PDA

View Full Version : Here's my name tag...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

garhi
Wed, Mar-02-05, 19:22
Hello -- I just stumbled across this site via a Google search. I am currently 'experimenting' with a low-carb diet as a treatment for GERD. I learned of this approach just last week via the internet, specifically in an article by a Tom Cowan, MD. Also, I was looking into "metabolic typing" and all indications were that I was a "protein" type "H/G", whatever term you use. I went and bought "the protein power lifeplan" and started Friday night, and stopped taking Protonix, which I'd been taking for 6 weeks. It is working very well so far! As an ex-long time veg, and student of health and fasting, I had many prejudices to overcome in adopting this way of eating. I am becoming more enthusiastic, if still a tad skeptical. So far I've been not too obsessed with numbers of carbs, but the figure I read was "20 grams per day" (in dr cowan's article) or <10 grams/meal (protein power), so I shoot for that (not including fiber of course). I quickly discovered from gnawing on a large piece of smoked fish (home made and yummy) that eating "low fat" forms of protein doesn't work well/gives me a bit of heartburn. So I have been eating lots of: meat, salmon, veggies, whey protein w/ flax oil, and raw dairy/greek yogurt/cheese etc, to great effect so far. Just a little bit of berries for fruit, that's all, and I used to eat large amounts of fruit daily.

I would add to anyone thinking of doing this, your results will vary depending on your 'metabolic type', and I would advise you to look into this before you begin! typing "metabolic typing" into google.com should be a great place to start...or visit www.mercola.com (he has a free rudimentary test) or visit http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/rwgully/theories/metabolic_typing.htm

So...as a health-oriented nouveau adoptee of this regimen, I look forward to learning and sharing more, thanks for listening.

jadefox26
Sat, Mar-05-05, 10:45
Good luck with your weight loss journey! I have heard a lot about GERD on here, a lot of people talk about it - you might want to type it into search and take a look!
Emma xx