PDA

View Full Version : Acesulfame

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

haileydawg
Wed, Mar-09-05, 22:03
What's the low down on acesulfame? Should we steer away from it like aspartame or is it safer like splenda?

LukeA
Wed, Mar-09-05, 22:30
"Ace-k" as its known has been extensively tested, and is extremely safe.

(btw, a lot of aspartame's bad press is entirely unfounded and unproven).

haileydawg
Wed, Mar-09-05, 22:32
Thanks Luke

scott123
Wed, Mar-09-05, 22:42
Ace K has a pretty horrible aftertaste on it's own, but in small amounts, it has a phenomenal synergy with splenda. Combining the two is definitely the way to go.

dane
Thu, Mar-10-05, 00:56
I'm not too excited about the aftertaste of Ace-K, either....... I'm going to try Scott's idea of combining it w/Splenda. Kewl.

scott123
Thu, Mar-10-05, 02:42
Dane, I don't know what form of ace k you're using, but I find it works best when no more than about 15% of the sweetening equivalent is ace k and the rest Splenda. I use a brand called 'Sweet One' and that's 2 t. sweetening equivalent per packet. I keep it to about 2 packets per cup of splenda.

If you like ace k and splenda (which I'm sure you will ;) ) try tossing one more sweetener into the mix (erythritol, stevia). That's when the party really starts jumping.

dane
Thu, Mar-10-05, 03:20
try tossing one more sweetener into the mix (erythritol, stevia). That's when the party really starts jumping.
:lol: I have liquid ace-k, and some liq stevia lurking somewhere on the top shelf of my cupboard...... I will experiment with my afternoon tea today. :agree:

jadefox26
Thu, Mar-10-05, 03:29
I can;t tollerate that stuff at all - the taste is pretty horrendous, but it also brings me out in a rash!!!! I stick to the splenda!!

DJ Jayito
Thu, Mar-10-05, 12:03
I would suggest you avoid ONLY Aspartame. They have even come to the conclusion that the pink stuff isn't that bad for you either. Now... I will only use the pink stuff if I cannot find splenda. in sodas... I avoid aspartame and drink anything splenda. Diet Tonic Soda uses Saccarin (sp) and I will have that when I want a Gin and Tonic.

DJ Jayito
Thu, Mar-10-05, 12:05
I never cared for Stevia. Had nearly a licorice (sp) flavor. I don't like that flavor, aside for maybe if I eat fennel.

scott123
Thu, Mar-10-05, 16:27
:lol: I have liquid ace-k, and some liq stevia lurking somewhere on the top shelf of my cupboard...... I will experiment with my afternoon tea today. :agree:

Whoops, I meant "a good brand of stevia" Make sure you taste your stevia first, on it's own (diluted in water). If it's crummy stevia (and the chances are pretty good, unfortunately), combining it with ace k and splenda won't do much for it. Even though ace k tastes pretty bad, it rises to the occasion when combined with splenda. A bad brand of stevia, on the other hand, trashes just about everything you put with it.

DJ, there are good and bad(licoricey) brands of stevia out there. Steviaplus seems to be popular.

dane
Thu, Mar-10-05, 23:40
Thanks for the heads-up, Scott, but I couldn't find my stevia anyway............ think DH tossed it, as I didn't like it. Bet it was one of the crummy brands! :lol: However--I tried half splenda/some PoliSweet (ace-k/sacc mix) in my tea last night, and you're right! Maybe it's just power of suggestion, :) but it tasted sweeter w/no bad aftertaste. :yum: Thanks for making tea-time better!

scott123
Fri, Mar-11-05, 02:55
You're welcome Dane, glad you enjoyed it! :)

DJ Jayito
Fri, Mar-11-05, 10:55
Well... I haven't had Stevia in AGES! You are probably right. I was using / trying to use Stevia and KiSweet years before I started atkins, when my uncle showed me 2 other diets... (1) BLOOD TYPE DIET and (2) Low Glycemic diet. Basically, My blood type is O, so if I were to strictly stick to that diet, I would be doing atkins. HAVE ANY OF YOU HEARD OF THAT DIET? Low Glycemic diet is basically an atkins / southbeach diet, because you are only eating foods that don't spike blood sugar levels. Neither worked for me, though, because you couldn't consume any alcohol and still lose weight.