PDA

View Full Version : Massive Heart Attack Back To Life

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jefck
Mon, Apr-25-05, 11:08
My name is Jeff I have been on lc for 10 years. I have been following Dr Lutz
Life without Bread. The best and easiest plan to follow. I was not on this for weight loss, but because it sounded so correct. I am 52 5 11 145lbs
On 9-11-04 I suffered a massive heart attack and died on the table while the docs were trying to put a stent in me to get some blood into my heart. They finally did and revived me. I had 100% blockage to the heart and the Dr. was amazed I was alive. 2 days later I went through 5 bypass surgeries and needless to say this was extremely difficult. Other then minor aches and pains 2 bouts of pneumonia 2 more hospital stays I am finally getting my life back. I am back to work full time and my life is getting back to normal. My Dr. said this was caused by genetics as my cholesterol was 205 before I had the heart attack and everything else was normal. I am on medication and now my cholesterol is 132. Talk about being messed up with eating, I have tried the american heart association diet, but keep going back to my life without bread. So to finally put my mind to rest I have a compromise. I read recently in the Chicago Tribune about the palieo diet from loren Cordain, and decided to compromise my feelings about low carb high fat and my condition, I would go on this.. This is a moderate fat high protein all the fruits and vegetables you can eat. I enjoy it and I feel good eating this way plus it opens up what I can eat, ie fruit for lunch since I am a commodity futures trader in Chicago, I rarely have time to eat lunch, but know I can have some fruit and nuts. I have always had stomach problems as I am 100% lactose intolerent and eating low carb really helps. The best thing to do is skip the grains and potatoes and milk Eat protein no skin on chicken lots of veggies and fruit. I cheat at times I also love a good cookie. But if you fall off the band wagon just get back on the next meal
Good Luck to all I will be back

Jeff

Cara73
Mon, Apr-25-05, 16:19
Hello and welcome Jeff,

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about all of the trouble you've had with your health. But glad you made it through ok :D It sounds like you're on the right track now. That's great. I'm glad you enjoy the foods you're eating, as that sure makes it easier to make it a way of life instead of a diet.

Best of luck to you, and best of health!!!

bellybuton
Mon, Apr-25-05, 21:59
I love a good cookie too. And a good brownie. And a good gooey dounut. And a good piece of pie. And a good danish.............I'll shut up now. :D

Wow! You sure have been thru the ringer Jeff. So glad to hear that you overcame so much. Glad to see you on the right track.

Welcome to the forums and best of everything to you.

jefck
Tue, Apr-26-05, 07:11
thank you all for your words of encouragement. keep up the good work on your lc eating. Never look at it like a diet, but a way of eating. I wish everyone would read Life without Bread Dr. Lutz. The best and simpliest book on understanding and implementing lc
Thanks again
Jeff

suzzee2003
Tue, Apr-26-05, 13:56
jefck, WELCOME and So glad to have you!!!!! You've been through alot, so glad you are doing well now! I read Life without bread too and I love that book! GOOD LUCK to a new you!

jefck
Wed, Apr-27-05, 07:05
Thanks for the kind words. there is another book I am sending for it is called Diet Truth Revealed by Dr. jan Mcbride MD
What most people are not realizing is that lc is very easy. Cut the carbs to less then 100 per day, eat anything you want as long as the carbs stay below 100g per day. DO NOT USE LOW CARB MAN MADE FOOD THAT has hit the shelves in the last couple of years. This stuff is garbage and if you think that these new artificial sugar alcohols are any good and let you cheat you're crazy. Use real food even potatoes and grains and cereals as long as you keep it under 100g per day. No artificial products that say net carbs.. The only time you should use net carbs is to deduct fiber from the total carbs. Example vegetable 15 carbs minus 5 fiber equals total carbs of 10 so you would count that as 10. These sugar alcohols only mess up your stomach. Its that simple. If you are really having a hard time losing on 100 g cut to 70 but no lower. you will lose believe me. You will also feel great.

bellybuton
Wed, Apr-27-05, 07:10
I agree 100%. I never did induction...I never counted my carbs really. I just stopped eating the crap. Wise words. :)