PDA

View Full Version : Any Low-carbers in South Africa?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Stylus
Sat, Mar-12-05, 10:04
I know there must be many people in South Africa, who may have come across this forum, as Dr Atkins books are flying off the shelves here. It would be nice to share ideas and offer advice as to substituting products and ingredients for South African brands. Very little is available as far as LC treats and products, and most health experts are completely against the Atkins diet, so I have had to make up menus and recipes, on my own and would love to share them. :wave:

amanda2
Wed, Apr-06-05, 04:10
Hi Stylus. I am from SA and would love to hear from you

Stylus
Thu, Apr-07-05, 15:33
Hi Amanda

Thank goodness I've finally found someone to respond to my posting from South Africa! :lol: :lol:

It would be great to hear from you and if I can offer any advice or help, it would be my pleasure to do so. I 've been on this WOE (Way of Eating) for 2 and a half months and don't think I could have continued to stay on it, without the help of this forum. It is large with many members, but lots of people are willing to help you. You can stick to the Atkins diet, if you substitute some of the acceptable foods with South African versions, YOU CAN DO IT. And it looks like you have already, congrats on the weight-loss you've achieved so far! :cheer: :cheer:

You can reach me by visiting my journal anytime, and if you need some help setting your own one up, just shout!

Karen

amanda2
Fri, Apr-08-05, 03:38
Hi there. Well you are doing absoloutely fantastic. Keep it up. I cant believe how good you are doing. I am getting stuck on the South African versions, any ideas? My menu basically consists of meat and a bit of salad. I would love a bit of variety. Also, what do you snack on? How do I set up my journal? So you mean to tell me you have lost 21 kg's in 2 and a half months. Take care, keep strong
Amanda

Stylus
Fri, Apr-08-05, 15:01
Hi Amanda

Sorry I only came back to you now, but I can only go online at night and weekends, thanks to our lovely phone service in this country costing so much! :lol: How do I set up my journal? You click on Journals/Bootcamp which is a sub menu in the Active Forum (Main page) You can also find it at the bottom right hand corner of this page in a drop-down menu, titles forum jump. Once there just start a new thread with the title you want your journal to be: ie.: "Amanda's Journal". Once you post your first entry in the new thread, your journal icon will appear at the bottom right hand corner of each posting you make and you can click on anyone's else's (like mine) in their postings to get to their's. To find your journal each time you log on, just look at the top right hand corner of the screen, where it says: Welcome Amanda and click on journal. You can also access all threads that you have posted on as well as your journal by clicking on User CP on the top left hand side of the toolbar at the top of this page (next to FAQ's). You will see a list of all subscribed threads that you have posted to including your journal and you can also change your profile and signature, avatars etc. I would love a bit of variety. Also, what do you snack on?Once you have managed to set up your journal, post a couple of menu's in there and I can help you think of some variety and different recipes to make this plan less boring. If you struggle to set up the jounral, just post them in this thread and then I can sort you out!

Write Soon

Karen

Stylus
Fri, Apr-08-05, 16:24
So you mean to tell me you have lost 21 kg's in 2 and a half months. :lol: :lol: Sorry, to laugh, I really wish I HAD lost 21 kgs but, no I'm afraid I think I've only lost about 10. My start weight is 86 because that's when I started weighing myself which was in Feb. I also messed up the beginning of the diet when I drank flavoured mineral water instead of plain, as I didn't know what the carb content was. I found out afterwards, that each glass had about 6 carbs in it!!!

Anyway, eventually I started induction properly and stuck to it, but I am a slow loser although my hubby loses weight much faster than I do. I HAVE lost centimetres though, which I manage to do every week, even though I sometimes don't lose kilo's for several weeks. So far I've lost about 50cm since the middle of Feb; if I can offer any advice that will really help you, it's to measure yourself on a weekly basis as well as jump on the scales. It can be very disheartening to not lose kg's. but sometimes it's just your body's way of adjusting. Also there are lots of foods that can cause you to retain water such as nuts, bacon, cold meats like ham and cheese because they can have a high level of sodium.

Anyway, I hope I haven't confused you too much with too much info. Take care and write soon

Karen

amanda2
Wed, Apr-13-05, 08:50
Hi there Karen. Well,i had some pretty bad news yesterday. About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovaries. Anyway,after a lot of dieting I managed to fall pregnant with a healthy,beautifull baby boy. I weigh less now than back then, and the PCO's has come back. The doctor has advised me to go on to the low GI diet. Atkins was going really well,and I am very dissapointed. Apparantly you need good carbs to help you. Oh well, life goes on. Anyway,take care. By the way, my snack foods are mainly Tom Sawyer's pork crackling,biltong and boiled eggs. Very interesting huh?
Lots of love
Amanda

Stylus
Wed, Apr-13-05, 15:34
Hi Amanda

I posted my response in your journal.

Love Karenxxx

tim's mum
Mon, Dec-12-05, 08:49
Hi there,

I'm also from SA. Nice to know that there are other's from SA living to LC way of life.

Good luck to everyone.

Stylus
Sat, Dec-17-05, 15:19
Hi Tims mum

Nice to meet you - where is Douglasdale?

You've done really well so far - how are you enjoying the LC way of life? I love this plan - even though the losses has slowed down quite a lot. I never get hungry eating this way - not like I used to on Low fat.

tim's mum
Mon, Dec-19-05, 08:29
Hi Karen
Thanks for your reply. Douglasdale is right next to Fourways Mall. You've lost loads March 31, 2006. I love the LC way of life... the only problem is that sometimes it gets bland and boring. Its a bit of a challenge to come up with innovative ideas to make the meals more enjoyable.

Stylus
Wed, Dec-21-05, 14:27
Hi

the only problem is that sometimes it gets bland and boring. Its a bit of a challenge to come up with innovative ideas to make the meals more enjoyable.

I agree with you regarding the above. Especially when you crave things like fruit. Luckily I really don't miss things like potatoes, bread and pasta. As long as I can have my coffee with cream every morning - I'm happy!

I do have fruit now and then - Strawberries, Blueberries and Raspberries. Yesterday I made a really delicious Ice Cream with them and stuck it in the freezer for Xmas. As far as the rest of the Xmas meal is concerned I feel I can have more yummy things than I could on a low-fat diet - like Gammon, Roast Lamb and roast veggies like pumpkin. I really don't think I will miss the potatoes and gravy either.

Are you still on induction levels or have you moved up the ladder to OWL? I have added more things like the fruit, nuts and other veggies but I'm still sticking to about 25 carbs a day.

Do you find you have to count calories as well? I know you don't have to on Atkins but the age I am (42) I find that the losses improved after cutting back.

Hope to speak to you soon - we can swop tips on getting LC products in this country - not very easy!

tim's mum
Wed, Jan-04-06, 02:20
Hi Stylus,

Been away for a while with all the festivities hence the delay in reply. How was your XMAS? Did you gain or lose? I pretty much gained 3lbs but then lost it when i went back on LCing last week. I recently found pork crackling in a butchery at Northgate....it made for a good snack. I also noticed that Weigh-less have come up with low carb sausages and bacon. Usually sausages have about 9g of carbs per 100g but these new weigh-less sausages are 3g per 100g and they come with herbs and pepper....yummy! You can get them in Pick & Pay! I have macadamia nuts as a snack from time to time. Been looking for low carb syrups without much luck. Any ideas?

samfhanan
Wed, Jan-04-06, 03:00
Hi stylus,

I'm from Egypt and I hardly find anyone from there.It was so good to hear the weight by kilos as in Egypt and the measures in centimeters, it makes a big difference.
i was 82 kilos when i started, now I'm 70, maybe little as I didnt weigh recently, also concerning cooking, I share you the experience of not having the products they talk about.
can I join here as we are all in Africa?
Hanan

Stylus
Wed, Jan-04-06, 11:53
Welcome Hanan and welcome back Tim's Mum!

Tim's mum: I didn't gain anything over Xmas even though I had Canderel choccies, and a little cheese sauce and gravy. They were my only cheats but I did eat a lot of the allowed foods like gammon etc!

I recently found pork crackling in a butchery at Northgate....it made for a good snack. I also noticed that Weigh-less have come up with low carb sausages and bacon. Usually sausages have about 9g of carbs per 100g but these new weigh-less sausages are 3g per 100g and they come with herbs and pepper....yummy!

When we lived in Joburg I used to eat pork crackling as well, but can't find it here where we live (Kuruman). But I have tried the pork bangers from weighless - they are yummy!

I have no idea where to get those syrups, unless you can order them online from an overseas supplier. If you find a supplier please let me know - those Brits and Americans don't know how lucky they are!!!!

Hanan: I would be happy to have you as part of our (very) small group from Africa. I started at 86 but now am down to 69 so we are very close in weight at the moment.
How do you find people's attitude's towards LCing - here in SA most dieticians are against it, *sigh*.

samfhanan
Wed, Jan-04-06, 14:43
Hi again stylus,

it's good to know that we are close inweight now.
Here i Egypt most doctors are against this diet as well, even if they sometimes recommend somethin that looks like it, they recommend lots of fruits and veggies with some brad as well.

I don't really disscuss my diet with people around I just say I'm dieting if they asked about my weight.
I have another problem, thatis the meat is expensive, I mostly eat chickens, eggs, cheese...
Hear from you soon,
Hanan

Stylus
Thu, Jan-05-06, 13:21
Hi Hanan

Meat is also very expensive here, as well as fish and chicken. It's hard sometimes to get enough protein so I eat a lot of eggs too.

I have always loved vegetables but for the past couple of months I'm starting to get really bored with them. Perhaps we can swap some recipes and ideas to make our daily menus a bit more interesting? :)

SafferBabe
Wed, Jan-18-06, 04:28
Hi everyone :D

Sooooo happy to find other Saffers on these boards!! :agree: I'm from Morningside (Sandton).

I have started Atkins on Monday (16 Jan) and have already lost 2.5kg! I know it's probably water but that's quite OK with me.

I have two questions:

1. I do all my food shopping at Woolies and they have labels (Nutritional Info) on everything. However, their carb content often differs from the carb content listed on the Atkins Carb Counter. I'll list one example (but there are many):

Atkins says cheddar cheese = 0.2g carb per 30g
Woolworths = 0.1g carb per 100g :q:

It's so confusing but since I really trust Woolies I'm following their counters. I'm also thinking there could be a possibility that food items in the US are not necessarily the same as food items in SA. Another one: salmon. Atkins says 0g and Woolies says 0.1g. Even though there are no added ingredients.

2. Does anyone know where I can buy Atkins supplements? I need to get hold of those asap. I have found several online shops/pharmacies that stock Atkins supplements but nooooone delivers to this 3rd world country at the bottom of Africa :D

Lekker dag!

x

Stylus
Wed, Jan-18-06, 12:25
Welcome Safferbabe to this thread! :wave:

Congrats on your loss so far - how are you feeling? Some people do get the "Atkins flu" during induction but it will go away - if this is the first time you are low carbing, this way of life can be a shock to the system! It takes a few days for your body to become a fat burning machine, and for the cravings to go, but I promise you if you stick it out for the first two weeks, it does get easier.

I really don't think I could have come this far (18 kg in 9 months) without the support of this board, so if you have any questions, don't be afraid to seek the advice of others here. And read as much as you can from other people's experiences, as this is how I learned an enormous amount.

As far as the difference between Woolies and the Atkins Counter goes:

Personally I'm rather inclined to lean towards the Atkins numbers because this WOE has really worked for me. Especially the info woolies has provided re the salmon. If there are no added ingredients I can't understand how there can be any carbs in fish!

A really great online daily diet counter is Fitday.com . I used this in the beginning and it's free. You can easily track your carbs this way, but don't forget to subtract the fibre from the veggies. You can create your own favourite foods this way and it really makes life easier. Another software programme you can buy is Diet Power which I use when I'm not online.

As far as the supplements for, do you mean things like Atkins bake mix and low carb shakes and bars? If so then I have no idea where you could get them but I hope if you find out, you will let me know. I wish we had those yummy Da Vinci syrups here too. By the way some people on this board are having Lindt 85% chocolate as a treat occasionally - one square is apparently only 1 - 2 carbs! If you come across that, please let me know where to find it!

SafferBabe
Thu, Jan-19-06, 01:23
Hi Stylus :wave:

Thank you so much for your reply :thup:

Thanks for the additional info too. I have decided to believe the one with the highest amount. That way I can only win (or "lose more", as the case may be :lol: ).

I'm on my 4th day now and so far I've had no cravings whatsoever. Very happy about that :) I found your comment about the "Atkins flu" quite interesting as since last night I've had a sore throat. I'll just stick it out knowing now that it will eventually go away :thup:

As for the supplements, I was referring to the vitamins and minerals he's recommending in his book, e.g. chromium etc. Not the snacks or shakes as I believe these things have hidden carbs and with over a 100 pounds to lose I'm not taking any risks :o I want to start taking the supplements asap as I've really cut down the veggies to almost nothing ;)

And yes, I agree with you, these boards are fantastic :thup:

Have a wonderful day!

Stylus
Thu, Jan-19-06, 13:44
Hi Safferbabe

Sorry to hear about the sore throat - I really hope it is the Atkins Flu and not a the real thing! (Keeping fingers crossed!) ;)

You are doing so well - I still had cravings after the first week for sweet stuff so I made up Dinah's Sugar Free Jelly (You can get it at Pick and Pay) and had that at night if I had a munchie attack, (which is when I used to get them).

A general rule I believe, is that you lose 10% of the total amount you need to lose in the first two weeks. I lost about 5 pounds only but then I had 50 - 60 pounds to lose altogether. So if you lose about 10 pounds, that is really great! :thup: You may lose even more, if you are younger! :lol: :lol:

As far as the vitamins and minerals, how about a really good health store?

What are you taking at the moment? I take a Multivitamin, Flax Seed oil caps,
1000iu of Vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium and Iron.

Initially I was anaemic and was suffering a lot from extreme fatigue. The iron tabs sorted me out, and I've been fine for a long time. But just recently I've been suffering from low-blood pressure a lot (you know, you black out when standing up too quickly). I suppose I should be grateful that it's not high blood pressure! :lol: :lol: But I am wondering if it's the anaemia that's back, as I believe that's one of the symptoms, so am taking the Iron again.

Take care
Karen :wave:

Stamina
Sun, Jan-29-06, 11:39
Hi Stylus & Tims Mom

Im from Midrand South Africa

How do I get in touch, I dont think this system allows one to put your email address or telephone number

My info is on www.timeless.co.za

JayCee

Kirsty Mac
Thu, Feb-09-06, 23:56
Hi I'm kirsty. Great to find someone else thinking in Kgs. I have been on Atkins for ages. Some great things have happened I have stopped binge eating completely. Stopped craving pizza everytime things go wrong. But the problem is I have been on Atkins since about July last year and I have only lost about 8kgs. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyway I keep going.. because i feel that at long last I have put food in its right place. I started off at 103kg and now I'm 95 kg but I should be 60 so I have a long way to go. I find it easy to eat low carb but do get a bit bored. :help:

Stylus
Fri, Feb-10-06, 12:30
Hi Kirsty

Welcome to this thread - great to hear that more S'Africans are getting into Atkins. I'm sorry to hear that you have only experienced an 8 kilo loss so far after being on this plan since July. :q: :exclm:

But it's great that you have controlled your binges through Atkins. I love the fact that I'm not hungry anymore right after eating a big meal (which was high in carbs of course) and I have controlled my chocolate addiction.

Kirsty, if you like you can post your menu's here or in my journal and I can see what you are eating; perhaps we can figure out what the prob is. Plus we can share recipes with South African ingredients and tips.

You might try and see if cutting down on calories has some effect on your weight loss. It did for me - things really started improving once I cut back. I am a slow loser though and have only lost about 20kgs after doing this for a year. :thdown:

Anyway hope to hear from you soon :wave:
Karen

Kirsty Mac
Sun, Feb-12-06, 02:40
thanks for your info. I don't really have a menu as such. I try to buy low carb stuff and then just open the fridge and see what is there. But I will definately try and go more low calorie because sometimes I must eat load. What is the situation regarding Canderal Chocolate? Everyso often I have about 4 squares when I am craving something sweet. thanks so much for your reply it's kinda nice to know there is someone else out there. I would be delighted with a 20kg loss in a year. Well done.

Kirsty Mac
Sun, Feb-12-06, 02:40
thanks for your info. I don't really have a menu as such. I try to buy low carb stuff and then just open the fridge and see what is there. But I will definately try and go more low calorie because sometimes I must eat load. What is the situation regarding Canderal Chocolate? Everyso often I have about 4 squares when I am craving something sweet. thanks so much for your reply it's kinda nice to know there is someone else out there. I would be delighted with a 20kg loss in a year. Well done. ;)

SafferBabe
Tue, Feb-14-06, 04:52
You might try and see if cutting down on calories has some effect on your weight loss. It did for me - things really started improving once I cut back. I am a slow loser though and have only lost about 20kgs after doing this for a year. :thdown:

Hi there fellow South African folk :D

Stylus, could your slower (relatively speaking) weight loss be due to the fact that you were never seriously obese? I have lost 22lbs in one month but I know it's due to me being seriously obese :o I have updated my journal and would love for you to comment on what I'm eating. I'm concerned that I might be eating too much :help: I know that wouldn't be such a huge problem right now, but realise it could become one as time goes by. My focus now is to get used to this healthy WOE and to control cravings and hunger. So far it's been working and I'm extremely happy :thup:

Lekker dag :wave:

Stylus
Tue, Feb-14-06, 16:25
Firstly, Kirsty if you have a copy of an Atkins book, he does say that you shouldn't eat more than 6 -7 ounces (170 to 200g)of protein at one sitting, or 3- 4 ounces (90 - 120g) of cheese in one day. He says you can eat liberally of good fats and as long as you are tracking your carb intake you should be eating all the right stuff. Apparently excess protein can be converted to glucose by the liver, which will be stored as fat.

Have you tried Fitday.com? It's free and really useful for keeping track of what you are eating and will provide you with reports like what your ratio of carbs, fats and protein should look like. I try to keep my carbs at about 8%, Protein at 22% and Fat at 70%. :) But you don't have to be exactly rigid on those figures!! :lol: :lol: It also depends on what level of carbs you are on. I am still on 20 carbs a day as I stall when I add more. If you are on a higher level you should have less fat.

What is the situation regarding Canderal Chocolate? Every so often I have about 4 squares when I am craving something sweet

Over Xmas I had some Canderel Chocolate and didn't gain at all, but last week I had some on my birthday (had to treat myself with something!!) :lol: and my rate of weight los has slowed down, so won't be having any for a while. Just be careful to read the back of the wrappers as different flavours have different carb counts. Also I believe that sugar alcohols can cause diarrohea (sp??), but it hasn't affected me.

Have you tried having some strawberries, blueberries or raspberries with cream when you really feel like something sweet? The blueberries are a bit higher in carbs but you could make a delicious icecream with the strawberries (I have the recipe if you would like it!) :D

Safferbabe - great to hear from you! Congratulations!! I have answered your question in your journal - hope to see you in mine too.

Take care allxx
Karen

SafferBabe
Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:22
Hi Stylus & Tims Mom

Im from Midrand South Africa

How do I get in touch, I dont think this system allows one to put your email address or telephone number

My info is on www.timeless.co.za

JayCee

Hi there JayCee :wave:

Is your email address the "info" one? Would love to get in touch as Midrand is just around the corner :thup:

:rheart:

SafferBabe
Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:28
Hi I'm kirsty. Great to find someone else thinking in Kgs. I have been on Atkins for ages. Some great things have happened I have stopped binge eating completely. Stopped craving pizza everytime things go wrong. But the problem is I have been on Atkins since about July last year and I have only lost about 8kgs. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyway I keep going.. because i feel that at long last I have put food in its right place. I started off at 103kg and now I'm 95 kg but I should be 60 so I have a long way to go. I find it easy to eat low carb but do get a bit bored. :help:

Hi Kirsty :wave:

Congrats on your loss so far :thup: I have had the same brilliant things happen to me. No cravings, no binge eating etc.

Why don't you post a journal so that we could see your daily menus to offer advice/suggestions? :thup: I find it so helpful as sometimes I'm a bit unsure about what's right and what's not :)

I have spotted quite a few posts of people giving warnings re "frankenfoods". A lot say it either stalls them or the loss is incredibly slow. The Canderel chocolate would be a good example of a frankenfood. I'm staying away from those completely as I've got a lot of weight to lose and I wish to take the quickest route possible ;)

SafferBabe
Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:43
Safferbabe - great to hear from you! Congratulations!! I have answered your question in your journal - hope to see you in mine too.

Take care allxx
Karen

Have posted in your journal :thup:

tim's mum
Sat, Feb-18-06, 09:25
Hello everybody!

Its been a while since I last posted a message on here.... Its nice to see that more SA folk are chatting here and making progress with the diet. I have been pretty much stalled between 171-173lbs but I know that its mainly due to my slacking of late. Will be fixing that from tomorrow onwards! The best thing that helps to accelerate the weight loss for me is having at least 3L of water per/day evenly spread out through the day. Sudden binge drinking at the end of the day (as I used to) is not very effective.

In a couple of weeks, my friend and I will be opening a little online shop for Lcarb products such as atkins etc. If that does well, then we plan to open up a little corner shop somewhere. I was in the States recently and I was amazed at how cheap the LC products are yet we seem to be ripped off by some folk who are selling them with high shipping costs etc..!

We should have a low-carb braai someday!

Regards to you all.

Tim's Mum

SafferBabe
Sat, Feb-18-06, 09:36
Hi there Tim's Mum :wave:

A braai sounds grand :thup: Where in SA are you from? I will most certainly support your shoppie. But please please please stock the Atkins Supplements too. Not necessarily the Atkins brand. Just any good quality brand containing what he recommends in DANDR. I promise to buy them ;)

Best of luck with resuming your journey tomorrow :thup:

Stylus
Sun, Feb-19-06, 12:06
Hi Tim's Mum

Good to hear from you again - I'm so glad you haven't given up completely on this plan. We all have our lapses, but the fact that you have picked yourself up again and have the determination to carry on is more than half-way to success. :)

I will also definitely support your online shop - it's just what we have been discussing in our journals: the lack of any good online shopping for lc products. :cheer: :cheer:

Love the idea of the braai - we should make it like the US Meat and Greet which is going down this year! ;)

xxKaren

tim's mum
Mon, Feb-20-06, 06:32
Hi Safferbabe & Stylus

Thanks for your replies. What wonderful positive women you are! The support from you guys is fab! I'm back on track today. 3 fried eggs, 2 porkies and 1 strip of bacon so far. And oh yes...I've just finished my 1st 2L of water. Another 1 or 2 to go. For dinner I will probably go for roast chicken or something like that. I'm not big on red meat so I find myself sticking pretty much to chicken and fish.

As for the braai, I'm open to ideas of where and when? I'm in Fourways but I'm flexible.

As for the shop... will keep you posted!

Regards,

Tim's mummy

amanda2
Wed, Mar-22-06, 06:17
Hi Tims Mom.
I live in Kwazulu Natal, and have been on atkins for about one and a half years now. I have just recently had a baby, so I went off it for a while, but am now back on full force. I know it definately works, its just that the variety gets a bit bland now and again. I am desperately looking for snack foods other than meat and salad
Take care
Amanda

Stylus
Fri, Mar-24-06, 14:27
Hi Amanda

Thanks for your posting in my journal - I've replied in your journal too.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

How old is he? You must upload some photos of him!

Welcome back to this forum - I'm so glad you have decided to give it a go again.

Atkins has definitely worked for me, though lately I have had to tweak the plan a bit, by cutting back on protein and increasing the fat. I'm losing a bit faster now and don't get hungry between meals anymore either.

If you are past induction, you can have nuts and berries for snacks, but try to eat small portions of these, some people stall with them (me included!) Sometimes I treat myself with Dinah's sugarfree jelly and cream. You can get this from Pick and Pay hypermarkets and some Spars. You can also try making some yummy low-carb goodies - why not try the recipe section here, there are some delicious ones like Mock Danish, pancakes, peanut butter cookies and Deep Dish Pizza Bake. Occasionally I eat biltong, but it is quite high in carbs and the salt will make you retain water, but it does add some variety.

If I'm really desperate for something, I often find that decaff filter coffee with a tbspn of whizzed up cream really hits the spot - I have about 3 cups a day..

Karen

SafferBabe
Sat, Mar-25-06, 00:48
Hiya

Just to let you all know I've finally found all the supplements recommended by Atkins in SA. Took me 6 weeks research to find them all. I have bought all of the recommended ones (including L-carnitine) and broke a stall. The companies I order from also deliver countrywide. If you would like more info, please pm me :thup:

Miss_tots
Wed, Nov-29-06, 10:07
Hi guys... i jus started atkins last week and i was so glad to have found this forum - but it seems you've all gone...
please get in touch - i can see how something like this can be helpful and supporting ... :wave:

RedBlob
Thu, Nov-30-06, 12:22
Also in South Africa. I'd love some of those nice overseas goodies too. If anyone knows where I can buy them, I'm there. :)

Be careful about biltong. I spoke with a producer who told me they use SUGAR to process it!

RedBlob
Fri, Dec-08-06, 06:17
Come back people!!

I finally found a place to order coconut oil, so I thought I'd share it. It's here:

http://www.organicsonline.co.za

They deliver in Cape Town on Wednesdays; otherwise they'll ship it to you. The only downside is its a little bit expensive.

Kirsty Mac
Mon, Dec-11-06, 01:09
Hi terrible about the biltong cos I just about live on the stuff. Everyone I know who has done atkins has done brilliantly except me. I mean it is great to eat all those naughty foods and not put on weight but I havent lost really anything. Not sure why?? maybe I need to eat less calories too?not sure? some days it is really depressing but at least I am not a carbo addict anymore.

RedBlob
Mon, Dec-11-06, 01:24
Hi Kirsty! I'm also in the Cape (Western Cape). I'd love to be support buddies with you, since I don't know any other nearby Atkids.

I also have high metabolic resistance. My calorie intake is between 1800-2300 per day (average usually 2050).

RedBlob
Mon, Dec-11-06, 01:28
BTW girls, where is the link to this online shop? I would certainly buy there!!!

Miss_tots
Thu, Dec-14-06, 08:22
wow finally some people...howzit girls...
i have a confession to make - I failed - I cracked on a piece of lemon meringue ... whats a girl to do?
So now Im starting again - 1 wek till christmas..prob not the best time to start - but i need to do this now or never... putting it off is easy.. starting is the hard part for me...
I guess the good thing is that now im in Zambia for the holidays and there are not as many yummy temptations...

Glad you guys are there for some support though

RedBlob
Thu, Dec-14-06, 21:22
Oh no! I hear you about the holidays - a nice rich fruit cake has been calling my name all week, but I've managed to resist it. At least you had only one piece. :)

RedBlob
Thu, Dec-21-06, 05:57
Just want to restate -- I checked with another biltong producer, and she said they use A LOT of sugar in the process. Why - I have no idea. But, now that I've heard it from two sources, its probably best to avoid biltong...

tracey c
Thu, Jan-18-07, 07:12
So happy to find some South Africans on the diet. Iam having problems getting recipes with local ingredients :help: most of the recipes I find have got some things I havnt a clue as to what they are. So if anyone can help me with some yummy goodies I will really appreciate it. Enjoy your day :wave:

3u33les
Tue, May-22-12, 05:32
hi
so glad to find fellow sa's here!would love to read your journal,but i can't quite find my feet here.please help

thanks