PDA

View Full Version : Managing real life workouts vs working out

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

diemde
Sat, May-07-05, 05:30
I'm curious to find out how most of you balance doing your workouts vs the exercise you get in doing other real life things. When I get really busy, it's hard for me to get to the gym, but that's not what I'm asking here. I know that's just a matter of making going to the gym a priority. But when the things you do in real life cause a workout, how do you manage that? Do you consider it one of your workouts and tell youself it's ok to skip a workout, or don't you even take it into account? If you don't count it, then how do you deal with letting the muscles rest?

For example, yesterday, it was such a gorgeous day here in Ohio, and I had the day off work, so I went shopping. I was gone the whole day and did a LOT of walking. I also went and bought flowers and mulch, so ended up loading my van up with 10 bags of mulch at the store and then unloaded it when I got home. I intend to pull weeds, plant flowers and spread that mulch this morning.

Last night when I went to bed, I could feel that my legs had a workout. They weren't throbbing, but the muscles were a bit whiny. :lol: And I assume that when I work in the garden this morning that my arms, shoulders, legs and back will get a workout, too. Since I don't garden as much as I used to, I'll probably be a bit sore from doing it.

I actually had to debate myself at 9:30 last night on whether to go to the gym or not. I do both resistance training and hitting the treadmill at the gym, but feel like I'm still new at it (about 2 months of going to the gym now). I decided not to go, but was feeling a bit guilty, like I had let myself down. It was the right decision this time, because my legs are still tired this morning. But, I could see how easy it would be to just keep on doing things in real life and go down the slippery slope of not going to the gym.

Anyway, I'm just curious how you manage when this happens to you.

galatia
Sat, May-07-05, 05:54
Hi :). For me, I "wing it." If I feel like working out after "life's little work-outs" I do-- if I don't-- no big deal. There are times when life gets in the way of weight training/cardio completely-- like the last 2 weeks I've only been able to work-out twice. I don't like it, but it has just been "one of those things." I just figure the muscles got extra rest and should be really ready to go now :). It's sort of like eating-- going on extreme low calorie diets over a period of time are very damaging-- however, a day or two of doing it isn't a problem. Same with weight training-- muscles overworked sometimes, or underworked, as the case may be, just won't make that much difference in the long run. IMO. :)
I love playing in the dirt! I love the smell of it when it's been freshly tilled. And it's so satisfying to see the results of all your hard work once the flowers or vegetables are there. Enjoy the day! :)

jimjayhawk
Sat, May-07-05, 06:24
If I have the time and energy... I consider the "real life" workouts icing on the fitness cake... for instance yesterday I push mowed my yard (2 hrs).... but then did my usual workout later that night... I was especially wiped this morning, but know that the double workout didn't hurt a thing and made a positive contribution to my fitness...

Other times... what the heck... kick back and relax - my problem is that it is too easy to do that and knock myself off of my workout routine

JIM

lilli
Sat, May-07-05, 14:40
Hi :). For me, I "wing it." If I feel like working out after "life's little work-outs" I do-- if I don't-- no big deal. There are times when life gets in the way of weight training/cardio completely-- like the last 2 weeks I've only been able to work-out twice. I don't like it, but it has just been "one of those things." I just figure the muscles got extra rest and should be really ready to go now :). It's sort of like eating-- going on extreme low calorie diets over a period of time are very damaging-- however, a day or two of doing it isn't a problem. Same with weight training-- muscles overworked sometimes, or underworked, as the case may be, just won't make that much difference in the long run. IMO. :)

Amen to that.

diemde
Sat, May-07-05, 20:27
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I was feeling guilty, when maybe I shouldn't be. After all, any physical movement is good - it doesn't have to come wrapped in a gym package. :lol:

Esther Wil
Sat, May-07-05, 23:25
Exercise is exercise, whatever your reason for doing it!

For myself, I usually 'work out' most days, and on days I'm doing 'real work' (like gardening, building or whatever) I try to do some yoga/pilates/yogalates in the evening to help keep my body strong, supple and balanced enough to keep working at whatever I want to do the next day.

hannainnc
Mon, May-09-05, 07:59
I never count exercise that I get as a result of daily life as my "workout". I have to actually get a workout where I set time out to either do cardio or lift weights. This works for me.