PDA

View Full Version : Here I Go

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ladybug05
Wed, Mar-30-05, 16:23
Hi am only 17 years old, but I weigh 190 pounds. Two years ago I weighed 110. But my mom made me get on birth control and it made me gain 80 pounds all together. I got off of it of course. I am big boned so I know I will never get to that size again. But my goal is 130. I haven't started a weight loss plan yet. And thats why I am here cause I need help. There are alot of diet plans out there, but I just can't afford it. And I dont live with my parents anymore, so they dont care to help. Can someone here help me.

Thank you & good luck everyone
Krystal

locarbbarb
Wed, Mar-30-05, 17:40
Hi Krystal:

Gee, you've been through a lot... and you are still going strong - so good for you :clap:

You have definitely come to the right place to find diet advice! Most people here seem to be following Atkins. I follow the Rosedale Diet, which is very similar, but with an emphasis on the "good fats" as opposed to saturated fats. There is a section on other diets here, as well, that you could check out.

And speaking of checking out, you might like to visit your local library. I'm sure they'll have a section of diet books that explain every diet out there. And they're free to read!

Whichever plan you choose, I wish you the best and much success.

Keep coming back to this place. I found it just last Friday, and I feel like I'm addicted! I spend every free minute here. There are so many nice people willing to share their stories and information. I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

You can write to me by clicking on the journal tab at the bottom of the page, if you like.

P.S. If you mean the foods are too expensive, with careful planning you will do OK. Tofu, even if it is an acquired taste, is very high in protein and low carb, and much cheaper than meat. Also Black Soy beans are low carb (not black beans). Really, healthy food can be purchased for what unhealthy food can. I know you will find a way!

locarbbarb
Wed, Mar-30-05, 22:48
Dear Krystal,

Read the posts here at this site, and set up a journal so I can write to you personally. Just go to Journals/Bootcamp and click on New Thread. Whatever you title it will be the name of your journal.

For now I will say that where there is a will there is a way. You are very young, but not too young to take a few small steps in the right direction for your life. I and the people here will give you support, and you will be strong, too.

I also had the idea that perhaps you could also babysit another child, too. That would keep you busier, and take your mind off food. And the extra money will help with the food bill. The low-carb plan will help diminish your appetite in a week or so.

Can you get out for a walk during the day? It makes a world of difference to get out in nature and enjoy the fresh air every day.

I know it is hard. Life is not easy, but we all have to go through it, so thank goodness we have each other to share it with!

You can if you think you can! And I know you can!
Every day is a new beginning. Do your best and you will not fail.

Have a great day tomorrow. And stick with it. It works!

Roma-girl
Fri, Apr-01-05, 06:06
Hi, Krystal,

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I started doing Atkins straight from the website: atkins.com, where there is a food list, that you can choose from, and only afterwards bought the book.

I have been doing LC since Feb 9/'05 and it took me about three weeks to 'get with the program'. I don't (can't) buy any of the Atkins Products, so I eat only 'real' food.

I have lost 13.2 lbs altogether and that's of course just the beginning! :lol:

Anyway, I wish you very good luck on your LC-journey!

bluesfan88
Fri, Apr-01-05, 09:50
hello welcome to the forum .

start a journal, it is the best place to write down your thought and get support.

I am 16 and if you would like to talk stop by my journal , or stop by the teen and student section. both of these places are great .
I look foreward to seeing you around.

tibet
Fri, Apr-01-05, 18:57
hi krystal,

you've got a lot happening in your life. i'm glad you are off the pill.

i got my copy of the atkins book from the library and then discovered the on line site.

like barb said, tofu is really healthy and very inexpensive. my grocery store often sells is for about a dollar a pound. face it, eating junk is expensive. eating well likely costs a little less than eating junk. and i'm curious about barb's diet now and i'm going to have to read about it. i would rather eat tofu than meat - so i am very tempted '-)

the only other time i had weight issues were when i was 15. and i know it was hormones. i did atkins then and it worked for me. (so i did it in the early 70s before you were born) i didn't stay with it after i lost, but i didn't have problems with weight gain until i was 45 - and then the opposite hormones kicked in. but 30 good years is nothing to scoff at.

i'm so proud of you for making this decision when you have. you're at a great age to take the pounds off. you'll be so much healthier for so much longer. i really think atkins helped me get on the right track and be a healthy weight my adult life. (until the last 4 years or so)

like you i'm kind of big boned - gotta love those eastern european peasant genes! i don't count on being the lower end of weight for my height. i think that is an unrealistic goal. i think you are a very smart young woman to have figured that out.

best of luck with this.

Angel Girl
Fri, Apr-01-05, 19:53
Hi and Welcome!

There is a lot of support here for you! We will all help you get to your goal. Everyone knows that I have a long long long way to go myself, but I do need to tell you something. The chances of the pill causing you to gain 80lbs are EXTREMELY thin. Yes, you may gain some, but not 80lbs. I know a lot of girls hear that so it gives them license to eat. Have you had any emotional eating? It is important to get to the root of the problem in order to beat it. Trust me. I know what it is like to be 17 and over weight. I was heavy all through high school and college. It was really hard. It was easy to "blame" the pill, but I knew in my heart that it was really more. Anyway, if you ever want to talk about it, please come post in my journal. I'm in no way trying to make you feel bad. I've been there and know what you are going through. If you should decide you'd ever like to talk, feel free to contact me. I'm now a teen mentor. I have been through a lot of bad things...really bad things in my life that I would like to saw caused me to gain weight, but it was me not being strong of mind and will to not put the food in my mouth.

I am here for you! I will support you and be your cheerleader. I have made good friends on here and I hope to be your friend and cheerleader!!!!

I WILL HELP YOU IN ANY WAY I CAN!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! STICK TO IT!!!!

Danielle

ladybug05
Sat, Apr-02-05, 11:28
Danielle,
Thank you for writing me. And I got on the Depo shot first, before I got on the pill. I gained about 55 punds off the shot, cause I weighed 115 when I first started the shot. Then after a year of being on it I weighed around 170. Then I switched to the pill and gained 20 more pounds. I always ate right. I walked 5 miles a day. It was the birth control that made me gain weight. My mom told me it depends on how your body works. Cause when she was young she got on birth control and it made her gain weight too. I am just not used to being big. I am very active in sports and stuff so I never thought it could happen but it did. I played 10 years of softball and still playing. I was a cheerleader :cheer: for 7 years. I played basketball for 4 years and I ran track for 2 years. So I didnt why I gained weight until the doctor told me it was birth control. I start my diet Monday. I am very excited!!!! :clap: Anyways good luck on everything. And thinks again for writing me.

Krystal