PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Health1st
Mon, Mar-28-05, 03:20
Hi to all. I'm new to the forums--just registered today. Should be in bed because I have to go to class in 6 hours, but got sucked in reading posts!

I'm not anti-fat, but I'm pro-health, so, to me, weight-loss is more a by-product of getting healthy than a goal in itself. I do have a stated "goal" because the site requires one.

I'm working to get healthier because I have Polycyctic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which went undiagnosed for 16 years. PCOS leads to insulin resistance and huge weight gains and, eventually, diabetes, high blood pressure, and cardiovascular problems. I gained 100 pounds in my first 4 years after hitting puberty and 100 pounds in the next 4. Over the following 10 years, I put on another 100. Not all of this was because of the PCOS, because it became a self-feeding cycle (no pun intended)...the more overweight I became due to PCOS, the more I was picked on by peers and left out of the high school and college dating loop, the more depressed I was and the more I ate. Then I gained, of course, which increased the insulin resistant effects of the PCOS.

So, now I'm trying to reverse all that. Low carb is the ONLY eating style that has EVER resulted in any significant weight loss and the ONLY one that has EVER resulted in sustained weight loss for me. I went from 423 lbs to 365 lbs in 4 months. Then I started going low carb, high carb, low carb, high carb. I haven't lost any additional weight. I'm here to make a new committment to my health.

cajuda
Mon, Mar-28-05, 05:08
Hello and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of help and encouragement on this site. I'm sure you've found the section called PCOS in the LowCarb Health & Technical forums. I'm sure you'll find lots of info to help. Have a good day.

Harvey
Mon, Mar-28-05, 06:25
Good morning and welcome aboard. Browsed through your gallery and was quite impressed with the progress you've made so far.

I'm here to wish you the very best of luck on your journey to goal.......I hope you make it all the way.....and have a very pleasant time in doing so.

I know this forum is a great place where you can find lots and lots of support....give and take....it really does help :agree:

Eddie

bellybuton
Mon, Mar-28-05, 06:30
Welcome to the forum!!!! Hope to see less and less of you around here! :)

BTW....You look awesome as a blonde! :thup:

Melanie4
Mon, Mar-28-05, 07:09
Welcome aboard! Glad you joined us in the journey for a healthier body.

Health1st
Tue, Mar-29-05, 02:20
Eddie: Thanks for the welcome! I'm so encouraged to see how much weight you've lost. I took a peek at your journal -- sounds like you're diabetic? Thank God, when I lost that initial weight, my toes quit tingling. My eyes would sometimes go wonky, sort of out of focus. Now, they are just trying to get used to the Metformin and my new blood sugar. Since I got a new pair of glasses the same week I got the Metformin, I have probs seeing well. After I really stabalize, I guess I'll have to get new ones! Anyway, thanks again for welcoming me. I'm interested in any advice I can get from someone whose lost as much as you have!

pinkbug
Tue, Mar-29-05, 02:23
Hiya,

I love your hair in the progress photo... great colour :)

mgood
Tue, Mar-29-05, 03:36
welcome!
before i forget to wish you happy birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
SEE YA

jadefox26
Tue, Mar-29-05, 05:16
http://www.havesomehats.com/artwoik/for%20sale/hello.gif

Hi and welcome to the boards! Hope you enjoy your time here and that you do well on your weight loss journey :)