PDA

View Full Version : snacking, bbq, and other LC issues

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kow
Tue, Oct-16-01, 15:02
Hey fellas, new member and new dieter here today. I want to lose about 30 pounds as quickly as I can while being safe about it and doing it slowly enough to be able to maintain...in other words, doing it just right as fast as I can :)

My questions are these: Is it bad to snack on little things every so often during the day? What I mean by this is like snagging 3 or 4 pork rinds, olives, etc. whenever I get that empty feeling...will that help or slow down my weight loss? I am constantly drinking water and stuff and downing about 70-90 oz. a day. As far as I can count, with my little nibblings here and there, I'm not taking in too many carbs at all - usually maybe a total of 1 carb per small snack.

Also, is it ok to eat BBQ chicken? And, you'll have to excuse my lack of cooking knowledge as I am an 18 year old male...and I know most of you can instantly surmise how very little I do know about cooking...but unless I'm mistaken, BBQ chicken is prepared chicken (baked, fried, grilled...whichever) with a BBQ sauce on it. BBQ sauce is usually pretty sweet, which usually implies..sugar! I'm very much trying to avoid any excess carbs at all (of course), so I was wondering if there is something I'm missing, or is there some kind of low-carb BBQ sauce?

Thanks for any help.

-Kow

Karen
Wed, Oct-17-01, 09:02
Snacking is fine! You may want to have six smaller meals rather than three large ones. Men have a much easier time than women with weight loss and you're young which is a great advantage.

Are you making the chicken at home or buying it? One suggestion is peeling off the skin, or if you are making it at home, using oregano, garlic and lemon instead. Also, there are are many places that sell rotisserie chicken which do not have and sweet stuff in the marinade.

There is a recipe here from the lowcarbluxury.com site

Spicy Mustard BBQ Sauce (http://lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-sauce11.html)

You're never too young or too old to start cooking! ;)

Karen

otenn
Wed, Oct-17-01, 10:01
Be careful with the Bar b Que Chicken. If you are making it yourself, as Karen suggested and asked, it is fine as you have control over what ingredients go in. But, if you are buying from a deli or restaurant, I would check with them for a nutritional count or ingredient list before eating any!

I remember one time when I was on vacation and staying in a hotel. I didn't want to eat at the restaurant, so I went to safeway and tried to buy some Bar B Q ribs from the safeway deli, they looked good. They had a nutritional label on them and with all the sauces and additives I think the total came to almost 30 grams of carbs, for just 2 ribs!!! :eek: And this was a pack of about 10 ribs, which I could easily have eaten myself.

So, buyer beware! Take charge of your shopping and you are certainly on the right track to be suspicious about prepared foods. Good luck.

Mari

Erin4980
Wed, Oct-17-01, 19:59
I was grocery shopping tonight and my boyfriend loves ribs and I thought - perfect I can eat that...
But then I looked the BBQ sauces, and oh my 14-16 carbs per a 2 tbsp serving...it's not worth it to risk it with eating out.

I bought this packet online that lists different restaurants and the carb/fat/cal count. And the lowest carb foods are at KFC, but the ones with sauce are really high in the carb count.
I bought a roasted chicken from the grocery store instead and it's great (and we can technically even eat the skin).

I'm going to look at that recipe too for BBQ sauce:)