PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any good tofu recipes?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

r.mines
Fri, Oct-19-01, 07:30
Although 'good' and 'tofu' in the same phrase is an oxymoron (Karen's tofu chocolate pate being an obvious exception), I've decided I really must try eating the stuff once in a while. I'm looking for a main course recipe or two that totally disguises the stuff. I really do hate it! What I specifically hate is the mushy texture and bland taste, so any recipes that turn tofu into a spicy and non-mushy edible would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Rachel

Sharon
Fri, Oct-19-01, 11:20
Rachel, I'm impressed.... I"m not sure I have a recipe you'd really want, BUT later, I'm sure going to double look!!!

I remember when I would have eeked at the thought of eating tofu as well, but it's really okay!!

r.mines
Fri, Oct-19-01, 14:38
Originally posted by Sharon
I remember when I would have eeked at the thought of eating tofu as well, but it's really okay!!

No, it isn't, it's awful. I was hoping I only THOUGHT I hated it - I haven't eaten it in years. So I tried frying some up in olive oil with mushrooms and red peppers this morning. I ate it, but it made me a bit queasy for quite some time after. That's one way to keep the cravings at bay, I suppose!

I'll keep trying, though. Obviously I didn't disguise it well enough. I need it REALLY disguised. No bare naked toe-food for me. Blech!

Rachel

Karen
Fri, Oct-19-01, 17:32
My all time fave and easy to make.

Korean Style Tofu
Makes 6 pieces

Tofu

1 lb. block medium firm tofu
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt

Sauce

2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp. dried ground chilies, or more or less to taste
2 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onion
1 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

Slice the tofu into six pieces and lay out on paper towels to drain while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

Beat the eggs with the salt and set aside. Combine the sauce ingredients.

Heat 1 Tbsp. of vegetable oil in a large frying pan - preferably nonstick - over medium heat. Dip the tofu slices into the egg and place in the pan without overcrowding. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the tofu. Fry until golden brown on one side. Flip over and cook until golden brown on the other side. Transfer to a plate and drizzle with the sauce.

Total Carbohydrates: 21.8
Total Carbohydrates Minus Fiber: 18.6
Carbohydrates per Piece: 3.6
Carbohydrates per Piece minus Fiber: 3.1

Karen
Fri, Oct-19-01, 17:39
I've also made a savoury custard with bits of chicken, spinach etc and drizzled a bit of soy sauce, chilies and sesame oil. It's really good with soaked dried shrimp and green onions, but I don't know if you're ready for that yet. ;)

No recipe, but here is Doreen's for sweet custard. The only change I would make - besides making it savoury, not sweet - would be to place the dish in a larger pan of boiling water for baking. It may take a bit longer...

Tofu-Egg Custard

1 pkg Mori Nu light silken tofu, firm
4 eggs
1/2 cup bulk sweetener, or 12 packets, or 10 packets if mixing different types or stick yer finger in and taste to see when it's sweet enough for YOU ..
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp melted butter
freshly grated nutmeg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- preheat oven to 325F. Generously butter a casserole or custard dish, set aside. Make sure oven rack is in center, not down low.
- Blend everything but melted butter in food processor or blender, till smooth and creamy. Slowly drizzle in melted butter with motor running. Scrape down sides and blend a few seconds longer if necessary. Pour into buttered pan, dust the top with freshly grated nutmeg, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or till just beginning to puff on the edges. It should still be soft and jiggly in the center, like me ..
- cool to room temperature on rack, then cover and chill. When cold it has a dense, almost cheesecake-like texture.

- carbs -- 5.2 for the eggs & tofu (total) plus whatever sweetener you choose.
-1/2 cup splenda would add 12 carbs, ..
- 5 packets each splenda and sugartwin would add 7.5 carbs
- stevia adds zero carbs
- per 1/4 recipe serving, (with mixed sweetener) = 3.2 carbs, 12.5 gm protein.

doreen T
Fri, Oct-19-01, 17:47
It's best if you can let it soak in a marinade for at least ½hr. before cooking ... that gives it time to really absorb and take on the flavours, since tofu itself is so bland and tasteless.

The best description I ever heard about tofu is that it's an ingredient. Like plain unflavoured gelatin. Nobody would sit down and eat a bowl of plain gelatin, but mix other things and other flavours in it and voilą, it is transformed into something wonderful.

Doreen's All-Purpose Marinade

3 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar or other mild vinegar
.. or .. 2 Tbsp dry sherry
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 large clove garlic, finely minced
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
optionals - fresh or dried chili peppers, brown SugarTwin or Splenda, fish sauce (use a little less tamari), liquid smoke or minced chipotle peppers .. etc .. let yer imagination run wild

- this works with tofu, chicken/turkey, rabbit, swordfish, pork .. I've used with beef too, which works well with the smoke flavours.

Drain and/or press the tofu to get as much water out of it as possible. Slice or cut into cubes and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Turn or stir now and then. Fry in a wok or or slices can be put on an oiled baking sheet and broiled ... turn half-way through.

Next time, try to find extra-firm tofu. You might like the texture better -- it's a bit chewier and "meatier".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll think of a few more ideas for you .. never fear!

Doreen

Karen
Fri, Oct-19-01, 17:54
What about a faux hummous? Silken tofu, tahini, garlic and lemon?

Firm tofu egg salad? Mix in usual egg salad ingredients and add a teeny pinch of turmeric for colour.

Fish steamed or baked on tofu?

Karen