PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Crockpot question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

alto
Sun, Nov-04-01, 11:15
And a very stupid one. I'm a lapsed cook.

I've got a chuck roast that looked sufficiently fatty in the crockpot right now. I made this before once, a few years ago -- just turn it on high, and put a powdered soup mix on top of it (I'm using Lipton's Leek), and turn it down after about an hour. It was delicious and very juicy.

My problem is that, after 2 hours, there is less than a teaspoon of juice. My memory is that the book that came with the crockpot said "whatever you do, don't add water." Is this true? My instinct is to add water or broth, but I don't want it to disintegrate.

Thank you!!!!!

gpop529
Tue, Nov-06-01, 18:58
was the lid on during cooking or off?
Try adding a little red wine, or chicken stock, or water but 1/4 -1/2 of a cup.

alto
Tue, Nov-06-01, 19:11
Thanks, Terri! The lid was on all the time.

I did add about 1/2 cup water -- I didn't have any broth or wine. (Common sense trumps instructions, in my book.) It turned out OK, though. Getting more tender every day :)

gpop529
Tue, Nov-06-01, 19:23
Does this mean it still cooking?
your welcome :D

alto
Tue, Nov-06-01, 20:04
LOL! No, it's chilling out in the fridge :)

Kirkwood
Wed, Nov-07-01, 15:42
I don' t know what I'd do without my crock pot. Yesterday, I stuck in a pork roast w/ unsweetened sauerkraut. It was great, but next time, I think I'm going to add a bit of splenda to it. You should have seen the sour faces we were making over dinner!
:eek:

alto
Wed, Nov-07-01, 16:19
Yech! Splendakraut!

I hope to make the acquaintance of my crockpot again -- I haven't cooked in several years. I'm thinking of doing a pork tenderloin next, Kirkwood -- but I'll skip the kraut :)

Victoria
Thu, Nov-15-01, 09:34
Alto,
I love my crockpot. Especially in the summer when you don't want the house to heat up from using the oven. I use it all the time to cook a whole chicken. I just wing it, no recipes. Sometimes I squeeze a lemon over it, but most the time I brush a mixture of olive oil, paprika, and salt on it. And then add a little water, maybe a half a cup. Turn it on and come back at dinner time. The meat pulls away so easily and is so tender and not at all dry! All I have to do at dinner time is make rice for the kids and a BIG salad. It's quite a time saver. :D Victoria

aim1616
Fri, Feb-22-02, 17:12
I threw (not literally :p ) a corned beef brisket into the crock pot and covered it in water (like the directions said) should I have just put in 1/2 to 1 cup of water??? I'd like to do it the right way next time, if so.

Thanks,

Amy