PDA

View Full Version : TALK ABOUT TORTURE

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

chelle
Tue, Oct-16-01, 10:50
I just wanted to let you all in on my morning experience....
If any of you have been reading any of my threads lately, you know that I have been craving sweets, actually chocolate, maybe b/c TOM, whoich I'm not supposed to be having either, due to the depo-shot.
Anyway, this morning I woke up and went to the kitchen to get ready and make breakfast and WHAT DO I SEE!!!!!!

DOUGHNUTS!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Can you believe that...This is what kind of support I get from home...To top it off, he(my boyfriend, that brought satan into my kitchen ;) )calls me yesterday and said I had to go to the store b/c we did not have any snacks in the house.....

He's killing me ya'll....And if he keeps playing with emotions I'm going to kill him.... :D

Not a good day for me....However, I am pleased to say that I did not have one single taste!!!!!!

Chelle

Tikerberi
Tue, Oct-16-01, 11:14
For the past several months I've been working as a temp. My "office" is right near the kitchen. I work at a major conference center, where there are events taking place each day. A very popular gourmet restaurant has the food contract, and so every single day I have to walk through the dining room and kitchen to get to the restroom or other offices.

They constantly have tables laden with all kinds of wraps, soups, salads, desserts, wines, and even greater things for the dinners. For some reason, I have been slightly tempted but not because of craving so much as simply a desire to taste the wonderful stuff. However, I've managed to walk by it without a problem.

Well, one day I did sneak a cube of cheese from their wine and cheese table, but that was all.

Why is it that some people have major cravings, and others don't? There was a time in my life when I craved sweets terribly. No longer do.

I recall something about my children's pediatrician saying not to worry about their cravings when they were lvery ittle, and to let them eat whatever they wanted. He said that they weren't programmed to eat anything in particular yet, and the cravings were a sign of what their body needed. So, if they craved and ate only carrots, its because of a lack of certain nutrients, or applesause, or whatever.

I recall going through periods of my adult life where I'd actually crave cake yeast (I loved the texture and taste), or raw ground beef, etc.

Still, since I'm on LC, I haven't really had any cravings...I think mostly because I'm staying away from sugar. That seems to start the cycle for me of craving all kinds of things.

Okay...back to work...gotta go deliver some reports...through the dining room where about 100 people are having lunch. :eek:

fiona
Tue, Oct-16-01, 12:00
{However, I am pleased to say that I did not have one single taste!!!!!! }

Well Done Chelle. That really shows how determined and motivated you are. Real focus on where you are going - slim, healthy and beautiful.

You will do it too if you keep this up. You will be surprised how quickly you won't WANT any carbs.

Take care.

dwala
Tue, Oct-16-01, 12:49
To my boyfriend, I explained without a trace of a smile that I would kill him if he sabotaged my diet.

I guess he believed me. He bought a grill and made cheeseburgers.

I admire your resolve; I would suffer faced with doughnuts.

goingfor60
Tue, Oct-16-01, 19:18
In my house BROWNIES are thrown in my face on a daily basis. Can I take them out of the oven? Can I grab that plate to put them on? Can I move something so the hot chewy brownies can cool.

Well the answer is NO I will not! You will go through a period of anger as I do and have. But then when you really look at those brownies or sweets and say to yourself - yeah sure I can move them or take them out of the oven, because my ass is no longer spreading from indulging in such evil treats. It will feel as good as having one.

Shannon

Lessara
Wed, Oct-17-01, 05:52
I will tell you that the week before my TOM, I crave chocolate which doesn't help my asthma too much ;)
My solution? Chocolate covered coffee beans... 4 of them. :D

chelle
Wed, Oct-17-01, 09:09
Hey Lessara, I have REALLY bad asthma also. Does this WOL help any with that???? I know there are other things that affect it, and in my case too many other things, but it would be nice to find some relief.....

Chelle

Holly
Wed, Oct-17-01, 09:32
I thought that I had great resolve for following my program and losing weight, then I stayed with a friend and while I still had pretty good resolve, her house was filled to the brim with sugar and snacks. It only took about 2 weeks to cave in and eat whatever they were eating.

I really have a lot of respect for those of you who have families that are not following the plan.

Holly

firespirit
Wed, Oct-17-01, 09:35
I too suffer from asthma, and I find the longer I stay away from sugar, the less problems I have with it. And when I've avoided sugar for a while, and then I have some--the sugar actually seems to "cause" an attack!

I haven't read anything medically to support it, but I know that for me this WOE definitely has a good effect on me regarding the asthma

My 2 cents,

firespirit

Lessara
Wed, Oct-17-01, 14:04
My Asthma sometimes happens when I have something that has sugar in it by accident.. I guess I should be happy, I have a sugar detector... :p

TryAgain
Wed, Oct-17-01, 14:15
I don't have specific cravings, but I do like to snack. I've got 3 kids, and when I pick them up from school, they all want to stop for snacks (we have a 45 min drive home). I make sure I always carry some kind of snack in my purse so I don't reach for someone else's junk food.

For you guys with chocolate cravings, have you tried Atkin's chocolate bars? only 2 carbs for a whole bar-- I find I only have 1/3 to 1/2 a bar at a time, or it's too rich for me. Personally, I think they're great.

chelle
Wed, Oct-17-01, 14:30
TryAgain, have you checked those bars for hidden carbs?????
I have never had them or checked into them, but I have read from several people on this site that they were full of hidden carbs....

Chelle

TryAgain
Wed, Oct-17-01, 15:51
The Atkins site promotes as 2 net carbs for Atkins dieters.

Again, I think you have to be careful to eat "real food" for carbs, but 1 carb a couple times a week in the form of chocolate, and a cup of tea, is really nice!

What I really miss is crunchy snacks. I just bot some Keto Tortilla Chips. They're not too bad, but a little reminisent of sawdust.

One snack I like, when I take time to make it, are cheese crisps.
I cut cheese into 3/4 inch cubes. Place them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and pop them into a 350 degree oven. Let the cheese melt until bubbly and crispy. (Be sure to use parchment; it sticks even to a well-greased pan). This gives me the crunch I like, and keeps me in a "real food group."

My biggest problem is that my kids eat them up!

imiq2k
Wed, Oct-17-01, 20:04
I like the atkins bars too. You may want to try them I feel I have a hard time eating a whole one too. For the chocolate craving they are wonderful!!!! they are sold by where you would find the power bars by the pharmacy, Atkins Advantage Bars