PDA

View Full Version : Where did my appetite go?!?!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jodyjamm
Tue, Oct-16-01, 17:10
Yesterday was the end of my first full week on Induction Diet. All is going well. I have not strayed once. Actually, after the third day, I didn't really want to. I feel fabulous! I have plenty of energy. I'm drinking my water and taking a multi-vitamin daily.

My concern is that I have completely and fully lost my appetite. The mere thought of chewing and swallowing another bite of meat, cheese or nuts literally makes me nauseous. I KNOW I need to eat to keep up the weight loss. I tried a slice of deli ham and had to spit it out. Not even carbs sound good! What is going on here? :daze:

Kristy73
Tue, Oct-16-01, 17:48
You say you feel fine? I am on day 3 and feel like I have a HUGE hangover. Did you get this, if yes, when does it end? From the sounds of it I am just like you, following strictly, drinking heaps of water and taking supps.

I know what you mean about the not wanting to eat thing. I think thats part of it, , , psychologically being turned off eating or something, so when we are let loose into OWL we don't go mad, haha.

Well, good luck, and let me know when the "feeling like crap" goes away!

Kristy :)

Natrushka
Tue, Oct-16-01, 18:19
Jody, one of the side effects of ketosis is loss of appetite thats why its so important to plan your meals. This way you're not left at the end of the day with therealization you've not eaten enough trying to get the calories in. Your best bets are fats; olive oil, butter, flax oil, mayonnaise,s alad dressings, the skin on your chicken. These food are calorie dense; a little goes a long way. Its so much easier to get 120 extra calories from some oil on your salad than it is eating some deli meat.

Kristy, the carb w/drawal usually passes in a few days. Your body is adjusting to burning fat for fuel in place of carbs. Give it time and keep drinking your water and taking your supplements and you'll be feeling better than ever shortly :)

Nat

Muse
Tue, Oct-16-01, 18:37
Kristy,

My day 3 was awful...dizzy, nervousness, light-headedness....and then, came...day 4, and I felt terrific! For me it was most important to take my vitamins and supplements, it made all the difference. The first 2 days I took none. What an amazing thing realizing how our bodies are effected by what we eat. Don't worry, it will pass and you will feel terrific...week 2 will be a breeze, lady!

Muse :)

Kristy73
Tue, Oct-16-01, 18:48
Thanks for the advice Nat and Muse. I am sure I will be fine.

One thing I forgot to ask though is, , I keep reading about "Salads"? I understand I can't have fruits, so no tomatos, but what am I allowed to have. I mean, can I basically have anything from the vegies list as long as I stay within my 20 carbs? Last night I had a zucchini and a green pepper fried in olive oil and sprinkled with sweet thai seasoning. Is this ok?

CONFUSED! :confused:

jodyjamm
Tue, Oct-16-01, 18:53
Kristy,

I understand EXACTLY how you feel. Day 3 sucks! However, as Muse said, it too shall pass. When it does, you won't believe how great you feel!

Any time I became overwhelmed with fatigue, headache, dizziness or upset stomach over the first week, I just focused on how TERRIBLE sugar is if my body is going through withdrawal symptoms to rid my system of it. When I focus on that aspect, it makes me even stronger about my conviction to stick to this. Afterall, why would one want to voluntarily "poison" themselves.

Perhaps it's a little radical for you, or perhaps it will help you too. Regardless of how you get through it, you will be so glad you did!

Good luck!

:hyper:

Kristy73
Tue, Oct-16-01, 19:06
I totoally understand that too. I remember when I was giving up smoking years ago and seeing the red patch under the nicotine patch and thinking, man if that does that to my skin imagine my lungs!

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will make it thru, hehe.

Kristy :D