PDA

View Full Version : milk vs cream

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Holly
Tue, Oct-16-01, 23:53
Ok, I want to know WHY heavy cream/whipping cream is better than milk.

I know that it is less carbs, I just dont understand WHY it is lower carbs. I have always believed that milk is milk and the only thing different is the fat content. So why are there more carbs in skim/1%/2% milk than the heavier ones?

I was trying to explain this diet to a friend and she asked me this and I was stumped. I am a bit embarrassed that I am spouting information without understanding.

Holly

Karen
Wed, Oct-17-01, 00:17
Very simplistically, a "natural food" is made up of fat, protein, carbohydrates and water. When one of the ratios is higher than the others, the ratios of the other components change. For example, these are the components of 1 cup of each:

Skim Milk
Total Calories 85.53
Total Carbohydrates 11.88 g
Total Protein 8.35 g
Total Fat 0.44 g
Water 222.46 g

Heavy Whipping Cream
Total Calories 820.58
Total Carbohydrates 6.64 g
Total Protein 4.88 g
Total Fat 88.06 g

You could have a pound of fatty beef or a pound of lean beef. They would still be beef and still weigh a pound, but the protein to fat ratio would change.

Karen

BillT
Wed, Oct-17-01, 01:01
Originally posted by Holly
I have always believed that milk is milk and the only thing different is the fat content.The more fat the less carbs! Get it?

IslandGirl
Wed, Oct-17-01, 01:15
Holly, the lactose in the whey (essentially the liquid with protein and carbs suspended in it) is where the carbs are... the lactose or milk sugar of course. There's lots more whey in the thinner milk than there is fat, and of course, lots less whey in the cream. More whey, more lactose, more carbs.

hockeygirl
Wed, Oct-17-01, 10:14
Hmmm, my little container of heavy cream/whipping cream says it has 1g Carbs per Tablespoon?

But Karen you say it is 2.79g per cup??

I need clarification, thanks!

Karen
Wed, Oct-17-01, 12:00
Whoops! Thanks! That was for 100 grams. I've corrected it to the 1 cup measurement.

The numbers are from our Carb Counter.

Karen