PDA

View Full Version : Back to LC with a different objective

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

laura77
Thu, Mar-10-05, 11:02
Hello, everyone.

I did Atkins for a few months over a year ago with much success. Of course, after a while I quit, mostly because I was restricting myself too much and got tired of it.

Most of my life I've had chronic (5-6 a week) headaches, and just in the past year or so have I tried to do something about it. I tried eliminating "trigger" foods, doing a vegan/whole foods diet, and many different migraine Rxs. All worked a little, but nothing really made a big difference. I finally got fed up a couple of months ago and gave up on ever finding a solution.

Well, last week I was thinking about when I did Atkins before, and I remembered that, while I was doing LC, I *never* got a headache (well, maybe one or two, but nothing like I usually get). Duh! It had never occurred to me that the two might be connected.

So, as a last resort, I started Atkins again about 5 days ago. And now, just five days into it, I already feel better. I'm not lighteheaded like I usually am, and I don't feel the same blood sugar rollercoaster as before.

I know now, though, that this time around I have to be more flexible with myself, as I know this has to be a lifelong thing. I'd love to lose weight, too, but that's not my main goal. If I can lead a headache-free life, I'm willing to do just about anything. I'm thrilled to have finally discovered a solution to my problem!

tinaninea
Thu, Mar-10-05, 13:31
Hi Laura,
You have a great story about the benefits of lowcarb besides weight loss. I'm glad to hear you finally found something that works!
Welcome to the forum.

Dylan
Thu, Mar-10-05, 22:45
I think there have been many eople, my self included that have felt the restriction lead us off plan. I realized that the restriction was only me and that its ok to be a little flexible. It only took that time of reflection to realize when I felt my healthiest and that was when I was eating less carbohydrates in the form of sugar and starches. I have PCOS and the difference is light night and day.
Im happy for you that you made the decision.

LOOPS
Fri, Mar-11-05, 12:56
Hi Laura -

just wanted to say I had the same thing with restriction, and after messing around with other plans (I did the vegan thing as well - put on weight), I have come to my hopefully final conclusion it is the carbs making me feel crap.

I too am not restricting too much now - I allow myself a few higher carb things so I can stick to it for the long haul.

Anyway, welcome back.

Loops

Gailew
Fri, Mar-11-05, 14:12
I lost my migraines too, until just recently, but they're nothing like they were before. It has to be the low carbs. My health has dramatically improved.
I agree with you about feeling restricted. This Woe is not a sprint, it's a long distance run. I have to eat like I can live with it for the duration. That means when I'm on vacation, I allow myself some indulgences, within reason. When I'm home, I control my intake more. But I don't feel like I'm holding my breath or some other time-limited effort to reach a goal and then let go. I do think that to start out, it's wise for most to go thru induction to kick the sugar habit and allow the body to fully adjust to the new Woe. But the OWL process is finding out your own limits and balance on what you can eat and still lose weight. Maybe this is why I'm losing slower than some others in this forum. I'm not in a hurry. I feel great and seeing results and am satisfied with that.
So welcome back, Laura77--Gail