PDA

View Full Version : Mothers of babies and small children

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

egnue
Thu, Feb-24-05, 09:48
Hey all, I have 2 babies, a girl 7 months and a boy 14 months. I know you are doing the math in your head, but they are both adopted. They are our miracle babies. We tried for 10 years to have them, needless to say I gained weight with all the treaments. How about all of us new Moms voice what is working for us and our crazy lives.

I do one workout before they het up another during nap time. I also quantity cook for myself. It is great becuse my son can eat the smae meat and vegies. My husband is thin!

What is your story?

Glendora
Thu, Feb-24-05, 09:56
Ahhhhhh, you knew I was going to answer now...don't be surprised... :lol:

I'm 37 years old. My older son is 18 years. My younger son is 19 months.

With my first son, I lost 70 pounds in 6 months, but the second time around I was much older and the weight simply has not come off. I was 190 when I had Colin; I went down to 150 in no time at all (must have been a lot of water weight) but suffered from postpartum depression and went on Zoloft. Right away I gained. I went up to 174 pounds.

By the time I started LC'ing I was "down" to 171 pounds (not much of a dip, I know).

So that's where I'm starting from. It is so, so hard to lose weight this time around.

For exercise, I love to do calisthenics because Colin runs over and sits on my stomach and laughs like crazy. He thinks it's all a game. It makes it a harder workout, but that's okay. I also like to carry him in his sling on my hip and take him for walks.

Congratulations on your darling miracle babies!

shanny2121
Thu, Feb-24-05, 10:01
I have an older son who is 8 yrs, and a baby who is 7 months. I also have a daycare in my home, so I have anywhere from 1-4 kids at any one time during the day (and night), not including my own. I have all the kids on a nap schedule, they all nap from 12:30-about 3:00 each day. We go for walks in teh morning (with a double stroller cuz always 2 babies) and I work out on my treadmill every nap. Meals are pretty easy, cuz everyone eats whatever I make, tho I do more balanced for the kids. I also do a LOT of crockpot meals to make it easier at 5:30-6:00. That is when a lot of parents pick up and some drop off, and my son does homework, etc. It gets really busy in my house, but Ilove it this way!
shan

monster66
Thu, Feb-24-05, 10:02
Hi Egnue!! I was doing the math!! Congratulations on your precious babies!! I have 4 children and my youngest are 11 months and 27 months. They really keep me busy. My older ones are 6 and 9 so they are a help. People comment on how I have lost so much weight and I tell them that running around after 4 and cleaning up after all of us leaves me little time for food or anything else!! That is not exactly an exxageration either. I just stay pretty busy and that helps me keep my mind off of food. My husband has never had a weight problem and none of my children do but eating this way is making me more aware of what they are putting in their mouths. I try to limit the bad stuff.
I have tried to get up before the babies to exercise but the youngest sleeps in our room and is a very light sleeper. Someone always wakes up and there goes my good intentions. I plan to walk some in the evenings once the time changes and it is lighter later. I was also going to Curves but once schools started and the childrens sports and activities got in the way, I gave that up to. I am determined to be a good example of lifestyle and eating for my children so we discuss food and why we should and shouldnt eat certain things and they are my conscience. If they see me eating something I shouldnt, they call me on it.
I think changing your mindset and being determined and forming new habits is the way to make this a way of life. I know once I got my head in the game the rest has been somewhat easy. Of course I would like to be at goal now but I am okay with continuing the journey. I will get there eventually. Good luck to you and your family!

Donna I.
Mon, Feb-28-05, 14:48
When I was losing weight (I am pregnant with #5, so that is over for now) I have to say that my biggest weight loss tip was drinking coffee! I know that every diet book ever written says not to, but I would drink 4-6 cups every day and kept the coffee on all day, and it kept me from snacking and kept my appetite down. A large cup of coffee with cream would fill me for breakfast and I never felt the need to over-compensate in the evening. I really had no formal exercise program, just running after kids and cleaning the house.

lsprout
Tue, Mar-01-05, 15:00
I just wanted to drop by to say hello. I'm Lisa, 28 years old and mom to 3 boys. Truth be told, I tried weaning my baby (age1) so that I could do this LC WOE. (I didn't think it was safe to be on Atkins while BF). But he wasn't having it, and I was having a hard time letting go ( I felt really selfish- but at the same time I only thought I would BF for a year and then be able to get back into shape). So, here I am having the best of both worlds! :lol: I'm losing weigh, slowly, but at least it's coming off. (I didn't lose all the weight in my profile from LC eating). Well, nice to meet all of you!! Talk to you later :wave:

MasonsMom
Wed, Mar-02-05, 12:22
I'm still BFing my almost 20 month old and I just started induction last Thursday. I've tested my breast milk and ketones aren't showing up in my BM so I feel comfortable being in ketosis and BFing. :thup:

I lost 6 pounds since I've started and I make sure that I'm drinking water ALL DAY LONG to make sure I'm not dehydrated.

I'm determined to lose the fat before getting pg with #2 ;) I was almost 20 pounds 'overweight' when I got pg with #1 and even though I'm back to my PP weight, I am still 'overweight' :help:

Glad to see there are other mommies out there looking for some support :wave:

fatnewmom
Fri, Mar-04-05, 20:26
My son in 4 months old. I breastfeed & am doing induction -- not that strictly though, and my ketones always test "trace". I've lost 8-9 pounds on Atkins so far, depending on when I weigh. It's taken me over a month to get here, for I had a few cheats & started induction again each time. Chocolate is my ultimate downfall.

I walk around a local lake, about 2 miles, almost daily with my son in the stroller or a Snuggli. I eat on the run & hardly have time to make a meal. Therefore, I often eat rotisserie chicken, slices of cooked chicken or beef, or hardboiled eggs already prepared at the local grocery store. I also eat string cheese, slices of deli meat, salads (from a bag, already washed), and canned tuna (gotta watch the mercury, though). My downfall is a double latte with half-n-half, LC cocoa & Splenda -- I drink one every day, which probably throws me out of ketosis. Also, I eat sugar-free chocolate in moderation.

SJ26
Thu, Mar-24-05, 17:09
Hey girls! SO SO SO glad that everyone is here because this is exactly what I'm looking for! :p Our DS is 6mos. old and I'm looking for support to lose my "before" baby weight....never quite got to where I wanted prior to the first PG. We want to get PG again in the next 6 mos. and since I had gestational diabetes w/ the first baby, I DON'T want it again! :help: I've starting a mod-Atkins this week w/ absolutely very few carbs....about less than 20 a day. I'm going to try to keep it up for a couple of weeks and see what happens. If I lose a few more and get really motivated, I'll probably switch to truly following Atkins since I know it works so well. So far, I haven't touch any "white carbs" for 5 days.....not much for some people....A MOUNTAIN FOR ME! I haven't even touch any bread, pasta, rice or sugars.... :Party:

So thanks for being here and prepare to see me A LOT! I love the support!

Sharon

egnue
Thu, Mar-24-05, 19:42
Hi Sharon,

You need to start a journal so we can write to you there as well. I would love to support you. We can do this together.

You can learn how to make a journal by going here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172775

egnue
Thu, Mar-24-05, 19:44
UG. My daughter's front two teeth are coming in and she is a mess. What a rough day it has been.