PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Bake Mix

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sharon
Wed, Nov-01-00, 06:16
Can someone refresh my memory, how many carbs in a cup of Atkins Bake Mix?? Having another over forty moment this morning.

doreen T
Wed, Nov-01-00, 06:39
Good morning,

The actual Atkins brand BakeMix is 3 gm carbs per 1/4 cup serving. The Atkins-like bakemix, recipe found in our very own recipe section (just click in the red menu bar at the top) is 3 carb gm per 1/3 cup, which is a little bigger.

Happy baking!
from Doreen

Sharon
Wed, Nov-01-00, 07:24
Thanks Doreen, I make both. I've converted one of my mom's old recipe's to low carb...I just want to get an accurate count of the carbs. I'll share it will you when I figure it out!!!

MCFARLAND
Wed, Jul-11-01, 13:34
I bought some Atkins bake mix. Followed the directions for the bread EXACTLY as they were written on the container.

My bread did not rise. It was about as thick as a hockey puck. Actually it had the consistancy of cornbread and tasted a little like it, wasn't really that bad.

It it supposed to rise? What could I have done wrong. Any suggestions?

tamarian
Mon, Jul-16-01, 23:52
I'd check some other recipes and try again. Check in the Low-Carb Kichen forum for posts by Sharon, she's the bread expert here. :)

Wa'il

r.mines
Tue, Jul-17-01, 08:28
As far as I know, the Atkins bread recipies are for quick breads, not yeast breads. I've made the one in his book, and indeed it doesn't rise much. I thought it tasted like cornbread, too. I'm pretty sure that's the way it's supposed to be.

If you want to try making a low-carb yeast bread that rises more, there are some recipes here in the 'recipe' section - click on the red bar above.

Rachel

Bonnie
Tue, Jul-17-01, 10:20
As far as I know, the Atkins bread recipies are for quick breads, not yeast breads.

McFarland,

As Rachel has mentioned above the one and only time I tried to make bread from the Atkins bread mix, it resulted in a bread resembling a quick bread....have since perfected a homemade version of a LC Bread recipe and as noted in a previous thread there are many great LC Bread recipes here at the recipes link...

:) Bonnie

EllieEats
Fri, Nov-30-01, 18:11
Hi-------- I bought a couple cans of Atkins Bake mix (It was on sale!) I plan to use it for some of his bread in the future.
Question--- is the carb count on the can accurate?? No hidden carbs? Is the carb count he puts on his recipes accurate and nothing hidden. Theres so much said about the snack bars-- now I'm going to be cautious :(
Thanks-------Ellie :wave:

doreen T
Fri, Nov-30-01, 18:42
At the present time, the only carbs that can be "hidden" are sugar alcohols and other syrup sweeteners. Look for the following ingredients:glycerine/glycerol
polydextrose
glucose polymer
isomalt
maltitol
sorbitol
erythritol
inulin
HSH (hydrolysed starch hydrolysate)
maltitol syrup
mannitol
xylitol
If your product doesn't have any of these ingredients in them, then the carb count on the label is probably accurate. Many of the low carb protein shake powders are as low carb as they say on the label too ... as long as none of those ingredients are listed. (beware ... I've seen some soy shake powders labelled sugar-free, but they contain fructose!)

For more information about those ingredients, click on Low Carb Tips from the orange menu bar at the top of the page, and read the article Sugar Alcohols. It will explain a little more why and how manufacturers can get away with hiding them, and not declaring the true carbs on the label.

Doreen

DPD
Tue, Aug-20-02, 06:36
it was truly nasty. :Puke: I made the quick bread recipe from the can and added some cinnamon and nutmeg. As much as it was like eating sawdust...I would rather eat sawdust. I went into it - not with high expectations> I thought well even if it's gross I could put cream cheese or SF peanut butter on it ( I really need some bread or a cracker or something). Didn't help. I couldn't even swallow it. For crunch I'll stick to pork rinds!!!! Has anyone made a good recipe from the bake mix? I may give it one more chance before I return it.

TIA Donna

IslandGirl
Tue, Aug-20-02, 15:44
Have a look in the LowCarb Kitchen Forum for recipes??

wanabthin
Thu, Aug-22-02, 12:19
I have this Akins Bake mix. What can I make with it? I tried it once on fried grren tomatoes and it turned into a mess. Any ideas??? :rolleyes:

IslandGirl
Thu, Aug-22-02, 16:01
There are recipes on the package (at least one).

You might also try the LowCarb Kitchen Forum here at this website.

sandy98506
Fri, Aug-23-02, 10:57
I agree, it is swful but recently I tried Adkins pancake & waffle mix and was pleasantly surprised. Instead of being made with soy flour (yuk) it is made with something called "Hi-Maize" If any of you know what this is and where we can get flour or bake mix made with it please let me know. thanks sandy

AnitaB
Sun, Sep-08-02, 19:40
This morning I did make the pancake recipe printed on the Bake Mix can.

While they didn't rise to be nice fluffy pancakes, my kids and hubby ate them all and asked for more!

So it was a nice breakfast change from what I've been having.

BSMumford
Thu, Sep-26-02, 13:49
:q: :q: Can someone help me? I am hoping to mix up a batch of the faux Atkins bake mix ... what I'd like to do is use it in my bread machine I got for xmas last year. Do I use it just like regular flour or is there another floury thing I have to add? If it acts just like regular flour, the yeast ingredient ought to make it rise.

I checked the recipes (they all sound yummy) and found a couple I'd like to try (Ie the pancakes using the faux atkins bake mix). Since my cooking experiments are a running joke in this household (hubby has even made a 'release of liability' form for visiting friends as a gag), I'd like all the help/advice I can get!!!

IslandGirl
Thu, Sep-26-02, 19:21
BSMumford, I strongly recommend you read the previous posts in this thread... somebody already tried a yeast-type bread and it didn't look like it worked very well. There are also recommendations to try the LowCarb Kitchen forum, where this kind of advice is helpful.

In particular, let me say as an experienced cook, that unless you find a recipe for a yeast-type bread (as in a bread machine) using the Faux Atkins Bake Mix, you will probably be wasting your time... Do have a look in the LowCarb Kitchen.

pha1226
Wed, Feb-19-03, 19:38
The bread I made with the Atkins bake mix (exactly as directions on box) was NASTY! It smelled awful when it was baking and has a really nasty aftertaste (something pork-like...I can't even describe it). On the other hand, I made pancakes with the same mix and they were quite good. :confused:

decarber
Wed, Feb-19-03, 20:19
Needed a dessert to take to a dinner that I could eat. Used the Atkin's banana walnut muffin mix, cooked it in a bundt cake pan.
I frosted it with lc cream cheese frosting.
EVERYONE loved it, had very little left, will definitely use this again.
muffins are 3 carbs 18 per box, I guessed about 6 carbs per slice of the cake.
decarber