PDA

View Full Version : LC Lifestyler Want-a-be

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

oldtoon
Mon, Apr-04-05, 10:29
Howdy All...

Just a LC interested starter. I have done a clinical LC program that did work, but the cost (dollars) and low energy level without a focus on exercise made it expensive and impractical for me. I worked a job on an overnight shift that totally messed up my sleeping habits for a year and 1/2 that was killing me slowly. I managed to put on about 50 lbs, and felt hirable. I have a daytime job now and feel so much better. I am trying to find a sane LC lifestyle not just a diet. I have purchased several LC cook books trying to find alternative eating options that fit into my lifestyle. My biggest problem is that the recipes that I have are real expensive, have long prep times, and don't keep well. I don't know if there are a lot of people like me that need quick easy inexpensive! meal alternatives? And exercise I feel is very very important. I am just riding an exercise bike that is part of a fitness center that is located at the apt complex that I live at. I do admit however that it can be difficult to go the 4 times a week that I want to (no excuses) I average 2 to 3 right now and am trying to make it a priority. I do a lot of things that seem to work well for me. I make my own "Protein Drink" using whey protein, powered milk and such. I buy meat products on sale bake up a bunch cut it up for salads and cooking then freeze it. If anyone has some advice or is in a similar situation I would love to here from ya. Any brown bag lunch options would be great seems to be a sticking point for me right now. Take care and good luck...

TIA,

Oldtoon.... :wave:

Bat Spit
Mon, Apr-04-05, 14:07
Welcome Oldtoon!

You don't specifically list which books you've read. IMO the best book for hard science and a lifeplan is Life without bread[/b]. That's what I plan on useing for my maintenance lifestyle when I get there.

As far as quick and easy meals, my favorite cook book is Dana Carpenders [i]15 min low carb meals, or something like that. They aren't fussy, and I've really been able to make everything I've tried in 15-20 mins.

Also, if you don't have a crock pot/slow cooker, I recommend that investment. That makes it easy to stick a bunch of meat in with some broth, wine, salsa, whatever you like, cook it all at once while doing something else, and have a stash of already cooked meat to adorn green salads or to make mayo salads out of.

You'll find a ton of really amazing help here, and the people are always friendly.