PDA

View Full Version : New to the low-carb life

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hereward
Tue, Mar-01-05, 07:19
Hi - I just started the low-carb regimen about three weeks ago, at the behest of my internist. My BP was running higher than he wanted to see it, and Atkins was the first program he sugggested. I started on it on February 11, 2005; today's March 1, and I've lost about seventeen pounds. My weight has stalled at this point, but I expected that. I haven't been hungry or irritable at all since starting; my overall energy level and mental alertness are higher than they've been in years. I'm not tempted to abandon Atkins; I don't miss high-carb food at all.

MissScruff
Tue, Mar-01-05, 09:22
http://madmonkeygaming.com/uploads/hello-tag01b.gif

tigerstar
Tue, Mar-01-05, 09:49
Congratulations on your loss so far, and welcome to the forum! :wave:

bob2112
Tue, Mar-01-05, 10:11
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your loss so far.

hereward
Wed, Mar-02-05, 06:32
Thanks, all - this is going to be even easier with all the support and good wishes. I've read everything I could get my hands on about the program, both pro and con. I made my living in chemistry for many years, and Atkins seems theoretically sound; those who disagree with him seem to be wed to a traditional dieting approach, and don't want to hear that there might be a different way. One size doesn't fit all...

Only one point I must disagree with: Dr. Atkins states in his book that the designation 'trans' for fatty acids resulting from partial hardening of natural fats comes from 'transformed'. That's not accurate; it actually refers to a rearrangement of the configuration of the chains attached to the doubly-bonded carbons. The natural alignment is called 'cis', and indicates that the attached carbons are both on the same side (in a plane); in the 'trans' configuration, they're on opposite sides (across from one another). Confused? It's a difficult concept.