet things such as you describe. The sugars in these foods are responsible for many of the health problems we are overcoming since eating low carb.

So, no, I don't think it's a good idea, either. :rolleyes:

Rosebud:rose:

Kristine
Tue, May-17-05, 07:10
Sounds like a great way to raise your kids, or a WOE for someone who doesn't actually have a weight problem and/or wants to avoid insulin resistance, but once you've got it, you have to treat it. It generally takes more restriction than that to heal IR.

KryssiMc
Tue, May-17-05, 08:41
I could NEVER eat like that. I produce way too much insulin in my body and having a meal like that would send my system into sugar overload and then the obvious crash which is exactly what I'm trying to control with low carbing.

So, no thanks...I'll stick to my clean, healthy foods and indulge once in awhile in small amounts.

potatofree
Tue, May-17-05, 09:45
Even when I did CAD, which would technically include a "sinful reward" a day, I felt better and lost faster when I left out the sugar and refined carbs. I realized that just because I COULD get away with it, didn't mean it was a healthy thing to put in my body.

Meow
Tue, May-17-05, 11:25
That would be great if processed carbs and sugar didn't make me sick.

ValerieL
Tue, May-17-05, 11:51
If it works for you, go for it! Write a book, sell a million copies, get rich. More power to you.

Personally, I think it's a little simplistic and totally disregards the concepts behind low-carbing of controlling blood sugar and insulin, but hey, that's just me.

Valerie

watcher16
Tue, May-17-05, 23:26
He guy's, are you telling me you can 'diet' all your life long without have at least one cheat a day?? :nono:

I thought one a day is quite moderate if I see what the common person eats..:cool:

Rosebud
Tue, May-17-05, 23:36
He guy's, are you telling me you can 'diet' all your life long without have at least one cheat a day?? :nono:

I thought one a day is quite moderate if I see what the common person eats..:cool:
Watcher, the point is that if you cheat every day with high carb food, then you are not low carbing.

Rosebud:rose:

ItsTheWooo
Wed, May-18-05, 00:30

One full portion of a "sinful indulgence" each day really isn't moderate if you are trying to lose weight, ESPECIALLY if you are prone to slow metabolism like the majority of those with obesity (inactive, insulin resistant, female, older, etc). Most "sinful indulgences" clock in at a quarter of a person with a slow metabolism's daily calorie needs (300-400).
Now if you're an active young man a sinful indulgence is far less of a problem because you burn so much energy you CAN eat a piece of cake every day, in addition to normal meals, and still lose weight if you watch a little.

When I was losing weight, restricting calories, my metabolism was about 1500-1600. I also was more active than the average person as I tried to walk at least an hour each day and generally avoided conveniences. That's pathetic.

Now that I am maintaining and thus eating more food & burning more calories, my metabolism is more like 1700-1800 I estimate (I seem to be able to eat a great deal of food, 1700+ cals per day I estimate, and only build muscle/maintain/gain energy on it). To maintain I could - and do - indulge in sinful indulgences daily because I can afford to now :).
Today I ate the following in the way of "indulgences":
-half an atkins oatmeal granola bar (120),
-half a slice toast with a tsp pb & low cal jam & a small glass of chocolate milk (100)
-mock bread pudding (an adaptation of mock danish I made up) with stewed blackberries (150)
-a low cal adaptation of lemon pound cake with lemon yogurt dressing and stewed & fresh blackberries (200)
-a half portion of total & atkins cereal and fresh blueberries nuts and fat free milk (150)

So today I ate 720 cals worth of "treat food".

But when I was losing there is no way in heck I could eat like that and expect to lose at a reasonable pace. Especially as I got thin, once I started cutting back the cals to lose more my metabolism would fight it inch by inch by slowing down. I had to restrict to very low levels of cals to see perceptable weekly losses toward the end of it (3 pounds a month). This is pretty normal routine stuff when losing weight - the body will slow metabolism, you don't burn as much, it WANTS to maintain itself and not burn the fat, but you have to force it to by eliminating excess cals.

... and the best places to cut excess cals are sugars and starches as these are nothing but raw refined energy with no nutritional value. They are the first to go.

It's temporary until you want to maintain, I find, then youre metabolism comes back to normal (if you eat healthfully and low carb anyway... I don't know what happens if you eat "normally" with lots of sugar and crap and no protein and whole foods after weight loss... fat gain might be more likely despite normal cal levels). Either way, making A TRUE non-diet dietary indulgence per day manditory - in conjunction with no other limits on what is allowed the rest of the day (other than a perscription to avoid obvious high calorie, low satiety, low satisfaction foods like bread and pasta) - seems like it would impede weight loss for the great many.

Like I said I think this would be a great program for a young man with a mild weight problem, but it won't work for most peole.

Wyvrn
Wed, May-18-05, 01:34
I'd skip the cake and cookies and just have the sex.

Wyv

TheCaveman
Wed, May-18-05, 06:30
Take the gun, leave the cannolis.

Kristine
Wed, May-18-05, 16:48

:lol: Who's 'dieting'? If I want a treat, I whip up some mousse, bake a cheesecake, or make a mug of hot cocoa. Or go to the pub for (LC) beer and chicken wings. That doesn't mean I'll go the rest of my life without eating (insert high-carb junk food here), but I'm certainly not going to make a daily habit out of it. That's what got me in trouble in the first place.

Dodger
Wed, May-18-05, 21:55

I've gone 3 years without a cheat. I don't see any problem with going the rest of my life without a cheat.

ojoj
Thu, May-19-05, 01:47
Allowed: one real sinful reward a day. :yum: [/font]

... and exactly why do you need a reward anyway?? and if you really feel you've done something amazing to have to have one, why does it have to be food?? - bad food??

Jo

watcher16
Thu, May-19-05, 04:40
... and exactly why do you need a reward anyway?? and if you really feel you've done something amazing to have to have one, why does it have to be food?? - bad food??

Jo

A reward is the better choice for implementing new behavior. So what I do is eating quite clean, and accept the 'daily cheat' as a not necessarily LC motivator. Works quite good for me.

The reward has not especially to be bad food, but a Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte or apple pie with cream is for me a luxury reward which I like to take now and then. :wave:

ojoj
Thu, May-19-05, 04:47
My reward??? wearing a bikini, clothes shopping!! To name but two things!

Jo

ojoj
Thu, May-19-05, 04:49
...when I finally have the will power to give up smoking, will I be allowed to have a cigarette as a reward for giving up smoking?? LOL

Jo

Wyvrn
Thu, May-19-05, 10:30
I don't consider "cheating" to be a reward. I consider it to be an unavoidable consequence of not being a hermit in a culture that considers carbs and other junk food to be an acceptable diet. In other words, I "cheat" to be socially acceptable, (Bob would never speak to me again if I didn't eat some of his baked beans) or (much more rarely) because the only other alternative is going hungry, which also raises my insulin level.

Wyv

ojoj
Mon, May-23-05, 01:55
in other words, I "cheat" to be socially acceptable, (Bob would never speak to me again if I didn't eat some of his baked beans)
Wyv

You see these days, I've become much more militant about my way of eating and I would turn that statement on its head "I would never speak to Bob again if he expected me to eat some of his beans"

When you look around and see all the wierd and wonderful ways other people eat nowadays (vegan, veggie, low fat, low cal, coeliacs... etc) Why should my WOE make me a social outcast? why should eating a cake or high carb dessert make me more socially acceptable - the truth is IT DOESNT

sorry - rant over ;)

jo

Wyvrn
Mon, May-23-05, 10:39
ojoj, I hear you on that, and to a great extent I feel the same way. It's a question of picking battles. My point is that I don't "cheat" because I miss the carby stuff, because I don't.

Wyv

cygirl
Mon, May-23-05, 15:30
I cheat because i cannot live without Chinese smorg and potatoe chips :lol:

BJ_1971
Tue, May-24-05, 18:22
I dont see whats wrong with having an occasional high carb treat. i think if a person 100% denies themselves the food they love the most they will go nuts and pig out on that high carb food. to have a bowl of ice cream once a month does not mean to have a semi truck load of ice cream. we must maintain some control. i treat myself to a small dish of ice cream or another high carb treat about once a month just so i wont go nuts.
after all God did give us taste buds for a reason, we just have to use them correctly.

misskimbee
Tue, May-24-05, 19:04
Bottom line is that if we condition ourselves to use High carbohydrate, high sugar, nutritionally-deficient food to be a "reward" we are, in essence, creating a disordered habit.

Which is why i'm fat in the first place. Too many accomplishments, too many rewards for them, and the result is a body more susceptible to illness.

kyrasdad
Tue, May-24-05, 20:50
We had smoked chicken at work today; there were incredible desserts. But there was a huge salad, smoked pork tenderloin, etc. I filled up great on the meat.

I resisted the ice cream pie. It was damn hard. I am guessing that it always will be with me and my evil friend sugar. I see no way for me to lose weight with a daily treat.

Once in a while, possibly. But routinely? No.

ojoj
Wed, May-25-05, 02:18
Bottom line is that if we condition ourselves to use High carbohydrate, high sugar, nutritionally-deficient food to be a "reward" we are, in essence, creating a disordered habit.

Which is why i'm fat in the first place. Too many accomplishments, too many rewards for them, and the result is a body more susceptible to illness.

Agreed :agree: ! Its our society and it starts in infancy, something we parents should watch - "oh well done, have a chocolate/candy bar" or - "cheer up, have some ice cream" I'm sure we've all done it.

Fortunately, I seemed to have changed my own mental reward system and no longer see a big, sugary cake as anything more than something that will make me feel sick and put me back on the road to obesity, nor do I feel I need to be rewarded for anything - The reward should be achieving the goal.

Jo

kimberlyw
Fri, Jun-03-05, 04:09
Heyyyy! I just quit smoking crack! For a whole day!

Who wants to join me for a pipe of hot, fresh reward crack?

Get it?

Opolla
Fri, Jun-03-05, 22:27
Some people can give up refined carbs and eat unrefined ones and even cheat (reward) every now and again and lose a pile of weight, but not me. I can stick to plan and have one cinnamon scone (a big reward) or 2 tablespoons of brown or wild rice (a little reward) and gain 2 pounds and stall for at least a week even if I can control my cravings for carbs. However, once I reach my ideal weight I can be tempted by a very friendly paleo reward such as a fragrant pear (and it doesn't require baking). Even now if someone offered me a choice between any donut and a fragrant pear, it would be the pear hands down. If no fragrant pears are available I can reward myself with paleo friendly macaroons, made with raw honey, eggs and coconut.

KaiNiki
Sun, Jun-05-05, 00:59
Heyyyy! I just quit smoking crack! For a whole day!

Who wants to join me for a pipe of hot, fresh reward crack?

Get it?

This is hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol: and I completely agree!