PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dmlakos
Fri, Mar-11-05, 08:28
Hello. I'm new to this site but I was wondering if anyone out there has switched from Atkins to the South Beach Diet. My son and I have been doing Atkins for 5 weeks now (he's lost 13#, I've lost 8#). We're starting to get bored with the fact that there are almost NO carbs allowed. I just read the SB Diet book and I'm intrigued that you can eat more fruit, more vegetables, and even low-fat, artificially sweetened yogurt! I wonder since we've gone through the Atkins induction and don't have sugar/carbs in our system, do we need to "induce" again with South Beach? Thanks.

tigerstar
Fri, Mar-11-05, 13:46
Hello, and Welcome! :wave:

I've done Atkins before, but it's been a few years since I was on it, so I had to start with Phase 1 when I came to South Beach. I think it's up to you whether you decide to go right to Phase 2 or not. If I were coming right from Atkins, I would probably just go to Phase 2, myself. Just remember, when you start phase 2, you're introducing the things like fruit and whole grains slowly. I started with a piece of fruit a day for the first week. As for the grains, I view them as a treat, something to have once in a while. I might have some steel-cut oats once a week, or some dreamfield's pasta (well, I haven't had that since the beginning of Feb) I really don't even miss the bread or pasta. I've replaced my old ham or turkey sandwich with a ham or turkey salad, for instance. And for dinner, instead of cooking "meat, veggie, starch", I now cook "meat, veggie, veggie". I don't miss the pasta with my dinner anymore, but it's there if I want it once in a while.

well, lots of luck on your low-carb journey!