PDA

View Full Version : grrl in the gym

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

grrlpwer
Wed, Oct-31-01, 01:39
Today was the first day of my new WOL and my new WOE :)

i'm very outta shape and i'm starting slow today i went for a walk in the neighborhood i live in. i walked around the neighborhood twice and then got in my car to see how far that was and it was a little over 2 miles. so everyday i'm gonna walk the 2 miles in the morning and do my weights at night.Wish me luck :D

grrlpwer
Wed, Oct-31-01, 18:13
this morning on an empty tummy i road the stationary bike for 2.5 miles in 20 minutes and came home and did 3 sets of 20 crunches

then this evening i walked 2 miles and seen nat's web site about t-tapp and i did the three exercises 8 times..

for a girl that doesnt exercise i'm sure tomorrow i'm gonna be sore sore but i'm determine to get up and go to the gym and ride the bike all over again and walk and do the crunches...(Nat if you see this i would love to learn how to do side crunches and reverse crunches) and i'm gonna keep doing the t-tapp as like a cool down i really loved it :D

Trainerdan
Wed, Oct-31-01, 18:54
Good going grrrl! Keep up the good work ... it gets addicting after a while.

grrlpwer
Thu, Nov-01-01, 08:02
I woke up this morning and was gonna go to my gym at 630am..well,to my suprise i found out it doesnt open till 9am..that is way to late for me to eat so i decided to do the 3 exercises from t-tapp and then to 3 sets of 20 crunches,and side crunches..my question is if i get up every morning and do that then i eat breakfast and then around noon i go and ride the bike am i burn as much fat and is it okay to do that?

might i add i'm very very very sore today :D

and Nat omg them side crunches girl WOW i can feel them already..lol

Thanks for all the help everyone ;)

Natrushka
Thu, Nov-01-01, 08:17
Originally posted by grrlpwer
Nat if you see this i would love to learn how to do side crunches and reverse crunches

Grrl, this is the site I first used when starting the Ab work:

http://www.fatlosstips.com/abs.html

Reverse and regular are here. I pulled the side ones off the net as well, but must have them booked at home (the perils of 3 computers ;))

Grrl, it's a good idea to rest your muscles for at least 48 hours between workouts. They need time to recover. Try doing the abs one day then move to lower body or arms the next. Take two days off between each group.

Have you taken a peak at the A.M. Cardio on Empty Stomach (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21258) thread yet? If not give it a look, chock full of great information on when to workout and the benefits of each. You'll burn more if you workout on an empty stomach first thing in the morning; but you'll also burn if you do cardio AFTER you've done the resitance work. Doing anything though is better than nothing ;)

Good attitude, btw. that goes a long way too
Nat

grrlpwer
Fri, Nov-02-01, 09:39
went to bed at 1am and up at 7am feeling great today :D

i went for a 2 mile walk on and empty belly and felt wonderful when i came home.
so i did 3 sets of 20 crunchs and some tummy stuff from t-tapp..i love how she teachs you to put your internal organs back where they need to be from when they all go south...and at 32 here they done went south...lol

i'll be back later and tell you about my evening stuff

Nat,wow i read about am cardio on an empty belly and i'm gonna go for a walk and do crunches every morning...Thank You so much. :wave:

Natrushka
Fri, Nov-02-01, 09:49
Wow, Grrl, such energy!

I remember laughing at the "organs in place" description and the video clip, kinda freaky. the Frog one was strange too. I have tried them, and use them prior to doing crunches and "awesome legs" in my own way; I think they help keep my spine straight and tight to the floor. Have you tried awesome legs? Talk about working the legs and abs!! ouchies. ;)

Keep with the great 'tude,
Nat

grrlpwer
Fri, Nov-02-01, 20:27
Nat,..not only did i try the awesome legs but i love it...i was doing them slow and i seen her doing them fast and i love it...but wow you want to talk about sore...i'm sore today,...but i'm ready to do it again tomorrow.

well i went for another 2 mile walk tonight and when i got home i used my 3 lb weights and did several arm exercises 20 x's each.

ohhh i almost forgot Nat i tried that frog...thats freaky...lol :rolleyes:

fern2340
Sat, Nov-03-01, 06:49
Grrl-
Congrats on deciding to start working out. You have such a great attitude about it and I think when you have a good 'tude about it, it is much easier to get your exercising done!!

You're doing GREAT!
Linda

grrlpwer
Sat, Nov-03-01, 18:32
Hi Fern,..i didnt know your name was linda thats my name too :D

at 630 this morning i went for a one mile walk came home and did 2 sets of 20 crunch and side crunchs and some tummy toning exercises

mid day i did 2 set of 20 crunchs and side crunchs and 5 different leg exercises 10 times each from t-tapp(that women loves to make you burn) :mad:

and just now i went for another one mile walk this time i went slow and took my dog with me we had a great time :) Shes gonna make a great walking partner at night...because at night i just kinda go at my own slow pace but in the morning watch out i'm in a hurry burning calories :spin:

i'm on my way to the store to buy me some new walking shoes.
Have a great weekend everyone :wave:

grrlpwer
Sun, Nov-04-01, 18:33
okay its TOM time and getting up this morning and going on my one mile walk was some what of a struggle but i did it :D and when i got home i did 5 sets of 10 of the follow and all on an empty tummy!!!
side to chest (all with a 5 lb weight in each hand)
straight out to the side for a 10 seconds
side to shoulder
side(palm up) to shoulder
side (palm down)to shoulder
side to back(wow this one hurt) i seen it on t-tapp and i added weights to it

before dinner i went on another one mile walk...i love my evening walks..but today was a struggle i hate TOM :mad:

grrlpwer
Mon, Nov-05-01, 18:47
I woke up and it was raining so i didnt go on my morning walk instead i went back to bed then got up later and did my t tapp leg workouts and walked in place for 30 minutes to some 80's music :D

then around lunch time i did 2 sets of 20 crunchs and side crunchs and my t tapp organ alignment..lol...

then before dinner i went on a mile walk and had a great time :wave:

Natrushka
Mon, Nov-05-01, 20:46
Grrl, I read your post about leg cramps.. are you taking any magnesium? It seriously helps with cramps. A good link:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4633

Nat

grrlpwer
Mon, Nov-05-01, 21:01
hey Nat,..I take about 400mg a day maybe i need more?but the leg cramps really were only my first 2 days..now i'm doing good...well awesome legs workout makes them sore the next day...lol... :roll:

Natrushka
Tue, Nov-06-01, 09:10
Nope 400 mg should do it. I misunderstood, thought you were still experiencing them :)

Nat

grrlpwer
Tue, Nov-06-01, 18:11
Nat,..your so kind to look after me :)

well i walked 2 miles this morning on an empty belly
i did 2 sets of 20 crunchs and side crunchs

and this evening i did my arms...3 sets of 10 of 5 different exercises for my arms

and i skipped my evening walk and helped my husband mow grass and weed eat and trim hedges

:daze:

grrlpwer
Wed, Nov-07-01, 18:48
this morning i did 30 minutes of leg exercises anc crunchs on and empty stomach and this afternoon i did 100 crunchs and before dinner i walked 2miles...i feel good today :D

grrlpwer
Thu, Nov-08-01, 19:15
No workout today at all i took the day off i've been walking and weights for 11 days straight...am i suppose to do it everyday cuz wow i'm sore today...HELP :daze:

grrlpwer
Fri, Nov-09-01, 21:35
30 minutes of workout video
30 minutes of crunchs and side crunchs
empty belly of course...Miss Nat taught me that..lol

this after noon i did my arms

i did 3 set of 10 of all the arm exercise's i knew...does anyone know a good site i can go to for arm and leg exercises

and a 1 mile walk before dinner

i bet i sleep good tonight...lmbo :wave:

grrlpwer
Sat, Nov-10-01, 11:12
No workout today....maybe just an evening walk...I let my potassium go to low and i was a sick girl last night :(

grrlpwer
Mon, Nov-12-01, 12:59
No working out the next couple of days...Dr orders since getting out of the hospital.....Everyone have fun exercising :D

grrlpwer
Wed, Nov-14-01, 23:53
went for a 1 mile walk...slow but i did good...didnt need to use my inaler but took it just incase....tomorrow i'm gonna try to do more...i'm feeling tons better :D

grrlpwer
Thu, Nov-15-01, 17:45
Well,...I got up this morning and on an empty stomach i did a 30 minute video of stretching and ab workout....i'm finally feeling human again :D

then this evening i watched my tae bo tapes...didnt really do them just watched...friday i'm going to the gym to do it there....get some one on one training before i do the tapes...i'm very excited :thup:

tomorrow i'm gonna go back to my weight training....Nat thank you for the BFL site...i'm gonna go some of the workouts from it...i'm not ready for the challenge but i do like the workouts they have....

Everyone have a wonderful LC day.... :wave:

grrlpwer
Fri, Nov-16-01, 22:23
i'm kinda tired tonight so this will be a short one....lol

i went to the gym tonight for my first tae bo class...i really enjoyed it...it was about an hour long and about 45 minutes of that was really learning all the basic moves and safety tips...and then about 15 minutes of tae bo workout...with some killer music..i really had a great time there were a few people there that were low carbers so we had alot to talk about...i'm going to do tae bo at the gym 3 days a weeek for a couple of months before i do any of the tapes at home...
While at the gym they also showed me some of the machines and free weights and all but i'm really not ready for all that yet...but give me a couple weeks and i'll be tae boing and kicking but on machines...lol

btw 2 more pounds gone...i'm so excited :cheer:

firespirit
Sat, Nov-17-01, 12:00
Linda,

I've been checking on you in your journal and now here in your gym log--You are doing so well, girl...keep up the good work :)

It helps me to read about what other people are doing to exercise, because it seems like it is one of the hardest things for me to do.

Keep moving and encouraging!

Your signature quote is about how glad you are to have found this place and the people here....Well, we're sure glad to have found you too :rheart:

grrlpwer
Tue, Nov-20-01, 14:52
have been so busy with Turkey day i havent had time to exercise alot....but today me and my step daughter are going to do the 8minute tae bo workout.......have a good one :wave:

grrlpwer
Tue, Nov-20-01, 18:27
omg the 8 minute Tae Bo workout just kicked my butt...lol...i thought i was gonna die but i made it :D

grrlpwer
Sat, Nov-24-01, 05:21
1 mile walk....1/2 mile jog.........1/2 mile walk....feel great i might do tae bo tonight....i'm gonna buy more weights and protein shakes today.....and the bfl book,......and new cd player for my walks/jogs :wave:

grrlpwer
Sun, Nov-25-01, 20:13
2 mile walk....and 30 minute tae bo......on empty belly before breakfast

2 mile walk before dinner

long day...i've been doing winter cleaning and getting all the winter stuff outta the attic :rolleyes:

grrlpwer
Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:46
2 mile walk and 30 Tae Bo tape on an empty belly and Tonight i'm on my way to VEGAS....so i'm sure i will do tons of walking there. :wave:

grrlpwer
Sun, Dec-02-01, 07:34
2 mile walk and 8 minute tae bo workout...wow that tried to kick my but butt i wouldnt let it...lol all on an empty belly now i'm gonna body brush and shower...have a great day everyone :wave:

grrlpwer
Mon, Dec-03-01, 06:53
3 mile walk and 30 minutes of weights and now my legs are shaking so i'm gonna go drink me a shake...tonight i'm gonna go to my Tae bo class at the gym wow i bet i sleep great tonight..lol

HAVE A GREAT DAY :wave:

grrlpwer
Mon, Dec-03-01, 23:42
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh i had a great time at TaeBo tonight...so many nice people there and the one on one help is awesome :) We did a full hour of TaeBo tonight and it was mid intensity and the trainer said i'm doing great :D tomorrow i bet i'm sore but tomorrow i do just weights...i have it down to where i do weights one day and cardio the next...and its working good for me :thup: Well everyone have a great night and i'll see yall tomorrow :wave:

grrlpwer
Tue, Dec-04-01, 06:01
2mile walk.....couldnt sleep...gonna go do my brushing and hit the shower and wrap some christmas presents.. :)

grrlpwer
Wed, Dec-05-01, 07:12
30 minute weight training and 45 minutes yoga tape(way that is gonna hurt) all on an empty belly

grrlpwer
Thu, Dec-06-01, 13:31
well me and my son are gonna start BFL in january so today we tried to do some of the BFL workout for the first time...first i did the 30 Tae Bo tape then we did the ab boot camp .wow am i gonna be sore tomorrow :D i'm already feeling the burn in my belly...my stomach is my worst area i carry all my weight there...i have nice legs and nice arms but omg my stomach is like a mountain of super jelly so this ab boot camp is exactly what i need :) i'm going to measure tomorrow and then i'm going not going to measure for another two weeks and i bet i will see a world of difference.

BYE BYE BELLY :wave:

grrlpwer
Sat, Dec-08-01, 12:13
Well i was up at 6am and it was cold outside but i still wantted to go for my daily walk....so off i go in my new sweat suit size XL instead of the XXL i always have to get :D i was gone about 1 1/2 miles when out of no where it started to pour and if anyone says short white women cant run well let me tell you...i was running for 1/2 mile and you know what....it was GREAT :D :D :D :D I feel great today...thank God :) Well tonight i'm not going to do my evening workout because the ol hubby is taking me out dancing..and i'm sure i will get a good workout there :D :D

grrlpwer
Sun, Dec-09-01, 07:30
3 mile walk(omg what got into me...lol) a quick pace
ab bootcamp(i'm gonna be sore tomorrow)
all on an empty belly
now i'm hungry.... :D

Natrushka
Sun, Dec-09-01, 12:29
Originally posted by grrlpwer
ab bootcamp(i'm gonna be sore tomorrow)

Good for you, Linda!

Some extra stretching throughout the day and some glutamine will do wonders for the pain. Don't be afraid to take an advil or tylenol either.

:thup:
Nat

grrlpwer
Tue, Dec-11-01, 08:35
8 minute tae bo tape(i love this tape it is awesome and a great workout) and i did the ab boot camp......i'm still sore from day one and love it :D

grrlpwer
Wed, Dec-12-01, 05:49
well its 545am and i'm already up and i've walked 2 miles and did my 8 minute Tae bo tape and i did my ab boot camp and i'm about to head to the shower....seems like its gonna be a great day :D

grrlpwer
Thu, Dec-13-01, 06:28
well i feel yucky today...so i did a 3 mile walk...not a fast pace nothing to get eccited about...lol and i'm off to do my brushing and hot shower and might lady down for a nap :(

missydog
Thu, Dec-13-01, 13:21
Hey Grrl,

Love your new picture. You look like a really nice person. Have you started BFL yet?

Missydog

grrlpwer
Fri, Dec-14-01, 06:46
walked 3 miles fast,did Ab bootcamp, and did some leg workouts...I'm going today to buy me some glutamine :D and some more vitamin c and e i'm out :wave:

grrlpwer
Sat, Dec-15-01, 05:36
taking the day off of exercise...letting my muscle heal some :)

grrlpwer
Sun, Dec-16-01, 19:05
I pushed myself today to see how far i can walk...i walked almost five miles...and then i came home and did the ab bootcamp and then brushed shower and went and had a great day with my son and husband :D

bsayne
Sun, Dec-16-01, 20:05
OMG that is great! You must be feeling better and I'm glad to see that! WTG Girl you are unstoppable!

Keep it up were right on track for January!

Beth

grrlpwer
Mon, Dec-17-01, 07:01
well i walked 2 miles this morning and no ab bootcamp today and i'm going to lift weights tonight...today i am going to come up with a routine and i will be back to post later...

from now on it will go like this......lol

mon-wed-friday = am cardio,ab boot camp evening weight lifting

tues-thursday-sunday= small cardio before evening leg weight training.

saturdays OFF my day :D

grrlpwer
Mon, Dec-17-01, 17:03
well after i did my first entry i did my ab bootcamp and then at 3pm i did my weight lifting and had a great time....but my arms are still shaking and after that i had a protein shake :D

Trainerdan
Mon, Dec-17-01, 18:15
The new schedule looks like a winner. Keep us posted on how things go ...

"The shakes" from a good workout ... good stuff. Definately a call to replenish your muscles and give them nutrients that they need to repair and grow ... Good stuff!

doreen T
Mon, Dec-17-01, 23:00
Wow, yer doing really great :thup:

5 miles is a great walk! Woo hooo :eek: ... 5 mi = 8 km. Furthest I've been able to go is 6 km ... so far.

Keep it up, you're an inspiration!

Doreen

grrlpwer
Wed, Dec-19-01, 08:11
Well i'm down four pounds...and feeling great

up at 530am and did my 30 minute cardio(30 minute yoga tape),the weight training on upper body then ab bootcamp...very shaky and then i drank a protein drink with raspberries in it and then i brushed and took a very hot shower....feel great today...tonight my friend Suann is coming over and were going to do a belly dancing tape with each other...i'm very excited... :D

lisaf
Wed, Dec-19-01, 10:45
:sunny:

A whooshhhhhh! Oh happy day...congrats grrl, you are a great inspiration...keep truckin'!

Lisa

grrlpwer
Wed, Dec-19-01, 22:03
Thank you lisa :)

Well me and my friend did a belly dancing tape and omg it was really fun....i might try it again ...it wasnt easy either...

grrlpwer
Thu, Dec-20-01, 17:43
20 minute tae bo,...and lower body weight training,and ab bootcamp and then a protein shake with strawberries in it :D

grrlpwer
Fri, Dec-21-01, 12:15
yoga strectch and workout then upper body weight training,...arms were shaky today afterwards,...did my ab bootcamp....tummy hurt afterwards cuz its that time of the month :mad: drank a strawberry protein shake with cut up strawberries in it and added yougart to it and 1 tbs of flax oil....it was pretty good....used tonights of ice.....got a new blender for christmas and it has built in recipes and i can add recipes to it...i love it....

the home gym is coming along great...mirrors are up walls painted and carpet down....next comes the bathroom up there...i'm excited :D

grrlpwer
Sat, Dec-22-01, 09:51
up early today,....husband has the plumber friend here working up stairs in the attic on the workout room....and i'm ordering the new Tae Bo set...and 3 of the ladys here in the community i live in are going to start Tae Bo'ing with me 3 times a week so i thought i would get some new tapes...i'm also ordering a couple new yoga tapes off ebay....Monday the bowflex will be here...of course my husband wont set it up till after the new year cuz the workout room wont be done till then....we decided yesterday to put a hot tub in the workout room see i think my husband had this workout room and hot tub planned when we built this house less then a year ago cuz the plumber man told us yesterday that there was enough supports in the attic for it...and he also said that was strange and then my hubby said ohhhhhh well i figured she would have a workout room up there when we built the house....but ummmmmmmmmmmmm i wasnt even exercising or low carbing then......hmmmmmmm :exclm: i have to take a moment and act like arseno hall and say thats one of those things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D I'm sure when its done i will take tons of picture for everyone..
the media room is ready for tomorrow....well tonight me and my hubby are gonna go rent bounce and watch it i've never seen it before...you know we have to test out the equipment my hubby said...lol......well i'll be back later after my evening workout... :wave:

bsayne
Sat, Dec-22-01, 18:44
Way to plan ahead...and adding even more support I really like that idea. The belly dancing sounds so fun! Was it a commercial tape? I got afew new yoga DVD's and 1 circuit trainging it was good but 6 cycles seemed a bit much...I like BFL 3 cycles and a higher reach! Seems like it gets more done in less time...I did it on stationery bike at the gym and whoa!! I could really feel the difference.

I put the power blocks stand together finally and can use them much easier now...need to plan my workouts the new year will be here b4 long!

Take care!
Beth

Trainerdan
Sun, Dec-23-01, 05:32
grrrl, I have to admit that I am jealuos.

My dream is to have my own house with a workout room in the basement, with mirrors and a few key pieces of gym-grade machines (smith machine, power rack, and a cable crossover machine), a Lifefitness crosstrainer, a Nautilus skating simulator (ever seen one of these? I used to work out a a YMCA that had one and it was GREAT!!), and of course, a large selection of dumbbells and weight plates.

The hottub sounds wonderful ... You definately have to post pictures when all is done ...

Bsayne ... How do you like the powerblocks? I like the idea of 5 lbs - 85 lbs all in one tight little package, but I was wondering how cumbersome it was using a "dumbbell" that is shaped like a shoebox. Does it affect movement during the exercises at all? I have been thinking about getting them ever since they forst came out like 2 years ago, but their shape always help me up.

grrlpwer
Tue, Dec-25-01, 06:08
up early cooking for today and went for a 3 mile walk...felt great was nice and cool outside,...did ab bootcamp and hit the shower and i'm ready to finish cooking ;)

grrlpwer
Wed, Dec-26-01, 15:03
one mile walk,upper body weight training,...ab bootcamp,..brushing and hot shower.....arms very rubber today after workout.... :D but feel great

doreen T
Wed, Dec-26-01, 21:33
hi Linda,

It won't be long till those rubber arms turn into bands of steel ;)

Keep up the good work, but remember to enjoy yer holiday too. You deserve it!!

Doreen

grrlpwer
Thu, Dec-27-01, 16:12
doreen i love the new picture honey..you look so great :D

30 minute Tae Bo tape,....lower body weight training
tummy kinda messed up today :mad: i think my flax oil went bad... :mad: i must get more tomorrow :wave:

grrlpwer
Sat, Dec-29-01, 11:50
8 minute tae bo tape,...upper body workout....ab bootcamp...then i tried out the new bowflex for about 10 minutes....i love it

bsayne
Tue, Jan-01-02, 01:59
Just popped in to the Gym to say Hey there buddy! I know you are still on that darn bo-flex machine...but don't forget to come down from the hot tub long enough to say howdy to your LC buddies!

Wishing us all the best of BFL in the new year...I'm still shooting for it!

Beth

grrlpwer
Wed, Jan-02-02, 22:33
I'm sick with a cold but i still did an hour on the bowflex i'm adicted...lol

bsayne
Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:50
Your dear HB is going to have to bar the attic door!

Are your endorphines helping your cold? I sure hope so! Hows the soup? Take it easy now GRRL!! Don't make me come out there!

You are just unstoppable! Hows the shakes coming? Or are you not eating again! I did one this am with a cinnamon flax oil...a little goes a long way I found out the hard way...yours went BAD?? Was it in the fridge? I was a little queasy after the shake I guess it takes a while for your bod to adjust to the protein and oil...etc. Didn't taste bad though...but I was hungrier than usually from the fruit? Maybe?

I miss ya still...please get better soon!

Beth

grrlpwer
Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:32
i'm adicted to the bowflex...its the best machine i've ever been on before...i just love it...i should have got one years ago....but i'm on my way to louisianna my grandmother is deathly ill....i'll post from there in a couple of days on the lap top....love yall....

fern2340
Sun, Jan-06-02, 18:13
So sorry to hear about your grandmonther. Just wanted to let you know my prayers are with you.

Take care!
Linda

missydog
Wed, Jan-09-02, 19:15
Hey Grrl,

I've been following your journal and you're really doing great! I have a question for you, though...what is this brushing thing you keep talking about? (sorry for being a dunce).

Missydog

grrlpwer
Mon, Jan-14-02, 20:03
3 mile walk before breakfast

45 minute workout on the bowflex...and wow i'm sore i got to get back into my routine

brushing is from www.ttapp.com its really kewl you should read about it i just love it and i can tell my legs look so much better

bsayne
Mon, Jan-14-02, 20:08
Alright Super Grrl! I am so glad to see you typing and working out again...slow in now...yea right like you can slow in! LOL!!

Getting your strength back is a process not a one day event! Yada yada yada, WELCOME BACK!

Boy I sure did miss ya!

Take care hon,

Beth